Buy No Books June Support Group discussion

ttg's read list for No-Buy-June!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ttg (last edited Jun 30, 2013 12:14AM) (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I'll add the books and fanfics that I make my way through this month. (I'm somewhat capricious though, so I don't know yet which of the 100+ books/fics will go first...hmmmm....)

No-Buy-June Read list

1- Tomfoolery by Lou Harper (free read btw, for those interested)
2- Jailhouse Rock by L.C. Chase and Xara X. Xanakas (free to read, btw)
3- Late Night Snack by Lou Harper (free to read, btw)
4- Hell's End by Ally Blue
5- Dance with the Devil by Megan Derr
6- Nor Iron Bars a Cage by Kaje Harper (free read)
7- Treasure by Kim Fielding (free read)
8- Sinner's Gin (DNF) :(
9- Home Work by Kaje Harper
10- Compensations by Kaje Harper (free read)

message 2: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) I might get some ideas from your fanfic list! I haven't really dipped my toe into this realm yet!

message 3: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I might get some ideas from your fanfic list! I haven't really dipped my toe into this realm yet!"

As a heads-up, I read primarily X-Men: First Class, with an occasional Sherlock or Merthur dip. :) Kate is also a wealth of fanfic info if you like other fandoms too.

Mmmmmm....Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy...NOM NOM NOM.

message 4: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
One down, many to go! (I feel like my one has been nulled by Kaje Harper releasing her free LHNB novel Nor Iron Bars a Cage today...)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. I can't believe she wrote a novel-length story for that!

message 6: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Working though some free reads. I need to buckle down and finish my currently reading projects...

message 7: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I'm skittish to list my own-to-reads, like, "What if I don't even get to them?" But whatevs. This is kind of a low pressure zone, outside of the encouragement to not buy.

What I'm hoping to work through "sometime soon" is (in no particular order):

The Red King
Compulsion
Under the Rushes
Looks Over (and the rest of the Gives Light series)
From Darkness to Darkness
Nor Iron Bars a Cage (and other LHNB stories)
One Boy's Shadow
Whistling in the Dark
Home Work
Sinner's Gin
Giving Up the Ghost
Bonds of Earth
Tigers and Devils
Rough Canvas
JCP's Turbulence #5-#8
Petite Morts #14-17...

And then a bunch of fanfic (mostly XMFC) and online original fics like The Morning Star or Captive Prince: Volume One.

And then AFTER June, the Rifter. :-) Since I have to be able to buy parts 2-10 when I start it.

Along with those, fitting in GRNW reads that I own hut haven't read yet like Loving Luki Vasquez, Prey, and William's House.

Even with that crazy list, my next read after Hell's End is the borrowed Dance with the Devil. After that...? Unsure... :/ That's usually when the "buy that book" vibe comes into play, but this time, it will be "go back and pick a book" vibe instead. We'll see how the month ends up like...

message 8: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) You lucky thing, you haven't read Captive Prince yet??

message 9: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "You lucky thing, you haven't read Captive Prince yet??"

Yeah, I know. :) Last month I went and bought the self-pubbed vol.1&2 from Amazon (after the announcement she was moving to Penguin.) I wasn't sure if/when Penguin was going to release the new ebooks of 1&2 so I went and grabbed them.

message 10: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments She's keeping everything free on her livejournal for a month or so and then it will get locked down, so it would be good to read that first. That way if you want to look for some of the freebies at her lj you can still find it. Some of the free stuff is staying available even after the story itself is removed but I don't know what is/isn't staying up.

message 11: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Ais wrote: "She's keeping everything free on her livejournal for a month or so and then it will get locked down, so it would be good to read that first. That way if you want to look for some of the freebies at..."

Thanks! I'll check out what's free over there. I might end up waiting on CP until the third book is to be released. Less gnashing time while waiting... (Waiting is so much easier if you don't know how awesome something is...)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

ttg wrote: "Ais wrote: "She's keeping everything free on her livejournal for a month or so and then it will get locked down, so it would be good to read that first. That way if you want to look for some of the..."

Cowardly coward! It's not at a cliff hanger (exactly) and the UST has been satisfactorily resolved, so I think you should jump in. *pushy*

message 13: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments lol Yeah actually CP tends to stop at pretty good points between books so I wouldn't worry about huge cliffies etc. But if you want to wait you could :)

message 14: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Heh! We'll see. I'm lending my kindle CP vol. 1 right now. (I have the earlier version from online, but I'll hold out until my loan comes back. Then...So. Many. Books. ARRRRRRGH.)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

She did change some things between the online version and the published one, including a few character names and the name of Laurent's country. So if you intend to read the third one when it comes out, you should read the pubbed versions so you don't get confused.

message 16: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "She did change some things between the online version and the published one, including a few character names and the name of Laurent's country. So if you intend to read the third one when it comes..."

Oh, good to know! I heard some things were added for the pubbed version, so good to have that confirmed.

What's your guess on vol.3? 2014?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

She said with her advance she would be able to write full time, so a year seems reasonable. When she was balancing her writing with school and work she was very, very sssllloooooowww.

message 18: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "She said with her advance she would be able to write full time, so a year seems reasonable. When she was balancing her writing with school and work she was very, very sssllloooooowww."

What year did she start CP?

As an aside, I almost bought Line and Orbit, but stopped. (Damn Samhain. So affordable!) But no! No Buy June!! Wait for later!

message 19: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) I'm joining the mob in pushing you towards CP! One of my FAVS!

Let me know if/when you get around to Tigers & Devils. I'll read w/ you (it's on my list too)

I've also been meaning to read Compulsion, One Boy's Shadow, and Sinners Gin. I didn't target them for June, but again, if you do get around to them, give me a nudge and I'll BR w/ you! :)

Lastly, I loved Rough Canvas. I thought it was beautiful. And hot. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

ttg wrote: "What year did she start CP?"

I don't know. I started reading it in 2010 when she was almost done with Volume I. Now, as bad as that sounds, she spent about a year getting Vols 1&2 ready to publish so it didn't actually take her three years to write volume 2, but she was definitely NOT setting any land speed records.

message 21: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Twisted Hilarity: also not speedy.

message 22: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
LenaLena wrote: "Twisted Hilarity: also not speedy."

I've been interested in checking out the Last Pure Human, but didn't know if it's a good time to jump in now, or if I should wait out the storm until it finishes.

message 23: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "ttg wrote: "What year did she start CP?"

I don't know. I started reading it in 2010 when she was almost done with Volume I. Now, as bad as that sounds, she spent about a year getting Vols 1&2 re..."

Hopefully vol.3 won't take as long. (I think it's so cool she had it bought though. I hope that's a good sign for more m/m being published and put out there.)

message 24: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments ttg wrote: "LenaLena wrote: "Twisted Hilarity: also not speedy."

I've been interested in checking out the Last Pure Human, but didn't know if it's a good time to jump in now, or if I should wait out the storm..."

I'd wait. It could easily be another year or more.

message 25: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I'm joining the mob in pushing you towards CP! One of my FAVS!

Let me know if/when you get around to Tigers & Devils. I'll read w/ you (it's on my list too)

I've also been meaning to read Compuls..."

So, silly question, but I've never done a buddy read. Is it just "read at the same time"? (I tend to sink into a black hole when reading and don't read other people's thoughts about the same book until I finish. I don't know if I'm good BR material...)

But if that quirk sounds okay, and since T&D are on your list, when would you like to start? :)

message 26: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
LenaLena wrote: "I'd wait. It could easily be another year or more."

Okay. Into the "WIP-waiting" mental folder it goes... (There are several long fanfics in that folder which are just one chapter from finishing. I'm always "uuuuugh" when I see them. So close!)

message 27: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) actually, I'm a crappy buddy reader too because I tend to consume a book in 1-2 sittings. ha!

But, if anything buddy reading would make us accountable to at least start these books. :)

message 28: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I think I may try Kaje Harper's LHNB opus next. When would you like to BR Tigers and Devils? :) (We can be accountable to each other, even if we buddy read weird.)

message 29: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) The only reason I keep putting off Tigers & Devils is because apparently all the smut is off page. *sigh*. But, I'd be down to read it next...wanna start on Sunday?

message 30: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "The only reason I keep putting off Tigers & Devils is because apparently all the smut is off page. *sigh*. But, I'd be down to read it next...wanna start on Sunday?"

Sunday sounds like a plan. (I better get moving on this LHNB story. It's good so far...)

message 31: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I'm just here to pat myself on the effin back because I wrenched myself away from a DSP 40% sale on their historicals. HISTORICALS! Arrrrrggh. No-buy-June! Must. Stay. Strong!

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 28 comments Mod
Good job! It's almost like they did that on purpose just to tempt you and you beat them!

message 33: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Good job! It's almost like they did that on purpose just to tempt you and you beat them!"

Heh! I'm sure there are a few other people who were ready to jump on some juicy historical like A Devil's Own Luck or The Desire for Dearborne. Probably. Maybe. (Boy, did I get excited at first! I would have felt the same way if it was 40% off sci-fi or fantasy though...or mystery...or...) :)

No-Buy-June! Stayin' Strong!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

ttg wrote: "I'm just here to pat myself on the effin back because I wrenched myself away from a DSP 40% sale on their historicals. HISTORICALS! Arrrrrggh. No-buy-June! Must. Stay. Strong!"

Kudos!

message 35: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) When it comes to historicals for me...it could be no-buy lifetime. ha!

message 36: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "When it comes to historicals for me...it could be no-buy lifetime. ha!"

Heh! I love a good historical (especially since these ones have happy endings. I'm not a fan of the tragic, life-sucks, everyone dies, old timey ones.)

message 37: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) Susan wrote: "The only reason I keep putting off Tigers & Devils is because apparently all the smut is off page. *sigh*. But, I'd be down to read it next...wanna start on Sunday?"

Don't hate me...but I'm bailing out on this. Ha! I just canNOT get myself to start this book...I don't know why! I know people love it, but every time I even think about reading it, I'm just 'meh' about it. ha!

You read it first (ha!). And if you love it, I'll read it! :) hehehehehe!

message 38: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Susan wrote: "The only reason I keep putting off Tigers & Devils is because apparently all the smut is off page. *sigh*. But, I'd be down to read it next...wanna start on Sunday?"

Don't hate me......"

No worries! Reading should be fun--not pressure. :) This will give me a little more time to finish Kaje's story. (I'm only 30% in. Good so far still.)

message 39: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) ttg wrote: "This will give me a little more time to finish Kaje's story. (I'm only 30% in. Good so far still.) ..."

Have you read the Prisoner 23432t5o343 (<-sorry, couldn't remember the number/actual title! ha!) story yet? I uploaded it onto my Kindle. May read that on the plane tonight.

message 40: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "ttg wrote: "This will give me a little more time to finish Kaje's story. (I'm only 30% in. Good so far still.) ..."

Have you read the Prisoner 23432t5o343 (<-sorry, couldn't remember the number/ac..."

I haven't read it yet. It sounded kinda dark, and I was wondering about how intense it might be. if you read it, I'll look forward to your review. :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought Prisoner-too-many-numbers was more maximum hurt/comfort than it was intense. Also everything is prettied up and tied in a neat bow by the end--so it's fluffy as far as I'm concerned.

As far as how intense is the opening of Prisoner? Maybe on par with the beginning of Evenfall and the scene where we first meet Hsin, a little less than the scenes in the Lubyanka with Vadim in SF.

message 42: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I thought Prisoner-too-many-numbers was more maximum hurt/comfort than it was intense. Also everything is prettied up and tied in a neat bow by the end--so it's fluffy as far as I'm concerned.

As..."

I haven't read Evenfall or SF yet, so I'm not sure on the intensity rating. My guess from your ultimately fluffy review is that it's not Yakuza Pride endless torture. Or Flesh Cartel. That's kinda my line for abuse/torture/intensity.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read Flesh Cartel. It's not as graphic and extended as the torture in that captivity scene in Yakuza Pride (which I thought was pointless and shouldn't have been in the book). It's more inchoate. Lots of being told that the guy is always being tormented, is always in pain, is used as a human experiment, very little showing of anything and not at an explicit or graphic level.

message 44: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I haven't read Flesh Cartel. It's not as graphic and extended as the torture in that captivity scene in Yakuza Pride (which I thought was pointless and shouldn't have been in the book). It's more..."

I only read the first excerpt from FC, and it was enough to alert me that it was too much for me. (The YP extended torture scene(s) threw me out of that book. It reminded me of "abuse fics" in fanfic, and felt so tonally different from the rest of the story. I remember I finished it late at night, and didn't know how to come down from such a overly-violent book.)

Your description sounds okay though. That's definitely do-able. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with the YP scenes. For one thing, they didn't fit the rest of the book, they felt exactly like gratuitous abuse fic scenes added for shock value and there was zero lead up or forshadowing, so it seemed to come out of nowhere. Like "uh oh. I need the make the bad guy demented and evil here. I must SHOW that he is sadistic and deranged. I know! Some horror will do". Again with the DSP editing fail. I really liked the first half of YP, then it went off the rails. The ending was just farcical.

message 46: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I agree with the YP scenes. For one thing, they didn't fit the rest of the book, they felt exactly like gratuitous abuse fic scenes added for shock value and there was zero lead up or forshadowing..."

I felt the same way (and they were endless! It was almost a quarter of the book!) I kept thinking "This HAS to end soon. You can only tattoo people with ice picks and torture them with electricity and dildos for so long. BUT NO. And the thwarted escape attempts. I had to skim to get through.

And I agree, I really enjoyed the first half, so that addition was a bizarre and unhappy surprise. :(

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

The aborted escapes made no sense either. Bad guy had some sort of sixth sense to know when to run home and stop them from getting away. Then they had the silly part of how to get the Yakuza guy into the US in the end. Eye-rollingly silly.

Thanks, ttg. I'd successfully forgotten most of that until you brought it up. *glare*

message 48: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Thanks, ttg. I'd successfully forgotten most of that until you brought it up. *glare*"

Heh! Sorry. :D Go find something short and fun to read to get that taste out of your head.

message 49: by SYL (new)

SYL (syleegurl) I read the first 3 and just...gave up afterwards. The books were short, expensive, and sexual torture over and over again...Yeah...no thanks.

message 50: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I read the first 3 and just...gave up afterwards. The books were short, expensive, and sexual torture over and over again...Yeah...no thanks."

Yeah, I just can't read it. It's too intense usually and upsetting. :/

« previous 1