Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Books Under Discussion > Plain Truth..

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 27 comments I just started it last night...so if anyone wants to join me and do a group reading, let me know!

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 15 comments I haven't read this book, but I've seen the Lifetime movie of it. The movie was awesome, so after you read it you should check that out. I have a hard time reading a book after I've already seen its movie... I need to get over that I guess! Happy reading to you!

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 23 comments Loved it too. I have this fascination with the Amish so it really hit the mark with me, not that it wouldn't have anyway. It's great.

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare | 15 comments I heard this book on a CD while commuting to and from work. It really kept me riveted and gave me a very different idea of what it was like to be Amish. I never knew very much about that culture before other than what is in the media. I think you will really enjoy the book.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 8 comments This was my first Jodi Picoult book and the book that got me hooked! I loved it!

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peach (jeneric) | 1 comments I started reading it the other day and im up to chapter 4.Im new to this website but I could do a group reading.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

loved this book.

message 8: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashleefoster) | 1 comments I just finished reading it like 5 minutes ago. I really liked this one. I love all of her books that I have read, but I really like this one!

message 9: by Britta (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments Just finished today! ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** So did the baby die of natural causes or did Sarah (Katie's mom) do it? I think I am in denial. I want to believe that it died on its own... but that last page is haunting me! HELP!

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) Britta- I believe the baby died from the disease, but that Sarah let it die. I really don't think she killed it- rather, she left it to die to save Katie.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 7 comments Anthony wrote: "one of my favorite."

Another "could not put it down" book from Jodi. I loved it. Just finished it and my head is swimming with questions about what people do under certain circumstances. What would I or you do if you were Ellie, Katie or Sarah. Samuel seems awfully OK with the whole thing, is that something a "normal boy" would have done?

message 12: by Leena (new)

Leena Almashat | 59 comments Maybe he was hurt from the inside but dosn't want to show it. He might wanted to get over with it.

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I loved this book, too!! But, that's not saying much because I love every Jodi Picoult book!!

Question - what was the significance of when Sarah handed the scissors to Ellie at the end of the book? I thought Sarah did something to the baby and that's why she had the scissors. Because I thought it said that Katie cut the umbilical cord.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments I think that Katie's mom had something to do with it - she was so quiet throughout the story, and then when she had the scissors at the end, I thought, "Ahhhh!". To me, it was not a bad thing, but showed how much she cared for her own child (Katie) and would go anything for her.

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) Holly wrote: "I think that Katie's mom had something to do with it - she was so quiet throughout the story, and then when she had the scissors at the end, I thought, "Ahhhh!". To me, it was not a bad thing, but ..."

But would you really want your child to go through all that? Wouldn't you speak up and take the blame?!

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments Courtney - I do see your point, but I think that her faith was so strong and to me her actions just spoke about the type of people they were - not ones to make a fuss, but just to quietly go about their business and trust that God would provide. Maybe she was only hiding the scissors so they would not be found and didn't have anything to do with it. But I definitely think she knew more than she let on.

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I agree, Holly.

I really enjoyed this book and feel like I learned about the Amish faith.

message 18: by Ebby (new)

Ebby Wilhelm (ebbunny) | 8 comments This was the first book I had read by JP. It made me go out and start reading all of her books.

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylu) | 19 comments It was my first, too, Ebby!

message 20: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann Courtney wrote: "Holly wrote: "I think that Katie's mom had something to do with it - she was so quiet throughout the story, and then when she had the scissors at the end, I thought, "Ahhhh!". To me, it was not a b..."

Courtney...I felt the same way about Sarah....why would she make her daughter go through all of that? And did she ever end up confessing it to her church?
I loved the book, but just found it strange that she never spoke up, in defense of her daughter?
I was happy that Katie didnt end up going to jail.

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I have just started it, so looking forward to readin this.

message 22: by Audrey (new)

Audrey C (goodreadscomreadingprodigy) | 8 comments Britta wrote: "Just finished today! ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** So did the baby die of natural causes or did Sarah (Katie's mom) do it? I think I am in denial. I want to believe that it died on its own... but that la..."

I think Sarah really did kill the child to protect her family. It's possible the child was already weak from natural causes, but I think Sarah did it. There are all sorts of reasons people kill, and sometimes it's not out of malice.

On another note, I LOVED Ellie.

message 23: by Annie (new)

Annie Salman | 11 comments Plain Truth

I read the book probably a year ago. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. For me Plain Truth was a book that had many emotions. I just kept on reading and reading. Jodi Picoult has written a wonderful book, the characters are amazing. I couldnt put this book down. I have read many of other Picoults book, and I can read her books over and over again and still be amused:)

message 24: by Jenni (new)

Jenni This is my favirot JP book as well. Has anyone seen the movie? It was on Lifetime today! Not to often does a book transfer to a movie well but this one deffintly did eventhough it was changed a bit through it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Plain Truth (other topics)