Laugh out Loud Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Older Threads > Polls Closed for June Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If you had a book you wanted to read in May, but didn't get to nominate it, please nominate it for June. I look forward to hearing what books people have in mind to read as a group...

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Cater Street Hangman - Anne Perry

message 3: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I would like to include a second one if that is okay.
Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's fine. Thank you for the recommendations.

message 5: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am addin 2 (If I am allowed):

I fancy a Crime/Thriller. Here are my 2 suggestions if possible with the Synposis of them both.

Fallen Idols - Neil White

Everyone would kill for their fifteen minutes of fame! A Premiership footballer is shot dead in cold blood on a busy London street, and a country is gripped by terror. Who is behind this apparently motiveless killing -- and who's next in the firing line? Jack Garrett is determined to find out. A small-time journalist who's left behind his Lancashire roots for the glitz and glamour -- and seediness and squalor -- of the capital, he's convinced this is no celebrity stalker. Aided and abetted by DC Laura McGanity, desperately trying to juggle police life with motherhood and her feelings for Jack, the trail takes them back to Jack's home town of Turner's Fold -- and his past. What's the connection between the recent murder and the death of a young girl 10 years before? Conspiracy, revenge and the high price of fame all combine in this stunning debut from a dazzling new voice in crime fiction.

The Righteous Men - Sam Bourne

This work presents a blisteringly high-concept serial killer thriller combined with delicious religious conspiracy theory from a hot new British talent. It shows two murders at opposite ends of America, one in the backstreets of New York City, the other in the backwoods of Montana. It presents a series of killings in every corner of the globe, from the crowded slums of India to the pristine beaches of Cape Town. There can't possibly be a connection. That's the instinct of Will Monroe, a young, British-born reporter for "The New York Times" - until the morning his beautiful wife Beth is kidnapped. Holding her are men who seem ready to kill without hesitation. Desperate, Will follows a trail that leads to a mysterious sect right on his own doorstep - fervent followers of one of mankind's oldest faiths. He will have to break through multiple layers of mysticism and ancient prophecy, unearthing riddles buried deep in the Bible - until he finds the secret that is said to have animated the world for thousands of years, a secret on which the fate of humanity may depend. But with more murders by the hour, and each clue wrapped in layers of code, time is running out...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiona, that's fine. I told Perpendicularandi it was okay to nominate 2 because our group is still growing and somewhat shy. :) Thanks for the nominations. I will open up voting half way through May.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I'd like to nominate Big Stone Gap and Ella Enchanted.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2009 02:34PM) (new)

So far we have the following for June Group Read nominations:

1. The Cater Street Hangman
2. The Shadow of the Wind
3. Fallen Idols
4. Righteous Men, The
5. Big Stone Gap
6. Ella Enchanted
7. The Book of Lost Things
8. Tamar A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal

If you would like to add to the list, please post your nominations here by Sunday evening because I am going to close nominations and open the polls Monday morning, May 11. Thanks again for everyone's participation.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes Kristen. You can nominate 2. When we vote we will read the top 2 picked. Thank you for your nominations! I want to read The Book of Lost Things as well.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Remember to please post your nominations here by Sunday evening because I am going to close nominations and open the polls Monday morning, May 11.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay everyone... the polls are open for voting! I sent out an e-mail inviting everyone to participate in the voting.

Dont Forget: Polls will only be open through Sunday, May 17, so get your votes cast!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't forget to get your votes in! Only a few days left and the votes are close in numbers... Thanks to everyone who has participated!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.