Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23961 comments Mod
As per Otis, librarians may now use Amazon data for Goodreads book records.

Have fun.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ (BerryNumey) | 847 comments Finally o.O
Cool.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2392 comments LOL...this should be interesting

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Also, I updated the two Manual entries I know of that are relevant; please let me know if I missed one.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 2695 comments So back to the "Take the Look Inside" bits off images?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 23, 2013 11:05AM) (new)

Yes. Edit: Wait, are you asking if those should be replaced with covers lacking that? Yes. If you're asking something else, I'm confused.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5058 comments And only Kindle editions with the Kindle logo cover?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 23, 2013 11:11AM) (new)

Covers either with or without the Kindle logo are ok, as far as I know.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5058 comments so people can add a cover with "Kindle edition" on it to a paperback book if the cover is the same for the paperback edition?

message 10: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 1018 comments I hope this won't mean a lot of images with the 2 white bands on the sides... (like this :-) Can we crop them?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Paula wrote: "so people can add a cover with "Kindle edition" on it to a paperback book if the cover is the same for the paperback edition?"

Ugh. No, that would be a good reason to substitute a different image.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Moloch wrote: "I hope this won't mean a lot of images with the 2 white bands on the sides... (like this :-) Can we crop them?"

Sure. Cropping whitespace is fine.

message 13: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 2695 comments Moloch wrote: "I hope this won't mean a lot of images with the 2 white bands on the sides... (like this :-) Can we crop them?"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

turns into

Better image :)

message 14: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited May 23, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 3114 comments http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I have found those books with a note not to put description and covers, I though it is because they seem to be only on Amazon. Can I update? I'm asking because the reason for the librarian note is not stated.

Note: Please do not add a photo or description to these books. Failure to comply with this may result in the loss of your Goodreads librarian privileges.

I think it's good to crop the take a look inside text as well.

message 15: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 1018 comments Emy wrote: "Moloch wrote: "I hope this won't mean a lot of images with the 2 white bands on the sides... (like this :-) Can we crop them?"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I......"

THANK YOU! I didn't know that, you saved me a lot of time! :-)

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I though it is because they seem to be only on Amazon."

No. That's not why. Please do not alter those.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 3114 comments rivka wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I though it is because they seem to be only on Amazon."

No. That's not why. Please do not alter those."

Ok, thanks

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5058 comments rivka wrote: "Paula wrote: "so people can add a cover with "Kindle edition" on it to a paperback book if the cover is the same for the paperback edition?"

Ugh. No, that would be a good reason to substitute a di..."

phew! that's what I was hoping

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (housekat29) | 286 comments okay...so does this mean I can provide all my new book data (including cover art) from amazon and someone will crop the photo?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Yup. Please start a new thread in the Adding New Books folder.

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (madfruitbat) | 9 comments I saw a comment recently saying that we couldn't use Fantastic Fiction as a source for book covers because they draw their information from Amazon. Does this announcement mean that we can now use Fantastic Fiction?

message 22: by Kristieb75 (new)

Kristieb75 | 1 comments This is great news. Thanks.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5058 comments I would not think so, the legal issues of using other booksellers/ sites probably still exist.

We can use amazon again because amazon now owns GR and the legal issues have gone

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Paula wrote: "I would not think so, the legal issues of using other booksellers/ sites probably still exist."

Correct. The ONLY site that has moved from the no-list to the yes-list is Amazon.

message 25: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (madfruitbat) | 9 comments That's great, thanks for the confirmation

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (housekat29) | 286 comments awesome!!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. This will make book adding much easier since the proper edition and cover for books purchased from amazon are right there! :)

message 27: by D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama with my read (last edited May 24, 2013 08:04PM) (new)

D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama with my read | 6097 comments Does it also mean that the data feed from amazon will be fixing the books that say "unknown author"/"unknown book" (at least the ones that say that because amazon data was removed)?

Just a burning matter of curiosity (I stopped being a librarian but still want to know; partly because I know how many thousands of pages those were, was waiting so long to hear and partly because I read so many kindle books that if amazon data feed is coming back, I won't be so quick to post a request or to manually add kindle editions and will be patient).

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Debbie wrote: "Does it also mean that the data feed from amazon will be fixing the books that say "unknown author"/"unknown book" (at least the ones that say that because amazon data was removed)?"

Presumably once the feed is back in place.

message 29: by Esme (new)

Esme | 18 comments Emy wrote: "So back to the "Take the Look Inside" bits off images?"

rivka wrote: "Yes. Edit: Wait, are you asking if those should be replaced with covers lacking that? Yes. If you're asking something else, I'm confused."

Why should existing covers replaced with the ones with "look inside"?
Is there no other way of using covers from amazon? I don't like covers with this orange arrow on it.

message 30: by Paula (last edited May 27, 2013 01:21AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5058 comments The covers should not be changed.

If you see a cover with the Kindle Edition and look inside logo's they can be changed to a cover without these.

This includes a non kindle edition using the cover with the logos.

It is possible to remove the look in side a kindle edition logos

There was a post explaining how to do it by This is not the Michael, but I cannot find it now

I cannot take credit for this but:

Go to picture on amazon, right click, view image.
The URL will look like this:

_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight
,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Delete all between commas (all the bold text)and save the logos should be gone. You can then upload this image.

I personally don't think that any book cover should have the look in side / kindle edition as when you buy the kindle edition these do not display on the the cover.

message 31: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Paula wrote: "There was a post explaining how to do it by This is not the Michael, but I cannot find it now"

It was deleted in January 2012.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 3114 comments Paula wrote: "The covers should not be changed.

If you see a cover with the Kindle Edition and look inside logo's they can be changed to a cover without these.

This includes a non kindle edition using the cove..."

Very useful! Thank you

message 33: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 68 comments Just to clarify: This does not only refer to amazon.com, but to all other amazon sites as well?

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 3114 comments Martini wrote: "Just to clarify: This does not only refer to amazon.com, but to all other amazon sites as well?"

Yes

message 35: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 68 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Yes"

Thanks for the confirmation. :-)

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3647 comments Fantastic news ;)

message 37: by D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama with my read (last edited May 27, 2013 03:07PM) (new)

D.A.— warn me if there's a love triangle or drama with my read | 6097 comments Paula wrote: "?..I personally don't think that any book cover should have the look in side / kindle edition as when you buy the kindle edition these do not display on the the cover. ..."

+1. Plus if you are on goodreads and click picture to look inside it doesn't work.

message 38: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (VickyL) | 21 comments Does this also apply to other Amazon-owned sites, like Audible?

message 39: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 29, 2013 11:36AM) (new)

Edit: Nope, Audible is ok.

message 40: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited May 29, 2013 10:23AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 3114 comments rivka wrote: "At this time, it's Amazon only."

But the covers from Audible are ON amazon. I hope they are allowed? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inferno-Rober...

message 41: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I don't see any reason why they would be any different than any other covers on Amazon itself (as opposed to data from the Audible site).

message 42: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (luv2write12) | 283 comments Yay!!! This made my day!

message 43: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Vicky wrote: "Does this also apply to other Amazon-owned sites, like Audible?"

I checked on this, and Audible is fine.

message 44: by Tasia (new)

Tasia (Ocarina) | 136 comments When we request for a cover image to be added, should we place a link to the Amazon page where the image can be found?

message 45: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's fine. Publisher and author sites continue to be fine too, and often have higher-quality images.

message 46: by Tasia (new)

Tasia (Ocarina) | 136 comments Alright, awesome! Thank you!

message 47: by Brenda (b) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 558 comments Has anyone heard if we're gonna bet the "Refresh book data from Amazon" option back on the book edit pages?

message 48: by Nickname (new)

Nickname | 56 comments rivka wrote: "As per Otis, librarians may now use Amazon data for Goodreads book records.

Have fun."

So Amazan data will return automatically? I'm so sad :(

message 49: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It will, but not yet.

message 50: by Nickname (new)

Nickname | 56 comments rivka wrote: "It will, but not yet."

Good. I hope the import will be improved. I remember many italian books set as turkish by Amazon.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread