Bloggers Unite™ discussion

Blogs... > Should a blogger allow anonymous comments?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sashg) | 11 comments Anonymous comments are usually posted with the intention to flame, rubbish or distract. When debating over whether I should screen such comments, I realised that I would be censoring free speech by doing so.

Blogs are based on free speech and open sharing of information and opinions. Should negative comments be censored? I notice that a lot of blogs screen comments to stay in the safe zone of only inviting comments from people who agree with the nature of the blogs and posts. Does this not cut the discussions a post could ignite?

What kind of comments are agreeable in their disagreement?

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean (svlehosit) Whenever I screen comments it has always been more so to make sure one there's no flaming between readers. I think the worst part of having anonymous comments is the fact that as the writer of the blog you can't really reply, rebuttal, or show appreciation for the comments.

message 3: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sashg) | 11 comments That's exactly what got me thinking about it, Sean. I think that leaving anonymous comments is quite foolish, but sometimes people are just not comfortable with leaving their names. Screening them seems wrong.

As I thought of avoiding flaming between readers too, I know where you're coming from. But doesn't this cut the discussion down to only people who agree?

message 4: by Judi (new)

Judi (sidhevicious) | 3 comments Sorry to just jump in on this discussion.

I have comment approval turned ON in my blog for the sole purpose of stopping spam messages. I don't think my readers should have to slog through spam to read comments.

Not that I ever have any posts to get controversial about. I just thought I'd put it out there that I have no desire to put the kabosh on free speech, just irritating spammers.