Totally Random Tour discussion

Another question: where do you write?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
So, I have another question, because this is always something that intrigues me... where do you guys write?

As I'm currently sitting in a cafe, I definitely slot in to that old writer cliche! But something about the ambient noise (and coffee) really helps me sink into my writing headspace. I used to write best when I was supposed to be listening to lectures at uni (parents, look away!). Apparently, engaging my brain in creative work when I'm supposed to be concentrating on something else is what works for me!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
Did you hear about that new online app that plays the ambient sounds of a cafe to help you work? It's called Coffitivity and is pretty cool:

http://coffitivity.com/

message 3: by Karen (new)

I can sometimes work in a cafe, but more and more these days I'm needing to just stay in one place - somewhere a bit quieter. I have converted about a quarter of the main living space of my flat into a tiny office corner. That's where I do a lot of my writing now.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
In my old flat, I used to write at a desk in the corner of the living room, so when I moved into my current house, I was full of plans to turn the spare room into a study. But it was cold, and sitting at a desk got uncomfortable… so I decamped to the living room. Now, I write on the sofa, usually with G-Dog (my rescue greyhound) snuggled up to me.

I wish I could write in public places, but alas, I get too distracted, and feel too self-conscious, although I can write on trains sometimes.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Um no, Karen, I hadn't heard of Coffivity but that sounds AMAZING! I'm going to have to check that out when I get home.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Emma, talking of writing on trains I have NEVER been able to do this. Until just the other day! I actually wrote a 1,000-word scene in the notes app on my BlackBerry. My thumbs hurt afterward.... :)

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
Hooray, Karen! The trick is to get 2 seats to yourself and then give off your best don't-sit-next-to-me vibe. Otherwise you end up elbowing your fellow passengers as you type, which doesn't go down well!