What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > Banana Bread

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie This recipe for banana bread is from The Martha Stewart Cookbook (which I'm not a big fan of - this recipe is the only one I make from the entire book...). I'm posting it in response to Amy V's request in our new "Looking For" category. If any one else has a great banana bread recipe, post it!

INGREDIENTS

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well.

Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with the butter mixture. Blend well. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir well. Stir in the nuts and pour into the prepared pan. Bake 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) I can't wait to make this! Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait a couple of days until my bananas ripen.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) My bananas finally ripened and I made the bread this weekend. It was delicious!! This is definitely the best banana bread I have ever tasted! I might have to buy the Martha Stewart cookbook.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie You might want to check it out from the library first... the banana bread recipe is the only thing I make consistently from the entire book. I'm glad you liked it!

message 5: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 865 comments I make banana bread for Christmas gifts. I've learned to freeze them, first, and then thaw before using. It makes them even creamier. It's nice to know when they get a bit too ripe earlier; just pop 'em in the freezer and they're perfect come Christmastime.

message 6: by A. (new)

A. (almas) Hi,

I'm new

my name is Amal

I was searching for Banana Bread recipe

this one looks yummy, so I may try today

Thank you Valerie

message 7: by Kim (last edited Dec 02, 2011 11:22PM) (new)

Kim (KimMR) My favourite banana bread recipe is this one, which was originally in Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking. I've made it so often, I don't need to consult the recipe. Normally, I leave out the sultanas, but my friend, who also makes this banana bread regularly, thinks it's much better with them included.

ETA: I usually just make this in the saucepan in which I melt the butter - less washing up!

message 8: by A. (new)

A. (almas) Feedback for Martha's recipe

1 cups of mashed bananas = about 2 medium sized bananas

I used skim milk instead of sour cream and orange zest instead of vanilla

and since I don't have loaf pan I used cupcake pan

it was enough for 24 cups

and took about 30 min

I like how its not as sweet as the recipes I tried before