The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

A Reader's Hangover or How to find something to read after a book you loved?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitriel (new)

Mitriel Hey there,

has it ever happened to you that you read a book/book series you really loved and then you started reading other recommended books but all seemed dull in comparison and you couldn't finish either? I don't normally find it difficult to read one book after the other, but recently I feel a little stuck. Any help or recommendations?
Thanks.

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) It happens to me once in a while, but then again I have never found myself without something to read. I would just go with a book that seems very similar to the one you loved. After finishing it, if you liked it you can keep going on that path. If not, it opens up doors to find other different books.

message 3: by Christian (new)

Christian Maria Morgan i read something totally different so I won't compare it to my totally awesome book and be disappointed.

message 4: by N (new)

N | 276 comments I've been reading books that just meander along with no point to them, not in a bad way just more life lessons I suppose. Going to read a few mystery/thriller to mix it up a bit.

I had the worst book Hangover from Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - that book was stuck in my head for ages.

message 5: by Mitriel (new)

Mitriel I'm thinking about going with something totally different, too. Just I guess haven't quite found it yet... :(

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Jun 02, 2013 01:12PM) (new)

Jonathan Jones Nicola wrote: "I've been reading books that just meander along with no point to them, not in a bad way just more life lessons I suppose. Going to read a few mystery/thriller to mix it up a bit.

I had the worst ..."

Birdsong is an amazing book, I had the exact the same problem too. I also had the same problem with Norweigan Wood and The Wind Up Bird Chronicals by Haruki Murakami as well.

message 7: by Craig (new)

Craig | 23 comments Sometimes I have to read a couple of short stories or a novella after I've finished a novel I really loved. They act as a palette cleanser before I can get stuck into another full length book

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (lovechild) | 280 comments For me. I found I was late to the game on a lot of classics, having read mostly contemporary books. So I set up a list of classics, to fill in those down time and that has helped.