Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for nominations for Non Fiction poll

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We need nominations for the non-fiction poll, this is a very broad theme so go nuts. Let us know what book you are suggesting.

Rules
* can't nominate your own book
* only one nomination per person
* first 6-8 books will be chosen
* need to tell us why you are suggesting this book
* be respectful of other people's choices

message 2: by Rob (new)

Rob (robkirkham) I'll nominate Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway. I'm suggesting this book because I feel like it covers a lot of interesting concepts about human nature that would be more fully understandable if discussed in a group. I think it would be a very rewarding read. Also I think it's one of Hemingway's lesser read works, but I think it reveals a lot about the man.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 86 comments I nominate A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets.It is a heartwarming and inspirational tale of how a stray cat enriched the life of a homeless man.

message 4: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Nominate Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. One of the most significant scientists of our time or any time.

message 5: by Vikki (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Vikki (vikki1) | 22 comments I would like to nominate The Jigsaw Man: The Remarkable Career of Britain's Foremost Criminal Psychologist by Paul Britton. As a criminologist I am fascinated by crime and why people do it. I haven't got round to reading this one yet and it will think it will make for interesting reading and discussion. Paul Britton is an expert in his field.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (spg-) I nominate Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. An inspirational man and also I have the book and have been meaning to read it for a while now !

message 7: by JoBerlin (new)

JoBerlin Robert Edsel: The Monument Men

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee I would like to nominate The Undiscovered Country: Journeys Among the Dead because it sounds fascinating

message 9: by JoBerlin (new)

JoBerlin Sorry, I forgot to say something about the book:
It's about a group of men, serving in the US army during the last months of WWII. Task is to save artworks and monuments from being destroyed by German and allied soldiers. They also try to find hidden / stolen artworks. George Clooney is making a movie about this book and he's in Germany and this is how I learned about the book and got interested in the topic.

message 11: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Thanks, that's enough and some interesting choices

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.