Brain Science Podcast discussion

Introduce Yourself > Hello all!

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oné (new)

Oné (Baldscientist) I am a husband, a father of three and a baldie who also happens to be a pretty good University Professor and Researcher. My undergraduate degree is in General Science, my MS is in Biochemistry and my PhD is in Pharmacology, with an emphasis on Neurobiology. I do confess that I have a touch of physics envy... (:-)

I love science! (do I really need to say it?)

I blog about science, especially with non-scientists in mind, and from time to time I explore topics like how is it like to raise a boy with autism, science fiction, education, etc. I am usually able to give these and other topics a scientific twist. My favorite (non-human) types of organisms are the flatworms, specifically planarians. I use them in my own research. These little guys have proven very useful to study the evolution of vertebrate-style brains at several levels. I hope to have great conversations here!

message 2: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 311 comments Mod
Oné wrote: "I am a husband, a father of three and a baldie who also happens to be a pretty good University Professor and Researcher. My undergraduate degree is in General Science, my MS is in Biochemistry and ..."

Perhaps you could help get some good discussions going!

message 3: by Oné (new)

Oné (Baldscientist) That would be awesome! I am actually thinking about it, perhaps starting with planarians as a neurobiology model. This field is currently growing; traditionally planarians were used in developmental biology and regeneration research but recently they have been catching the eye of neurobiologists and pharmacologists like myself. For example, at this point in time there are only two groups in the US that explicitly use these wormies to study abused groups, with very intesting results. What do you think, should I start a conversation about planarians?

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 311 comments Mod
There are two potential places for you start a thread (new topic) about the use of planarians in neuroscience research:

Neuronscience News Folder

Off Topic Folder

I suggest you look through the current discussions in these two folders and then pick the one you think fits best. I would prefer that the News folder be used to share posts linking to news, but this is not something I enforce tightly. (Trying to organize a discussion forum is a lot like herding cats!)

message 5: by Oné (new)

Oné (Baldscientist) If it is anything at all like trying to organize a bunch of professors to meet as a committee I can relate, and I am up to the task! I will think about how to start the ball rolling and I'll get back to you in this thread.

Also, I would like your opinion about a (still kind of confidential) project related to planarian neurobiology. Would it be possible to have an email conversation? If possible, I can be reached at orpagan@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Oné

>Ginger wrote: "There are two potential places for you start a thread (new topic) about the use of planarians in neuroscience research:

Neuronscience News Folder

Off Topic Folder

I suggest you look through the ..."

message 6: by Oné (new)

Oné (Baldscientist) Hello again! It seems that there is a problem with my outbox email, but anyway, I discovered the BSP a couple of years ago when I got my first smartphone and leanrt what podcasts were. I used "Brain" as a search keyword and the rest is history... (:-)

unread topics | mark unread