What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Lovey: A Very Special Child
This topic is about Lovey
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Neglected Child about a child who goes to school, but she is neglected by her parents (mother?). She is very unclean. Possibly abused. Mute. I believe the teacher helps the child to speak by becoming her ally [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela | 7 comments A book about a child who goes to school, but she is neglected by her parents (mother?). She is very unclean. Possibly abused. Mute. I believe the teacher helps the child to speak by becoming her ally. I read this about fifteen years ago and I cannot remember what it is called.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments Well, it sounds like The Bears' House by Marilyn Sachs (c1971). Here's the plot summary: Although she sucks her thumb, smells bad, and loses herself in the make-believe world of the three bears' dollhouse, ten-year-old Fran knows how to take care of her baby sister better than anybody else. I've read it, and there's definitely a teacher involved who tries to help her.

Angela | 7 comments Thanks Krista. I will look into this. This was an excellent book and I really hope to find the title and author so that I can re-read it.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments It also sounds like One Child/Sheila (except it was a father, not a mother) or one of the other books by Torey Hayden:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Her books are true stories from when she worked in special ed, and are ya/adult, not children's.

Although Krista the Krazy Kataloguer usuaally gets it right, I thought I'd jump in.

Angela | 7 comments I just came across her when I was researching it on Amazon. It does sound like it and the year it was written is about right. I always remembered it being the mother, but it could have been the father.

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Jan 23, 2008 05:13AM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) In Torey Hayden's book Ghost Girl the student is mute and abused. I don't remember if it was her mother or father who abused her, I read it years and years ago, but check it out and see what you think.

message 7: by Ellenjsmellen (new)

Ellenjsmellen | 1 comments Has this been solved? I'm not sure if it's Torey Hayden's One Child, but I remember a book that starts out where a girl ties a little boy up to a tree and sets him on fire. Is this the one?

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren not sure which hayden book starts with the little girl tying the boy up and burning him, but it's definitely one of hers.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I don't think that's from One Child/Sheila, but I'm not certain because all of Torey Hayden's books' contents have melded in my mind.

message 10: by ABC (last edited Feb 08, 2008 05:17PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 13 comments One Child is about Sheila, and starts with the girl tying the boy up to the tree. Her mom has abandoned her, her dad takes care of her but she is neglected. The sequel to this is The Tiger's child. I read both these books in the past year.

If you go to Torey Hayden's website, it shows her books.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Ah, thanks Kirei. I loved all of Torey Hayden's books but had forgotten that.

message 12: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 13 comments I am just happy I finally recognize a book! I read a lot but never seem to recognize the books posted here. lol

Angela | 7 comments I just finished One Child and this is the book where Shelia ties a boy up to a tree and sets him on fire.

Angela | 7 comments The book I was looking for is called Lovey by Mary McCracken. I was reading One Child and towards the middle of the book she calls Shelia lovey and all of a sudden it hit me that this was the name of the book I was looking for when I first posted this. I did some research and this is the book! I am so happy to finally have this solved :)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Lovey was a great book too.

message 16: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Feb 10, 2008 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Whoever marked this thread:

mark this topic as important (it will be listed first)

Could you please uncheck that box? Especially since it's solved. Otherwise, the thread will always show as the first one, even above newer ones.

Thanks so much!

Edit: To do that you need to click on edit next to topic name and then uncheck the above box. Thanks.