Readers and Reading discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Miscellany > What are you reading now? Finished recently? 4/5 through 11/6/2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 541 (541 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
On Leslie's (and then Jan's) recommendation, I started Maisie Dobbs last night and I am hooked! What a charming book and I love knowing that there are five more in the series!

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 24 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote: "On Leslie's (and then Jan's) recommendation, I started Maisie Dobbs less fun than the others. But that's mostly because it had sections told from the point of view of the murderer, a particular bugaboo of mine.

Jan O'Cat

message 3: by NancyInWI (new)

NancyInWI (nanckopf) | 47 comments I'm about 2/3 of the way through Jodi Picoult's "Handle With Care" and enjoying it quite a bit.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 22 comments I'm finishing Team of Rivals for book nook cafe. I'm not sure what I'll tackle next but I have plenty of choices.

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 51 comments I'm reading Fire Along the Sky by Sara Donati (Into the Wilderness Series - book 4) and loving it. I'm listening to Fool: A Novel by Christopher Moore and laughing out loud at times. Quite bawdy but not objectionable to me.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I am reading The Road--a have to read for my book club--which I am the only member that either a. hasn't finished the book by our meeting date or b. is out of town for our meeting...so this month I am IN town and fell compelled to read but so far, DARK...boy oh boy...per Amazon it is a good read but hmmmm.

message 7: by linreadsalot (new)

linreadsalot I am in the middle of reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It is slow going for me at the moment.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan | 52 comments "Handle With Care"
I just got this from the library and am looking forward to it but I've got to read Twelfth Night for my discussion first. I hope it's a fast read. :-)

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 51 comments linreadsalot wrote: "I am in the middle of reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It is slow going for me at the moment."
I also found it very slow in the beginning, but stubbornly stuck with it because I had tickets to see the show and always compulsively read things first. Ended up liking (notloving)the book and loving the show, which was different from the book.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (reedreads) I just finished Unwind by Neil Shusterman. It is action packed, with engaging characters, a lot of unexpected twists and a disturbing issue at its heart. I loved it.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy | 4 comments I read Handle with Care a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I found it to be a fairly fast read.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I finished My Man Michael by Lori Foster & Extreme Caution by Jean Brashear. Undecided what to read next. Continue with reading The Best Laid Plains by Sidney Sheldon or start the first book group read for Borders (on the 23th of the month) The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I just don't want to start reading it and finish it too early that I'll forget stuff. Yet don't want to take the chance that I will not finish in time.

donnajo

message 13: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Jan, I am also in the middle of Among the Mad. I actually think the books get better as they go along. Reading from the murderer's viewpoint isn't bothering me, but now I will most likely think about it more than I would have!

message 14: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 24 comments Leslie is reading Among the Mad and said: I actually think the books get better as they go along. Reading from the murderer's viewpoint isn't bothering me, but now I will most likely think about it more than I would have!

Always happy to contribute to anyone's obsession, Leslie. ;-)

Jan O'Cat

message 15: by NancyInWI (new)

NancyInWI (nanckopf) | 47 comments I was notified that The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is waiting for me to pick up at the library, so I will finally be reading that!

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debatl) | 105 comments I am about done with Barbara Delinskys While my Sister Sleeps. I thought I hated it, but then there was a twist that has put it in a different category. Not what I was expecting. I am having so much fun reading lately. Lots of good books, My ext hardback will either be True Colors, Kristen Hannah or the new Jeffifer Chiaveranni Quilters Book.

message 17: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments I'm still involved with the Doris Lessing autobiography Under My Skin. It's dense reading and 400 pages, so it's taking me some time. I can't say I'm in love with this book. It won't surprise me if I put it down one day soon and say "enough". Somehow the book isn't intimate, I don't know as much about the people as I would like to know I liked The Golden Notebook which covered some of the same time periods much better.

message 18: by Alias Reader (last edited Apr 08, 2009 02:20PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) Bunny, I have had The Golden Notebook The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing on my TBR for years. I want to read it but the size has kept it on my shelf. Maybe I'll make it a Determination read next year.

message 19: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Bunny

a few months ago I read Doris Lessing's book The Grass is Singing. I thought it was wonderful , but almost too dark. It is not a book for everybody.

I just got the book The Reliable Wife in the mail from Amazon, and I think that is going to have to go in front of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Bitter and Sweet book. I have read great things about it..lots of twists and turns.

message 20: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Nancy/nanckopf wrote: "I was notified that [b:The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society|2728527|The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society|Mary Ann Shaffer|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I......"

Oh, Nancy, you are sooo lucky to be just reading this wonderful book. I hope you like it. I am waiting for another that I like as much!

message 21: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Leslie, I just saw "The Reliable Wife" on the front of an Indie Next List that I picked up. Had not heard of it previously.

message 22: by Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (new)

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments I'm reading
EXP The Help

love it so far

message 23: by Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (new)

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments Hey, how come I didn't get a picture of the book?

message 24: by Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (new)

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments
Trying again.

[image error]

message 25: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Where do you go to get these book cover pictures? I think I have a lot to learn about these boards.

message 26: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) Leslie: here do you go to get these book cover pictures? I think I have a lot to learn about these boards.
-====================

At the top of your Reply Box
you will see
Add book/ Author
Click on that
-select search by author or book.
-Type in book or author name
-Click on either link or book cover

It's easy once you know where to look.

message 27: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs Novels) by Jacqueline Winspear

Did this work? I am about to finish this book, and think it is a good story.

message 28: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Wow that was easier than I anticipated.

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) Out A Novel by Natsuo Kirino

I just had to try adding a book cover. Over at Constant Reader, another Goodreads group, they're about to start discussing this Japanese murder mystery by Natsuo Kirino. A housewife strangles her hubby, and then convinces her friends to dispose of the body. It isn't necessarily something I'd choose on my own, since it's quite bloody, but the look at Japanese society is interesting.

message 30: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments I tried Out and just hated it. It was so grim, I didn't like any of the people - I don't think I got very far with it. I'll be curious to know what you think of it.

message 31: by madrano (last edited Apr 11, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

madrano | 444 comments Evidence of Things Unseen A Novel by Marianne Wiggins

I had to try this, too, although this isn't a new book at all. Recently i read Wiggins's THE SHADOW CATCHER, which i liked, despite the fact it wasn't the book i thought it would be. The above has started out nicely, so i'm looking forward to reading more later today.

deborah, who just HAD to see edit to say, "I did it!", although the print is small. Sherry's OUT was nice & big...do you think authors will now start making one titles so the covers stand out? ;-)

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) Bunny, while ours tastes are don't tend to be the same, we agree here. Out is pretty nasty. I'm just too ornery to stop before the end. As I mentioned before, I'm reading this for another group.

message 33: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) deborah, who just HAD to see edit to say, "I did it!", although the print is small. Sherry's OUT was nice & big...do you think authors will now start making one titles so the covers stand out? ;-)
--------------------------

Just a FYI, if you don't want to click on the cover for all the GR info, you can just move your mouse over the cover and get the title and author.

message 34: by madrano (new)

madrano | 444 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Just a FYI, if you don't want to click on the cover for all the GR info, you can just move your mouse over the cover and get the title and author."

Oh, i didn't even know i could click on the book cover! I thought it was all just decoration.

decoratin' deb ;-)

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments Any Nevada Barr fans here. She is in top form with her latest, Borderline. Once you start it, it is hard to put down.
Cheef

message 36: by Sherry (sethurner) (last edited Apr 12, 2009 06:37AM) (new)

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) I'm a fan of Barr and her Amanda Pigeon character. I'm glad to hear she has a new one out - seems like it has been a while.

The first one I read was A Superior Death, set in Isle Royal. I imagine you could take yourself to all the national parks in which she sets her murder mysteries, and be busy for years.

Borderline (Anna Pigeon) by Nevada Barr

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments I can't swim, and when I read Superior Death, I almost couldn't finish it. She makes her situations so real!!! I have a young friend whose ambition is to be Anna Pigeon.
Cheef

message 38: by madrano (new)

madrano | 444 comments I read the first several mysteries in the series, then skipped around, selecting places i was going to visit. It's a fun way to learn about vacation spots.

deborah

message 39: by Bunny (new)

Bunny | 254 comments Sherry (sethurner) wrote: "Bunny, while ours tastes are don't tend to be the same, we agree here. Out is pretty nasty. I'm just too ornery to stop before the end. As I mentioned before, I'm reading this for another group."

I'll be very curious to know if you think it was worth the effort when you've finished it. I'm always worried that I'm missing something when I don't finish a book, and that one had such good reviews I thought surely there must be something to it.

message 40: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments I finished Among the Mad last night, and started The Reliable Wife. I am not crazy about it but will probably go ahead and finish it to see if the "reliable wife" redeems herself. Right now she's pretty much a bad character.

message 41: by Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (new)

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments I'm reading

Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
This is a reread from ages ago. It's a strange little book about a reclusive family with a daughter who may or may not have poisoned the parents and brother.

The Bulgari Connection by Fay Weldon
This is a humorous and cynical little book by the author of The Life and Loves of a She Devil and my favorite, Letters to Alice, on First Reading Jane Austen.

message 43: by madrano (new)

madrano | 444 comments Evidence of Things Unseen A Novel by Marianne Wiggins I'm reading another Marianne Wiggins book and will take it on our short trip to southern Texas this week. I'm still undecided what i think of her writing but i ended up liking The Shadow Catcher, which i read late last month.

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) madrano wrote: "Evidence of Things Unseen A Novel by Marianne Wiggins I'm reading another Marianne Wiggin..."

I also Read The Shadow Catcher fairly recently, and liked it very much. I also enjoyed her novel Evidence of Things Unseen. In fact, I need to write a little review for that one.

message 45: by madrano (new)

madrano | 444 comments Sherry, i'll be interested in reading your comments on EOTU. Have you read anything else by Wiggins? I'm wondering if photography always figures in her writing. That it is part of this book was a pleasant surprise, as i'd hoped for more in The Shadow Catcher. I read your review of EOTU & agree, the fact her writing is more than just plot gives me much to consider. I also like the historical context, although at times i feel as though she's looked at an encyclopedia of a decade to come up with random ideas. (Not sure i've written that so it's understandable. If not, i apologize.)

deborah

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12 comments Sherry (sethurner) wrote: "We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
This is a reread from ages ago. It's ..."

Sherry, I am a major Shirley Jackson fan and have read all her books. I love how she leaves questions unanswered and you can fill in the blanks. To this day I consider The Haunting of Hill House the most terrifying book I have ever read.
Cheef

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Canoeist (michaelcanoeist) The Age of Innocence

I'm rereading this great Edith Wharton book. I am curious to see how I react to these characters and their dilemmas at my more-advanced age. Still early in the book, but there's something about it that gets me--her clarity, but also the amount of meaning that is packed in between the lines. An amount that is probably open to debate--how much irony, how much attitude lie behind those crystal-clear descriptions of hers? I can see more, this time, than I did at my first reading when I was probably 25 or 30. Wondering if I am reading into it.... also wondering if the social nuances were quite as severe as Wharton presents them. Or was she projecting more of her own anxieties onto her subject?

message 48: by JoAnn/QuAppelle (new)

Michael wrote: Wondering if I am reading into it.... also wondering if the social nuances were quite as severe as Wharton presents them. Or was she projecting more of her own anxieties onto her subject?

I wondered something along the same line when I recently read Wharton's "House of Mirth". The "social nuances" in that book were fairly cruel, I thought.

Keep us posted....

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debatl) | 105 comments I have started Pamela Morsi's Last Dance at Jitterbug Lounge. I had read her Bitseys Bait and Bar-b-que, that was wonderful. This seems good. Next will probably be Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas.

Deb in ATL

message 50: by NancyInWI (new)

NancyInWI (nanckopf) | 47 comments JoAnn/QuAppelle wrote:Oh, Nancy, you are sooo lucky to be just reading this wonderful book. I hope you like it. I am waiting for another that I like as much!

Well, I'm finding it a bit boring...I'm about 2/3 done. I'm hoping the ending is really good...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.