Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

priority in combining editions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam Huber (new)

Adam Huber | 2 comments I recently combined editions for my novel "Snuff," but it gives priority to the older edition because of number of ratings. That edition, however, is out of print, and I'd like the newest edition to take precedent (so to speak) when the book is searched for or added to someone's shelf. Is there a way to do that?

Adam

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Unfortunately, no: the most popular edition always shows up first.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Adam, As more Goodreads members read the newer, in print edition, it will eventually be on more members' shelves and show before the OOP edition.

message 4: by Adam Huber (new)

Adam Huber | 2 comments Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know if I was supposed to delete the OOP edition or not.

message 5: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Definitely don't delete it. GR isn't a database just for books currently in print, but for all editions of a book. That way people can shelve whatever edition they read.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
Adam wrote: "Is there a way to do that? "

No, but GR is working on one. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future!

Not only is Isis exactly right, deleting the older edition will irritate your readers -- exactly what you DON'T want!

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Also, if the ISBN for the older edition is still listed on Amazon, it will re-import every time the database is refreshed.

Besides, the earlier edition of your book may be OOP from your point of view, but may still be on the shelves in libraries and be for sale used. Just because it is 'OOP', doesn't make it 'rare'.