Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway
This topic is about Lucifer, Vol. 1
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway by Mike Carey - June 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone. There are three books tied for second place for optional book discussion for the month of June.

This is the topic for our Optional Book Club Discussion for June 2013, Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway by Mike Carey.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of June.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our optional book club discussion everyone.

Paul | 286 comments I'mma gonna have to re-read this...
could turn into a full series re-read marathon if I'mma don't watch myself!

'kris Pung | 135 comments Paul wrote: "I'mma gonna have to re-read this...
could turn into a full series re-read marathon if I'mma don't watch myself!"

Me too I've got books 1-5 and love them but it's impossible to find book 6 at a decent price.

Paul | 286 comments 'kris wrote: "Paul wrote: "I'mma gonna have to re-read this...
could turn into a full series re-read marathon if I'mma don't watch myself!"

Me too I've got books 1-5 and love them but it's impossible to find bo..."

I have the same dillema, except in my case I can`t get my hands on Book 4... and no, I am not interested in paying over $50 for it.

Worse comes to worse, maybe DC will eventually re-publish this series in a "Maxi-Deluxe" format... in which case I may just be tempted to "re"-buy the whole damned thing.

Otherwise, there's plenty other stuff to read out there at reasonable prices.

'kris Pung | 135 comments Paul, looks like you're going to get your wish.
http://www.vertigocomics.com/graphic-...

Paul | 286 comments 'kris wrote: "Paul, looks like you're going to get your wish.
http://www.vertigocomics.com/graphic-..."

yikes $30 for a trade paperback?
that's gotta be a mistake... $30 for a Deluxe Edition, sure, but a TPB... wouldn't think so.

'kris Pung | 135 comments Paul wrote: "'kris wrote: "Paul, looks like you're going to get your wish.
http://www.vertigocomics.com/graphic-..."

yikes $30 for a trade paperback?
that's gotta be a mistake... $30 for a ..."

There are cheaper places to get it http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/luc...

Paul | 286 comments well, seeing as I'm only missing the 4th trade which ran issues 21-28 of the series, I'll wait and see what for the 2nd volume and make my decision then.

M0rningstar | 16 comments These new editions of Lucifer, are they "deluxe" in any way (better printed artwork, extra sketches, etc)? How do they differ from the existing TPB aside from the number of issues included? I've been hoping that this series would get the "Absolute" treatment à la Sandman.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 286 comments M0rningstar wrote: "These new editions of Lucifer, are they "deluxe" in any way (better printed artwork, extra sketches, etc)? How do they differ from the existing TPB aside from the number of issues included? I've been hoping that this series would get the "Absolute" treatment à la Sandman..."

So had I, but apparently they're simply "thicker" trade paperbacks

message 11: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Brillat (ava_brillat) | 14 comments So, I did spring for the tpb and I have no regrets. I had read one or two issues in this series but never got around to 'getting into it', even though I am a big Sandman fan and one of my favorite stories was when Lucifer gave the key to hell to Dream. I'm always wary of writers taking over characters in a story arc. I don't know why. I honestly have no logical reason to feel this way. But I do. And I have to say I was reasonably happy with the way Lucifer was characterized by Mike Carey and team. There were some times I wished he was a little darker. In Sandman, Lucifer is clearly very angry with Heaven and there's an undercurrent of complex emotion that I didn't quite feel in this tpb. Lucifer seemed more like a trickster rather than a rejected angel with an axe to grind. HOWEVER- I only read Devil in the Gateway and Children and Monsters. The quality of story-telling was the same- I fell into it the way I did with Sandman and I felt myself become completely immersed in the world.

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 286 comments Has anyone dished out for the new Trade yet?
I do have a question about it; the original trades were printed on "cheap" newsprint paper.

Is the new trade printed on the "better" glossy paper?... even though it is thinner... this "might" make it worth my while to buy the new trade, if they are.