Fantasy Fanatics discussion

The Rithmatist (Rithmatist, #1)
This topic is about The Rithmatist
June 2013 - The Rithmatist > The Rithmatist - Prologue-Chapter 5

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Here is where we can discuss The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson chapters Prologue-5.
DO NOT post any spoilers from further along in the book, this is just for chapters Prologue-5.

Bill Like the illustrations of the different defenses before each chapter.

Kristina (spaz_girl) The illustrations are neat. I am not used to anything more than a map in a fantasy novel. I am really put off by the magic system though. I mean, chalk drawings... really?

Bill Well it is a YA novel after all. This is definitely a much simpler and lighter magic system than mistborn and way of kings. After writing a complicated thousand page book in the way of kings and finishing wot this is probably an easy write that lets him relax a bit.

Kristina (spaz_girl) Bill wrote: "Well it is a YA novel after all. This is definitely a much simpler and lighter magic system than mistborn and way of kings. After writing a complicated thousand page book in the way of kings and fi..."

True enough =)

Kaora (ophelja) This being my first novel from Brandon Sanderson I'm kind of glad that is not a reflection of his others. I don't really like YA novels, and this one is no exception. I find the main character quite selfish and annoying. It makes me not want to read his other books, but if you say the others are better I'd like to give them a shot.

Kristina (spaz_girl) Allison wrote: "This being my first novel from Brandon Sanderson I'm kind of glad that is not a reflection of his others. I don't really like YA novels, and this one is no exception. I find the main character quit..."

I really loved Elantris, which we read last month and which was my first Sanderson novel. So if you aren't enjoying this one, I still really suggest his other ones. =)

message 8: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey Stewart (skelanimalsluv) | 25 comments I just finished Chapter 5 and I'm liking it so far. I do sense a little, 'Poor Me' attitude from Joel though. But the book does make me want to take chalk outside and try drawing some of the defenses. LOL

In these 5 chapters, so far, I'd say my favorite character is Fitch.

Annarose Mitchell (asmitchell) | 2 comments Casey wrote: "I just finished Chapter 5 and I'm liking it so far. I do sense a little, 'Poor Me' attitude from Joel though. But the book does make me want to take chalk outside and try drawing some of the defe..."

I too feel some urge to go draw on the ground outside!

That first chapter was good! I really like how we got to see the magic system right away. Its seems quite unique. I like Joel so far although i can feel a little poor me vibe from Joel as mentioned above.

I just finished chapter 5! I am really liking the drawings and explaining of the all the defense. Even though I don't read a lot of YA. I personally love Sanderson's writing style. Its just flows and is easy to read really quickly.

message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) I lent my book out and won't see it until the end of the month. Oh well, I will read your conversations then and join really late.

That's fine! Just read it when you can and enjoy our conversations! You can read the other books we reading!