Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > just curious

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) You can add multiple editions of a book to your shelves, but I don't know why anyone would want to unless it was for tracking purposes. He doesn't seem to have any shelves listed for it, so that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have a couple of duplicate books on my shelves in situations where I changed editions and gave away the previous one, as I have a "given away" and "Traded out" shelf, etc.

Maybe he's just read all of those editions (since they all have different ISBNs) and wants his rating to show for the editions that he read. *shrug* It will give it a slightly higher rating, but I'm not sure if adding multiples are prohibited...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44994 comments Mod
Definitely not prohibited.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I didn't think so, but I don't think I'm fully awake yet today. Thanks Rivka. :)

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks both of you! I couldn't figure it out and I wasn't sure if it was allowed either so I'm glad I know.
I've never looked or cared about whether the listing I had says HB or PB or whatever so that didn't even cross my mind. It's good to know though!
it's so strange to be looking at the page and see the same shiiny happy face staring at you three times though! Freaky!!!
Thanks Rivka for mentioning that it is allowed- that would have been my next question!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44994 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "fully awake yet today."

What's that? ;)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Fully awake = opposite of chocolate induced coma
;)

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I have multiple editions of some books on my shelves, but I don't tend to rate more than one of them. Mostly.

message 8: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments SF SQRL wrote: "I have multiple editions of some books on my shelves, but I don't tend to rate more than one of them. Mostly.

"

Do you do that because you read more than one edition? I understand since it was explained to me but it's still so strange to see the same persons face three times right in a row!
I understand that I'm not nearly as organized as some and maybe if I was, I'd be doing it also, but I'm definitely interested in knowing why you do it. Maybe then I'll understand even more!

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Well, with Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, I bought a second edition because it was illustrated, and the first one I had wasn't. With Unteleported Man and Lies, Inc., I started collecting different editions because the text varies, and then when I had most of the available editions I thought I might as well get the set! lol

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I have a few books in both English and French, and some favorites in paperback and eBook. (I have a few books duplicate because I haven't gotten around to selling/giving away the second copy get, but that's different.)

message 11: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks both of you- that does make a lot of sense. I don't even think I'd think about it if I did have two copies of the same book- I think in my mind I'd automatically stick them together. LOL But it does make perfect sense- it's amazing how something can totally stump one person and be so cut and dry to another!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I also have two copies of The Female Man because I forgot I had it. Even though I'd only just read it. La.