Next Next discussion

I put it down, and said "Next?"

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt Howard I'm not proud to admit it, but I returned this book back to the library after about 50 pages. I loved Crichton's Congo, but I thought Next was kind of boring. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance

Aditya No you were right to return it.I have read all books written by Crichton & NEXT was one of the worst ones.The idea behind the book was interesting but the execution was so abysmal that it came across as an unintentional comedy.

message 3: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt Howard Thanks. I don't feel like a quitter now. :)

Abysmal... great word! I need to put that into circulation more

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think either of you read the same book I did. I found it to be intriguing, interesting throughout, and one of his better efforts.

message 5: by Matt (new) - rated it 1 star

Matt Howard Maybe I'm just getting too into YA stuff where the stories tend to go at a faster clip. I seem to lose interest if the beginning doesn't have enough momentum or there are too many characters introduced all at once.

Aditya Mick wrote: "I don't think either of you read the same book I did. I found it to be intriguing, interesting throughout, and one of his better efforts."

No as I said earlier I am a fan of Crichton & have read all of his works but Next had very few redeeming qualities.If you visit the GR page you will see most fans of his don't like it.I read it a long time ago but as far I remember it had 3-4 separate plots whose main protagonists were a talking bird & a transgenic chimp!!

The other books of Crichton (Jurassic Park, Prey) have a message about perils of technology but has enough of a story to back it up.In NEXT however he went so overboard and heavy handed to prove the dangers of gene manipulation his story became a complete mess.

Aditya Matt wrote: "Thanks. I don't feel like a quitter now. :)

Abysmal... great word! I need to put that into circulation more"

Never thought that way about abysmal..come to think of it even I should use it more..Lol..
You may try Prey or Jurassic Park by Crichton both are much better..

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike Not his best, but I thought it was a very good read.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Aditya wrote: "Mick wrote: "I don't think either of you read the same book I did. I found it to be intriguing, interesting throughout, and one of his better efforts."

No as I said earlier I am a fan of Crichton ..."

With the exceptions of Prey and Last Train Robbery (the latter I hear is his best), I've also read all of his books, and enjoyed them all. Next did have a lot of things going at once, but that's what made it interesting to me. I didn't find it difficult to keep up, it was a fast read, and as I said, I found it entertaining throughout.

As far as reviews go, I don't think "majority rules" is the way to decide whether or not one should read a particular book. After all, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown is averaging nearly 4 stars here on GR, but I wouldn't recommend that piece of garbage to anyone, and I loved all his other novels.

message 10: by Aditya (last edited Jun 02, 2013 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aditya Mick wrote: "With the exceptions of Prey and Last Train Robbery (the latter I hear is his best), I've also read all of his books, and enjoyed them all. Next did have a lot of things going at once, but that's what made it interesting to me. I didn't find it difficult to keep up, it was a fast read, and as I said, I found it entertaining throughout..."

I didn't find it difficult to keep up either however the content was pretty poor in my opinion but to each his own.I am glad that at least someone liked it.

Both Prey & The Great Train Robbery are amongst his best books.So get hold of them if you can.I completely agree with your opinion of The Lost Symbol, did not enjoy it at all though the other Brown books were amongst my favorite thrillers of all time.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's actually kind of funny... Lost Symbol and Next are fairly close where ratings are concerned here on GR, the former having an average of 3.54 stars, the latter 3.4.

Prey is on my radar, but I'm still unsure about GTR. Trying to get through Inferno now. So far, so good, only one thing's really annoyed me, and it was quickly forgotten.

message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Mick wrote: "With the exceptions of Prey and Last Train Robbery (the latter I hear is his best), I've also read all of his books, and enjoyed them all. Next did have a lot of things going at once, but that's what made it interesting to me. I didn't find it difficult to keep up, it was a fast read, and as I said, I found it entertaining throughout..."

I am surprised by the disappointment expressed towards this book. I love all of his work and I actually rate this as one of my favorites. I liked the multiple plots and I also quite enjoyed the possibility of a transgenic chimp. Crichton always pushed the boundaries and I think that's why his fans have such strong opinions one way or another on his works. I would recommend Next to any Crichton fan, it is perhaps not as succinct and tight as some of his others, but I loved it nonetheless.