YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Archives > June's Book of the Month - Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Join us this month in reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman!

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Synopsis: Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

You don't have to participate in the Group Read - it's entirely up to you, but if you read the book along with us or have already read it, we would love to hear your comments, questions, thoughts, ect. That's what makes the Group Read fun! Please keep from posting too many spoilers early in the month, though, as people might still be reading it. If you feel that you might "spoil" a part of the book by commenting, be sure to put something like "***Spoiler Alert***" or something to let others know to read at their own risk! And make sure to have fun!

message 2: by Dorna (new)

Dorna (crimsonskyx) This book is AMAZING! People should definitely give it a go.

message 3: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix *gigglesI Yay, read this too! I agree, Dorna. So gripping, wasn't it? In fact, I just bought Unwholly three days ago.

message 4: by Dorna (new)

Dorna (crimsonskyx) Daphne wrote: "*gigglesI Yay, read this too! I agree, Dorna. So gripping, wasn't it? In fact, I just bought Unwholly three days ago."

Yes it was. Unwholly was a bit brutal but I utterly enjoyed it. Some people didn't like the introduction of new characters but I just got sucked into the world again and didn't really care. Love truly is blind. I'm going to read the Skinjacker trilogy before UnSouled comes out later this year.

message 5: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 12 comments Anybody's reading it now for the group read?

message 6: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix I just finished it actually! A few days ago! Well, okay, I've already read this one, I finished UnWholly less than a week ago...

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Sapir wrote: "Anybody's reading it now for the group read?"

I'll be rereading it this month.

message 8: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 12 comments I am not entirely sure about this book.... Is it worth reading? I've read some mixed reviews. :P

message 9: by Brittany (last edited Jun 13, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

I'm starting the book tonight! I'm excited and I hope it lives up to my expectations!

@ Sapir - I haven't read it, but it was Kaitlin's choice for the BotM and I generally trust her judgement in books, lol. Of course, you don't have to read the book. It's entirely optional. If you don't think you'll enjoy it, work on some of the books for our other challenges. I'll be starting my "beachy" themed book after this one. :)

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Sapir wrote: "I am not entirely sure about this book.... Is it worth reading? I've read some mixed reviews. :P"

It is definitely worth reading.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Brittany wrote: "I'm starting the book tonight! I'm excited and I hope it lives up to my expectations!

@ Sapir - I haven't read it, but it was Kaitlin's choice for the BotM and I generally trust her judgement in ..."

Thank you. I love hearing that people trust my judgement in books. :)

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Kaitlin wrote: "Brittany wrote: "I'm starting the book tonight! I'm excited and I hope it lives up to my expectations!

@ Sapir - I haven't read it, but it was Kaitlin's choice for the BotM and I generally trust ..."

We tend to have similar taste in books! I'll be blaming you if I don't like Unwind. Lol. :P

message 13: by Brittany (new)

I'm a little over a third of the way through so far! It's really caught my attention.

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Just finished the book! It was definitely a compelling read and I look forward to picking up the sequel soon.

The scene of the actual unwinding was downright creepy! *Shudders*

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Great. I'm glad you liked it. :)

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Kaitlin wrote: "Great. I'm glad you liked it. :)"

Yeah, I can definitely understand why you'd want to read it again. Do you think you'll get to it this month? Between all your challenges, I'm surprised you have time to sleep! :P

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Haha. I have time. I'm also not reading that many books for the next challenge.

I got really behind in my reading in April and May, and I'm trying to catch up.

message 18: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Madsen | 6 comments Hi, I didn't really enjoy 'Unwind'. It felt a bit silly - I thought it would have been better as a 'black comedy' or something. The idea of dismembering teenagers seemed ludicrous and I just couldn't take it seriously. I also felt it was disjointed in parts and the links to real life stories seemed tentative at best.
However, it was an original story, and deserves some kudos for that :) hope I'm not offending anyone - it is good that we are all different and enjoy different books I think!

message 19: by Baker (new)

Baker (thewind) | 208 comments I love this author he made the ever lost series to which is AMAZING

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) "I like your dolphin."
Roland is not amused. "It's a tiger shark, idiot."

There are some pretty quotable moments in this book. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unwind (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neal Shusterman (other topics)