The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Kayte's 2008 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments I am challenging myself to read 60 books this year. I am going to try to do 5 books a month. I have already completed 5 books for January and am on my 6th so I'm off to a good start!

message 2: by Kayte (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments Three Cups of Tea
Size 12 is not Fat
Goodnight Nobody
Autobiography of a Face
Then We Came to the End
Three to get Deadly

message 3: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #7 Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

message 4: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #8 The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Awesome book! I could not put it down. It was riveting and captivating, and i don't usually use words like that :-) The story completely sucked me in. So many twists and turns. Completely unpredictable and fascinating. I can't say enough good things about this book!

message 5: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #9 Pigs in Heaven

This book is a sequel to one of my favorite books, The Bean Trees. Not as good as the first book, but still good.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 42 comments i agree that Pigs in Heaven isn't quite as good as The Bean Trees. have you read Animal Dreams or The Poisonwood Bible? i loved those!

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollymorrow) | 52 comments Animal Dreams, Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer -all three must-reads' by BK in my book! :)

message 8: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments Prodigal Summer is on my TBR shelf! i have Animal Dreams, but haven't read it, and i tried to read Poisonwood Bible but couldn't get into it. maybe i'll give it another shot!

message 9: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #10 Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

really liked this one!

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 42 comments The Secret Life of Bees is an all-time favorite of mine. i'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 11: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #11 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

this one was ok. i really liked it in the beginning, but that last half of the book was really slow for me and i struggled to get through it. i did really like the ending though! i'm definitely interested in reading more of Austen's work.

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Is this the first Austen you've read? I'm interested in picking some up after reading the Jane Austen Book Club as part of my book club, but I'm not sure where to start.

message 13: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments yes, this was my first Austen book. probably not a good one to start with though ;-) i've gotten recommendations to start with either Emma or Sense and Sensibility. unfortunately that was after i read Northanger Abbey :-)

message 14: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #12 Four to Score by Janet Evanovich

I totally love these books! They seriously get better with every book. Stephanie PLum is my hero :)

message 15: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #13 Something Blue by Emily Giffin

such a cute story! i finished it in record time (i'm usually a pretty slow reader) but i couldn't put it down and finished it in just about 2 days. it was a great sequel to Something Borrowed. i had heard people say that it was not as good as the first one, but i disagree. i loved it just as much! really fun chick lit!

message 16: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #14 In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

message 17: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #15 The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

i feel like my reading has slowed down a lot. it took me forever to finish this book. i ended up confused about who was who by the end. i think i may need to try to read it again sometime. it ws not the book's fault though! i loved Laurie's writing style. it was a really funny book. i think there were just too many time gaps between when i was able to pick it up.

message 18: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #16 The Pact by Jodi Picoult

This is my 2nd Picoult book and I loved it. I was hooked almost from the beginning and I finished it in just a few days, which is quick for me. I look forward to reading more of her books.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Jodi Picoult is one of my favorites! She really knows how to tell a story! Enjoy!

message 20: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #17 High Five by Janet Evanvich

my reading has slowed down quite a bit...i've been working a lot more and haven't had as much time. i hope i can still make it to 60!

message 21: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #18 Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

i LOVED this one! i really love his humor (this is my first Sedaris book.) I wasn't sure if i was gonna like the format but i really really did. i can't wait to read more of his stuff!

message 22: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Kayte-

I agree. Me Talk Pretty One Day was hilarious. One of my favorite parts was when he was making his students watch soap operas and write essays on what they thought would happen next. :-)

You should read his book Holidays on Ice during the holiday season. It will keep you cracking up. I also recommend Laurie Notaro, if you haven't read anything by her yet. She is almost like a female Sedaris. Her book An Idiot Girl's Christmas had me rolling!

message 23: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments Thanks Charity! I've seen Holidays on Ice. I'll have to pick it up!
And thanks for the rec for Laurie Notaro. I'll have to go check her out.

message 24: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I hope you enjoy them. Pretty funny stuff. :-)

message 25: by Kayte (last edited May 16, 2008 04:54AM) (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #19 The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

message 26: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #20 Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

hilarious!

message 27: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #21 To Kill a Mockingbird

this was actually my first time reading this book. i don't know how i got away without reading it because i'm sure all 3 of my siblings had to read it at some point. maybe i just didn't feel like it ;-) anyway, i truly loved this book and i can see why it is a classic. the story is so timeless and rich and the characters were incredible. i fell in love with the entire Finch family.

message 28: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #22 Rise and Shine: A Novel by Anna Quindlen
finished 5/31

this book was just ok for me. i liked it a lot more than i thought i would though. the ending was a little too predictable and neat though. i'll probably only give it 3 stars.

message 29: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #23 1st to Die by James Patterson (1st in the Women's Murder Club series)

Decent mystery. I think I expected the writing to be a little better since I loved Along Came a Spider by Patterson. I'll probably check out the next one in the series.

message 30: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #24 The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner

I wasn't sure I would like this book. But I ended up loving it! I love Jennifer Weiner and she did not disappoint me with this one. It was definitely a quick, fun read for me.

message 31: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #25 The Other Woman by Jane Green

this was some great chick lit. i love Jane Green and this one did not disappoint. i found myself unable to put it down.

message 32: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #26 Hot Six by Janet Evanovich

message 33: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #27 Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

message 34: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #28 Love Walked In my Marisa de los Santos

message 35: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #29 Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster

absolutely hilarious. this book had me laughing out loud over and over.

message 36: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #30 Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Another great book by Kingsolver. It took me a little while to really get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I'm so glad I decided to read this book.

message 37: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #31 Seven Up by Janet Evanovich

message 38: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #32 The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

message 39: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #33 A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini

message 40: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #34 Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

message 41: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #35 Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier

better than i remember. this book is amazing.

message 42: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #36 Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

#37 Hot Stuff by Janet Evanovich and Leanne Banks

message 43: by Kayte (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:37AM) (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #38 New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

message 44: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #39 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

message 45: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #40 Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

message 46: by Kayte (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:17AM) (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #41 Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

i need to do some speed reading if i'm gonna make it to 60 by Dec 31!!

message 47: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #42 I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis

This was my first Historical Fiction read and I LOVED it. It took a little getting used to at first because there were so many names to keep straight, and some of them were similar. But after I got through that and into the story, I was hooked!

message 48: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #43 The Firm by John Grisham

message 49: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #44 Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich

message 50: by Kayte (new)

Kayte (kaytecostello) | 47 comments #45 The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

« previous 1