Totally Random Tour discussion

Totally Random Tour: Authors in Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penguin Random (new)

Penguin Random House Children's | 2 comments Mod
Please welcome our TOTALLY RANDOM TOUR authors Amy McCulloch, Emma Pass and Karen Mahoney! They will be here for the next hour discussing life, writing, and everything in between!

(Do remember that this is not a Q&A session, and the authors will not be answering external questions)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Hello from the Foyles Cafe in London!!

I'm very excited to be on the Totally Random Tour with Emma and Karen today. By way of introduction, here's my official bio:

Amy McCulloch is a Canadian living in London, who fits writing around work as a Commissioning Editor at one of the UK's leading fantasy imprints.

She was bitten by the travel bug at an early age while accompanying her parents on buying trips around the world for their oriental carpet business. It was this love of travel that inspired her to set a novel in a hot, desert location (moving to freezing Ottawa, Canada, where her first winter hit -40°C, might have had something to do with that too). She studied Medieval and Old English literature at the University of Toronto.

The Oathbreaker's Shadow is her first book, and it is published by Random House Children's Publishers UK on 6 June 2013 (and in Canada on 4 June).

...but essentially all you need to know about me is that I'm a Canadian editor, living in London, about to release my first ever YA fantasy book NEXT WEEK! Exciting.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
I know I'm supposed to be introducing myself, but I just have to say that I think it's so cool that Amy's day job is a commissioning editor. :)

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
Hello from, er, my desk on the landing… (although I do have coffee!)

I'm very excited to be here too (hi Amy and Karen!). My official bio: I've been making up stories for as long as she can remember. My debut novel, ACID, a dysoptian thriller, is out now, and will be followed by another stand-alone thriller for young adults, THE FEARLESS, in 2014. By day, I work as a library assistant and live with my husband and a rescue greyhound, G-Dog, in the North East Midlands.

message 5: by Amy (new)

It makes my days ridiculously filled with books and reading. Is there a world without books? Actually, does Twitter exist outside the book world? I'm not sure that it does ;) my Twitter stream is always filled with book news, book people, book gossip and my next great read!

message 6: by Karen (new)

And here's MY sort of official(ish) bio:

THE IRON WITCH, THE WOOD QUEEN & THE STONE DEMON make up my YA contemporary fantasy trilogy for Flux in the US and Random House in the UK. It’s about alchemy, dark elves, and a girl with magical iron tattoos. FALLING TO ASH (September 2012), began a new series for Random House UK about an ass-kicking teen vampire called Moth.

In my varied ‘career’ I’ve been a professional Tarot reader, a college counsellor, a dating agency consultant and a bookseller. Ever since I was six years old what I really wanted to be was Wonder Woman, but have instead settled for being a writer which is the best job of all! Currently, I live in London with way too many books, am a total geek, and really don’t mind if you call me Kaz.

message 7: by Emma (new)

(Er, dystopian… I was typing too fast. Sorry!)

message 8: by Karen (new)

I'm sensing a theme here. We're all obsessed with books... Hmmm... ;)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Um, Karen, can you read my Tarot cards? I need you to predict whether there is bestsellerdom in my future.... hehe

Hi Em!! ACID was awesome, and can't wait for THE FEARLESS.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Haha! Amy, maybe one day I will read your cards in person. I'm pretty good (she said, modestly)... :D

message 11: by Amy (new)

Just posted my first question as a new discussion topic! :)

message 12: by Karen (new)

And HI EMMA!! I want to know if there will be more in the ACID world. I'm looking forward to THE FEARLESS, too - very much - but I wouldn't say no to more of your awesome UK dystopia.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Thank you, Amy and Kaz! Back atcha with your books - they are all AMAZING.

No plans for a sequel to ACID yet… but never say never! If the opportunity arose, I would love to write one.