E-Books discussion

sony reader

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) | 1 comments last night, at my monthly book club meeting (where we were discussing A Feast of Love), someone whipped out their sony e-book reader....she went through its features and told us she loved it. looked pretty good...about $300.00 does anyone use it or have any insight? i'm thinking about getting it.

message 2: by Rift (new)

Rift Vegan (riftvegan) | 5 comments
Heya Kyle!

I don't have a Sony, but if you're thinking about buying some kind of handheld reading device, here are some things to consider:

-- Do you want it backlit?
I prefer backlit because I can read in the dark! ha. I've heard the eInk is exactly like the printed pages, possibly easier on the eyes?

-- Screen size?
I don't think this is a big deal, but some people want as much room to read as a regular (dead tree) paperback.

-- Dedicated Reader?
I own a handheld, I can read my books, convert Gutenberg books, play games, keep databases, listen to MP3s, etc! Dedicated readers might come with proprietary ebook files... check this because you definitely want to be able to read the free books out there as well!

That's everything off the top of my head. Just don't buy Amazon's Kindle yet! (too new, too many kinks to work out, too expensive.)

happy reading!

message 3: by Chelle (new)

Chelle (blindpurls) I own a e-book reader with the fantastic new e-ink technology. It's a must have! You can read it in any lighting; however it is not backlit (not an LCD screen, which is good right?) though you can use a mini book light attached to it if you want to read in limited lighting areas.

We purchased the Cybook Gen 3 due to the fact that it is not drm locked like the Sony or Kindle, has more font size options and uses much more formats than the Sony and Kindle. Here's a link to all the e-ink readers out there to help you decide.
Sony - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader
iLlad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILiad
Cybook Gen 3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybook
Kindle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle
As for them being worth the money absolutely!
Pros:
-you can hold so many books on the reader plus a memory card and it saves trees as well as space in your house!
-loads of free books on Project Gutenburg, Baen books, Blackwell Books etc..
-much lighter than most books you will read
-you can bookmark your page-- no more losing pages, I'm not sure about the other readers by mine will go back to the last page that was read in the book so if for some reason your battery dies (long battery life as well) or you back out of your book accidentally you won't lose your page.
Cons:
-no book smell (can be a pro for some!)
-not a good idea to bring it in the bath with you (unless you have it in a seal proof bag though I haven't tried that yet)
-can't display your books on your shelves at home
-it is costly

Happy Reading!

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Is there anyone already tried Asian-made ebook reader? For example: Hanlin http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/En...?

The price is still too expensive to me though.

message 5: by Justy (new)

Justy (justy1) | 2 comments I have the BeBook (Hanlin clone) and the Cybook. They have the same screen and both are great eBook Readers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them.
Take a look at http://MobileRead.com for more info on all the eBook readers. Their Wiki is a wealth of information http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-boo....

message 6: by Arthur (last edited Apr 02, 2009 01:56AM) (new)

Arthur (astra) I agree with Justy, Mobileread is the best source of info.
From my personal experience:
I am from IT industry and I spend enormous amount of time with computers. Started in 1995 I think...
However, I cannot read from computer screen. Cannot read from backlit screens because it makes my eyes "bleed". Never read any ebooks on my computer. When I was doing CCNA which is based on online material it was struggle.
After another summer holiday and having 2 hardback editions with me, my wife suggested that maybe...just maybe I would consider ebook reader of some sort to take with me on holidays instead of hardback editions (I don't buy paperback books).
It was in Nov 2006. In Oct 2006 Sony released its PRS-500. Coincidence? Dunno.
I have done some research and realised that the only ebook reader that stands a chance, might be Sony Reader because it has some sort of revolutionary eInk screen, reflective screen, just like printed paper. They were selling readers only in the USA, so I had to order one via btphotovideo, the only website that shipped the readers abroad.

The moment I saw PRS-500 and switched it on, I knew I was doomed.
I bought it in Jan 2007. In Jan 2008 I bought a new generation PRS-505. I never read printed paper since then. I believe it is the best money investment I had in the last 10 years.
I am totally in love with the reader. Sony Reader is built in such a way that while having all the advantages of electronical gadget it still feels like and remind you about old fashioned printed books.
eInk screen cannot be described in words. One must see it in order to appreciate its quality. Because it is reflective non-backlit type of screen it doesn't strain my eyes at all, or as much as any printed book would do.
If you live in the USA, just go to local Sony shop and have a look at it.

Just one warning.
In Oct 2008 they released a new model, PRS-700 that has many bells and whistles, such as touch screen, 6 LED lamps along edges of the screen, so you can read at night (eInk screen cannot be backlit because it is opaque), a few more things… BUT! The implementation of touch screen has deteriorated clarity of eInk screen and many people who used to read on PRS-505 would never upgrade the PRS-700, so if you go to a shop to have a look at eInk screen, ask for PRS-505.

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Jun 23, 2009 05:48AM) (new)

Kevin | 1 comments I bought a Sony 505 about 6 weeks ago and love it. I haven't been to the library since then, though I know that will change; it's not as though I dislike going, after all. There is so much to read for free, though, I need not return to the library for a long time. The reader itself can contain a library itself. Battery life is **much** longer than with a laptop or cellphone.

You shouldn't count on consistently being able to find specific books, however. It's up to the publishers and authors whether their books are released in ebook form. On the other hand, third party sites such as Fictionwise (owned by Barnes and Noble) release many contemporary fiction titles.

More of a consideration is what genre you prefer. There is much science fiction in ebook format and I've heard many romance titles, too. I'm into science fiction and I've purchased 3 subscriptions through Fictionwise for very reasonable prices (Asimov's, Analog, and Interzone - each for $23).

Proprietary formats are no longer an issue because there is now the epub format. Fictionwise and Books on Board release in the epub format and it is an open format which will likely become a standard. I chose the Sony because it is the more open format. Amazon's Kindle is more proprietary, though that may or may not bother you. I simply don't want my purchased ebooks to become useless to me when I'm no longer using a Sony. The epub format insures this.

So, research your genre. Check out the Mobileread forums. Good luck, and enjoy your reader!

message 8: by Justy (new)

Justy (justy1) | 2 comments Don't forget that many libraries also have the option to 'check out' eBooks now. They Cybook and BeBook can read Mobipocket eBooks from the Library and the Sony Readers can read the Adobe eBooks from the Library. As more people start to take advantage of this option the number of eBooks available to checkout will increase.
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook...