Fantasy Fanatics discussion

The Rithmatist (Rithmatist, #1)
This topic is about The Rithmatist
June 2013 - The Rithmatist > The Rithmatist - Chapters 21-End

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Here is where we can discuss The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson chapters 21-End.
DO NOT post any spoilers from further along in the book, this is just for chapters 21-End.

Kristina (spaz_girl) Okay, I finished.

The story I actually really really liked.
The idea of the warding system I can comprehend.
To the chalk demons, I am sorry. My suspension of disbelief does not extend to tiny little chalk drawings running across the ground to skin me and eat my eyes. To you I say:

Kaora (ophelja) I hated the characters: selfcentered boy (My wishes are the most important) meets completely irrational female (I'm mad at you for something you did last week!!) and both do whatever they want without consequence including intentionally trying to fail a course, intruding on a murder investigation, etc. However I enjoyed the ending. Not sure if I'd read any other books in the series though. I'm not that into YA novels.

Paul Really enjoyed this book. It took me a while to get into the chalk drawing thing but once i did i thought it moved at a good pace and I was never bored. I really enjoyed the worldbuilding, and I am looking forward to exploring further in later books. I agree that the main character was not particularly likable but that was not a dealbreaker for me although it did feel like Sanderson sometimes had to struggle with the plot in order to keep him central to the story , when the adults would probably have sideline him fairly early in real life. That is always the challenge with YA books and there are times here when it doesn't quite work. Overall i did enjoy the book and I would definitely want to read more in the world.

Katy (kathy_h) I too enjoyed the book. I would definitely be up to reading the next one whenever it comes out.

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
I also enjoyed this book! I also had some of the same issues mentioned above but I am looking forward to learning more in the next book!

Gianluca (gianlucag) I liked everything about this book. It had an interesting story, likable characters and entertaining writing style. The magic system was also pretty great and surprisingly complex.