fiction files redux discussion

Authors > James and the Giant Writing Factory

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martyn (new)

Martyn | 299 comments I've never read anything by this author...but this article was most revealing...in a way. Anybody a fan of this writer? Is his technique and style something to get upset about? Also, I went to school with a guy named James Patterson...that is all.

James Patterson

message 2: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
not a fan but i've read some of his books. story, it's all story. little crime thrillers with super short chapters. it's like eating potato chips (or crisps)... one last chapter, ok, after this one, just one more chapter. i mean it this time. just one more. then before you know it the bags empty. fast plot. shallow characters. out of the memory in a week or less. that was my experience.

message 3: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 269 comments Mod
Yeah upsetting for me it is...I feel he cut a lot of corners by collerbating with other writers, writing one page chapters, and it's like reading cliff notes of more respected authors like James Lee Burke. Why not just sell note cards with the plots while he's at it? But he is successful at it and that's probably why most people like me are often snide about his writing ability.

message 4: by Matt, e-monk (last edited Apr 13, 2009 10:25PM) (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
ps - the publishers give away mucho dinero to place all this drivel right up front

message 5: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
i'm all for one page chapters-- works for machado de assis and nobody gives him shit for it. i've read about patterson's system before and i have to say it fascinates me. there are screenwriters who work in a similar fashion, ron bass for one (who has a bunch of shapely female "assistants" known as "the ronettes" doing his work), and soundtrack composers do it on a regular basis. i don't really see the problem with it as long as the product is good. i mean, it's not like shakespeare came up with his stories, you know? of course i can't speak for the quality of patterson's writing, though i did read one of his books a long long time ago. don't remember what it was called, but it scared the shit out of me... there was this killer guy... and he was capturing these people and holding them in little underground rooms... and he wore weird face paint... maybe japanese?... and he was a badass...

message 6: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
there was this killer guy... and he was capturing these people and holding them in little underground rooms... and he wore weird face paint... maybe japanese?... and he was a badass...

isn't that basically the storyline for all his books?

the thing i remember is not only were the chapters really short, and don't get me wrong i like short chapters and sentences and words, every chapter ended with a cliffhanger. the pace was furious. but i can't remember any of the ones i read... except there was always a crazy guy who took people. and i'm pretty sure i read at least his first 5 books.

i much prefer michael connelly's harry bosch series. he can actually write and he creates great characters even though his chapters are longer. he makes la sound exciting, sexy and dangerous... but then i guess it is.