The Clockwork Salon discussion

has anyone read this?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Has anyone read "The Court of the Air"? I'm reading it right now and it is amazing! It's original and yet still some of the best steampunk elements such as the trusty dirigibles.
It is worth ur time if ur lookin for something new to read. I already ordered the next book. It's not really a continous story but the next one, "The Kingdom Beyond the Waves" has some of the same characters on a different adventure.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I just read a bunch of the reviews for this book and it seems some people thought there was too much going on. I'm the kind of person that loves a book with lots of characters and subplots that all come together in the end. If your the type of person who can't keep several things straight at a time while your reading then i guess this book is probably not for you. However if you're the type that can this book sparkles!

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison Diem (miriad79) | 1 comments I just picked this up at the bookstore- will get back to you when I've finished it. :)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda nice, I've just started the second book, The Kingdom Beyond the Waves and I already love it

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (thecrowsayskaw) I read it and "The Kingdom Beyond the Waves" and liked them both. It has a steampunk feel to it but isn't set in Victorian England like the (seeming) majority of the books in the genre.

The only downside I can see to the series is that it's taking forever to reach the US. If you're impatient, like myself, order it from Amazon UK or something similar.

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Jun 12, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

Amanda Eldritchmonkey wrote: "I read it and "The Kingdom Beyond the Waves" and liked them both. It has a steampunk feel to it but isn't set in Victorian England like the (seeming) majority of the books in the genre.

The only ..."

Yeah, it does seem like most of the more mainstrem steampunk is set in the victorian era, although steampunk is really just any story with the sort of technology from when steam engines were the ones used in everything, they can actually be set anywhere.
I love Amazon UK, but I did a search to see where I could get The Kingdom Beyond the Waves, (which I'm reading now) and I ended up getting it over a month ago for 4.99 from some site that was called Books4less or something like that.

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Jun 13, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Amanda I remember, it was called allbooks4less.com and it is a worlwide seller, that's why they had it so cheap.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (thecrowsayskaw) Amanda wrote: "I remember, it was called allbooks4less.com and it is a worlwide seller, that's wy tey hadit so cheap."

Ooooh... another source for books. Thanks!

Emmett, Klaude, & Mingan Davenport (theclockworkcabaret) | 12 comments Mod
I just picked up this book and I'm looking forward to reading it. The description on the back really got my attention.

message 10: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne | 6 comments i read and its definately steampunk but kinda boring.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Siemann (catherinesiemann) I wasn't a big fan of it either; my book group read it and (except for one person who adored it wholeheartedly) we thought it had a lot of potential but only lived partially up to it.

I am, however, still planning on reading The Kingdom Beyond the Waves, because I loved the character of Amelia Harsh.