Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
This topic is about Fated
Group Reads Archive > June Random Selection Group Read: Fated by Benedict Jacka *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 21, 2013 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4746 comments Mod
Our June Random Group Read selection is Fated by Benedict Jacka.

Please feel free to join in the group discussion.

1. What did you think of Alex Verus, the main lead? How does he stand out as a lead protagonist? How did you feel about his magical ability? Did his actions and decisions make sense to you in light of the storyline?

2. The crux of this novel seems to be a conflict between Dark and Light Mages. Did this work for you?

3. How does Jacka bring London to life in a magical way, as an urban fantasy novel? Did it feel like a different town, in light of the magical storyline?

4. What did you think of the supporting characters and antagonists? Did anyone of them stand out for you? What about Luna?

5. If you were in Alex's situation, do you think you would have made similar decisions? How would you like to have Alex's ability in his dicey situation?

6. How was the action component of the book for you? Enough? Not enough?

7. As far as urban fantasy storylines, did you think this one did something different or was it traveling down a well-trodded path?

8. Was there a favorite scene or line for you in this novel?

9. Overall thoughts? 1-10. Or 1-5 stars?

10. Any books you'd recommend along these lines?

11. Will you continue the series?

12. Any questions you want to ask the other discussion participants about this book?

Magiccats | 280 comments This is quite different from our usual reads. I like it so far. Very interesting. the author really does have quite a wonderful imagination.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Hoping to start soon! Looking forward to this one.

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
Starting this one tonight...sounds like a good one!

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments I was trying to think of an actor who would be good in the role of Verus. I think Guy Pearce would be good as he does wise cracking odds are against him tough guy very well.

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I could see Daniel Craig as well. I'm about 40% in and liking it so far. I can definitely see why people compare him to Dresden. My two favorite characters so far have to be Arachne and Starbreeze...Both had me chuckling when they made their appearances. Not a lot of action so far. Hopefully things will start to pick up soon.

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments Lisa wrote: "I could see Daniel Craig as well. I'm about 40% in and liking it so far. I can definitely see why people compare him to Dresden. My two favorite characters so far have to be Arachne and Starbree..."

I can see Craig. That works too.

message 8: by Philip (last edited Jun 05, 2013 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments There might not have been adrenalin pumping action throughout, but a lot of cat and mouse with dangerous alliances kept it interesting to me. Starbreeze was very endearing, Arachnid creeped me out. Luna was sympathetic. I liked her. I don't know about the vibe between her and Verus. It felt more big brother little sister to me at first.

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments This also had a "noir " feel to it. It was like a hard boiled detective story. Different things swirl around the main character which at first seem like isolated events but then all come together and play a part in a single story. This is a nice twist on the "hard boiled" detective genre.

message 10: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 07, 2013 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm really enjoying the mystery aspect of this story. Can't wait to find out what they discover (view spoiler).

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm really enjoying the mystery aspect of this story. Can't wait to find out what they discover [spoilers removed]."

This is me with my hand clamped tightly over my mouth.

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments I really enjoyed this book, except for one part (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 09, 2013 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Philip wrote: "I really enjoyed this book, except for one part [spoilers removed]"

I agree Philip, but I'm hoping that gets taken care of somehow in the next book.

message 14: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished this and really enjoyed it (dare I say it, better than Harry Dresden...yikes!) From about the midpoint on, it was a real page-turner for me. Plenty of action to keep us Aficionados happy. I definitely want to continue with this story and read the next in the series.

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments I agree. I liked Verus a lot. And I think you are right, (view spoiler)

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments This series will tide me over until Supernatural comes back on. I have not read the Dresden Files but I did try to watch them on Netflix. I should give it another chance I guess but it didn't do much for me.

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I just started it. Did I see a nod to Dresen in the first chapter, where he talked about "a wizard who advertized in the Yellow pages in Chicago?"

Barely scratching the surface.

message 18: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
It's nice to see that he practices the oldest known form of self-defence, (view spoiler)

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "It's nice to see that he practices the oldest known form of self-defence, [spoilers removed]"

It's like Brett Maverick said (view spoiler)

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

Philip wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "It's nice to see that he practices the oldest known form of self-defence, [spoilers removed]"

It's like Brett Maverick said ..."

Yeah him and Grady. It's like Grady from Stanford and said (view spoiler)

I mean think about it... which self-defense policy works best, Hans Solo or Alex Verus?

(view spoiler)

I think Alex has Han beat when it comes to longevity.

message 21: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is a fun book so far. It's sort of "Dresden meets Rook Thomas." (or Storm Front meets The Rook)

message 22: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 4 stars

That's one of the things I liked about this book...Alex is not your typical hero type.

message 23: by J. (last edited Jun 21, 2013 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments I finished this a few days ago but was on a road trip vacation without internet. When I got back I saw there were responses and being new here, I wondered about what the spoiler removed note was. Now I see someone neatly makes sure comments don't ruin it for those who aren't finished yet. So, here goes. (view spoiler)

message 24: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, but, there was a scene early on when the Dark Wizards are Chasing Luna and Alex, and Alex is observing her "curse (magic)" working and he suspects that there is an "active" component that might allow her some limited control of it.

Just guessing since I'm only about 33% of the way through. It just seemed significant that the author mentioned that as prominently as he did.

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Philip wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "It's nice to see that he practices the oldest known form of self-defence, [spoilers removed]"

It's like Brett Maverick said ..."

Yeah him and Grady. It's lik..."

Should we make shirts that say "Alex ran first"?

message 26: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "Alex is observing her "curse (magic)" working and he suspects that there is an "active" component that might allow her some limited control of it. "

I do remember that section but I guess it didn't make enough of an impression for it to stick in my mind by the time I got to the end of the book. Thanks for pointing it out. Still to me it seems like the author would have Luna make some progress over time instead of the big jump.

Plus - can someone point me to the place where I can see how to suppress spoiler comments as I don't want to ruin this or any future books for those who aren't done.

message 27: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 17, 2013 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J Drew wrote: "can someone point me to the place where I can see how to suppress spoiler comments as I don't want to ruin this or any future books for those who aren't done..."

Just type the word spoiler between the < > symbols before the words you want to hide...and then type /spoiler between the < > symbols after the words you want to hide.

You can find these directions by clicking on the "some html is ok" in the top right corner of the comment box.

message 28: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Lisa, thanks. I knew it had to be there somewhere just didn't know where to look. I'll be sure to use it from here on.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started this and it's good so far. I enjoy magic noir, and this is definitely that.

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussion Questions have been posted!

Philip McClimon (philipamcclimon) | 32 comments 2. The crux of this novel seems to be a conflict between Dark and Light Mages. Did this work for you?

I think so. Within the story world, as in the real world, various factions with their own agendas vie and fight over power and advantage. Verus was drawn into and caught in the middle. I thought the philosophy of the dark Mages made them really a bunch of @ssholes on a power trip. I will be happy to see them get their come -uppance. (Especially Morden)

message 32: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Also on question 2 - yes, the Light vs Dark Mage conflict did work for me with Alex stuck in the middle and that gave it a more unique flavor. Considering that I didn't see the Light Mages as exactly the "good guys" either, it made me root all the more for Alex.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - rated it 5 stars

I liked how Jacka explained the difference between Dark and Light Mages, and that it's not good versus evil. (view spoiler)