Medieval Mysteries discussion

What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 1 comments I just finished Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson and really enjoyed it. I look forward to mroe in the series

message 2: by Reg (new)

Reg Eldridge (longbowman) | 2 comments I just finished (on thursday)"The Tainted Relic",a group effort by "The Medieval Murderers".
The Tainted Relic An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1) by The Medieval Murderers

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I recently reread the entire (up to the latest) Matthew Bartholomew series by Susanna Gregory and am thinking about rereading the entire Brother Cadfael series as well (it's been ages since I've read the books and I've recently acquired all of the omnibuses); I miss Ellis Peters. By the way, what did you think of "The Tainted Relic?"

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments I enjoyed the Tainted Relic.

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Looks like another book to try.

message 6: by Reg (new)

Reg Eldridge (longbowman) | 2 comments I thought it a very good read,and I would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction,particularly of
the medieval period.
The book covers several centuries,from the 12th through
to the 20th and I found that each "story" was well researched.

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Shenk (ellenshenk) | 1 comments Just finished lots of Alys Clare books, and glad to see a new one out this year! Now I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's trilogy about King Arthur... it is much darker than I anticipated! Definitely something fun after these! Any recommendations?

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I don't know if these are still in print, but Elizabeth Eyre's (actually a nom de plume of two authors) Italian Renaissance mysteries featuring Sigismondo and his rather unhygienic side-kick Benno (the first book in the series is called Death of a Duchess), are both exciting and often wildly amusing.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson, and can't wait to get the next one.

message 10: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments Hi, just joined your group. I'm currently on a Susanna Gregory kick--reading whichever books I can lay my hands on. Right now it is The Westminster Poisoner.

message 11: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks K.B. wrote: "Hi, just joined your group. I'm currently on a Susanna Gregory kick--reading whichever books I can lay my hands on. Right now it is The Westminster Poisoner."

There's a brand new Susanna Gregory Matthew Bartholomew book being released later this summer, A Killer of Pilgrims. I just recently reread all of the other Matthew Bartholomew books (what a treat), and can hardly wait for the next installment. I have not read her Chaloner series, though.

message 12: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments Well, I'm having a tough time getting her books. So I'm taking whatever I can get when I can get it. In all of Palm Beach County, only one B&N had anything by her. And that one had 1 copy of 1 book. Borders and Books a Million didn't have anything. So this is my first Chaloner book.

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks K.B. wrote: "Well, I'm having a tough time getting her books. So I'm taking whatever I can get when I can get it. In all of Palm Beach County, only one B&N had anything by her. And that one had 1 copy of 1 book..."

If you don't mind buying online, try Amazon, or for used books, ABE Books (ABE sometimes has some very good deals). Ever since I discovered Susanna Gregory, I've generally bought the Matthew Bartholomew books as soon as they became available (she usually writes about one book per year in each of her series), after Ellis Peters, she is my favourite Mediaeval mystery author.

message 14: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments I don't mind buying online, but right now, I'm trying not to. I tend to get carried away. I was able to find one of her books here in the swap. So that's somewhere in transit.

I'm also very fond of Margaret Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. I don't like Joliffe as well.

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks K.B. wrote: "I don't mind buying online, but right now, I'm trying not to. I tend to get carried away. I was able to find one of her books here in the swap. So that's somewhere in transit.

I'm also very fond..."

I tend to get carried away as well, so I know what you are saying.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments Does your local library have any?

message 17: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments Any Susanna Gregory books? Yes, scattered throughout the county. So as I finish one, I request that they transfer another.

message 18: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments Started Fortune Like the Moon today. I've heard very good things about the Hawkenlye series.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane (grammyjane) | 3 comments Reg wrote: "I just finished (on thursday)"The Tainted Relic",a group effort by "The Medieval Murderers".
The Tainted Relic An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1) by The Medieval Murderers"

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane (grammyjane) | 3 comments I am working my way slowly through all the Brother Cadfael mysteries. I am constantly amazed at her vivid descriptions and the addition of her great phIlosophies coming from Cadfael. Anyway that is how I hear it. I have the greatest respect for this author. Has anyone considered roll playing in midieval history thrillers?

message 21: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jane wrote: "I am working my way slowly through all the Brother Cadfael mysteries. I am constantly amazed at her vivid descriptions and the addition of her great phIlosophies coming from Cadfael. Anyway that ..."

I would say that Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries are my all time favourite Mediaeval mystery series, followed closely by Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew series. Which book are you reading at them moment? Be sure, once you have finished with the main mysteries (the last one being Brother Cadfael's Penance: The Twentieth Chronicle of Brother Cadfael), to also read the book of Brother Cadfael themed short stories, A Rare Benedictine: The Twenty-First Chronicle of Brother Cadfael. I did not like these as much as the mysteries themselves, but a few of the stories are outstanding, especially the one detailing how Cadfael became a Benedictine monk.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments I enjoyed The Tainted Relic.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments Just started an Ian Morson - Falconer and the Great Beast. It's 1268 Oxford, there's an elephant in town, and the Tartar ambassador is in search of Henry III. Promising so far.

message 24: by Pilar (new)

Pilar Rivett | 1 comments I highly recommend anything by Alison Weir, in particular her book on Eleanor of Acquitaine. She's brilliant.

Alison Weir

If you are interested in Medieval Mysteries, check out my blog. My latest post was on the Holy Lance.
www.pilarrivett.com

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane (grammyjane) | 3 comments Thanks for the recrommend but I have read both of them already. I have gotten detoured by mysteries of Will Thomas. They are Victorian mysteries solved by Baker and his assistant. The first in the series was "Some Danger Involved." I liked his writing style and am hooked to get all of them.

message 26: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 6 comments Finished The Outlaw's Tale and am now reading Falconer's Judgement. The Outlaw's Tale wasn't as good as most of the other books the series. But the nod to Robin Hood was amusing.

message 27: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 08, 2011 02:41PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments Just started one today - A Plague on Both Your Houses. Set in Cambridge in 1348.

Not 40 pages in, and so far we have 2 dead academics, a contentious election, and a near-riot!

message 28: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Susanna wrote: "Just started one today - A Plague on Both Your Houses. Set in Cambridge in 1348.

Not 40 pages in, and so far we have 2 dead academics, a contentious election, and a near-riot!"

I love that series, my second favourite right after Ellis Peters.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 6 comments That was a nice little read - lots of plague and conspiracy theory.

message 30: by Corinne (last edited Jan 15, 2012 03:35AM) (new)

Corinne (vice-versa) | 1 comments Hello, I'm new here and I'm currently reading The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1) by Edward Marston :)
Finished ;)

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda Murray | 3 comments Hello I'm new to this group. I love Medieval mysteries especially the novels of Paul Doherty and Susanna Gregory. I see that a lot of people enjoy Susanna Gregory,but no one has mentioned the series she writes about Sir Geoffrey Mappestone under the name of Simon Beaufort--the series is about a Crusader knight who returns to England and naturally has to solve a series of murders!
I am currently reading'The Merchant's Partner'by michael Jecks.

message 32: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 18, 2012 03:39AM) (new)

Manybooks Linda wrote: "Hello I'm new to this group. I love Medieval mysteries especially the novels of Paul Doherty and Susanna Gregory. I see that a lot of people enjoy Susanna Gregory,but no one has mentioned the se..."

I should try to read the Sir Geoffrey Mappstone series (maybe they have some in the library). Although, I have not really enjoyed Gregory's Chaloner series that much, I really only like the Matthew Bartholomew series (just like with Paul Doherty, I only like his HUgh Corbett series and none of his other ones). How are you liking Michael Jecks? I liked some of his first books, but I've found that he is a really inconsistent writer, much too inconsistent for my tastes (frankly, I think he publishes his novels too fast and has too many stylistic and grammatical issues in and with his writing). My favourite Mediaeval mysteries will always be Ellis Peters' Cadfael novels.

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda Murray | 3 comments The Last Templar was the first of the early Michael Jecks novels I've read,and I liked it a lot more than the later ones(I've not read the series in order). I find he has so many characters that the stories seem disjointed,and he should edit more to avoid so much repetition and unnecessary detail. I'm currently listening to The King Of Thieves on CD in the car on my way to work,and he constantly refers to' The King' so you have to work out if he means of thieves,of France or of England.

message 34: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Linda wrote: "The Last Templar was the first of the early Michael Jecks novels I've read,and I liked it a lot more than the later ones(I've not read the series in order). I find he has so many characters that ..."

Jecks definitely needs to edit, or to hire a good editor. I stopped reading the series because the stories became ore and more disjointed.

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda Murray | 3 comments The latest Jecks novel--The King's Gold,was an interesting story,but I lost track of which character was which so I had to keep refering back. A list of characters at the start would help.
I like Paul Doherty's Hugh Corbett,Brother Athelstan,Alexander The Great,and Roman series. The latest Athelstan,out in November,was an enjoyable read.

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 1 comments I've just discovered th Chronicles of Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters, and I'm hooked! I read the second on the series first, so now I've backtracked, and I'm reading the first,A Morbid Tast for Blood.

message 37: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Ann wrote: "I've just discovered th Chronicles of Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters, and I'm hooked! I read the second on the series first, so now I've backtracked, and I'm reading the first,A Morbid Tast..."

My favourite Mediaeval mystery series!!

message 38: by Evy (new)

Evy | 1 comments I have read a couple of Cadfael books and love them, not the easiest to find in bookstores but I keep looking...