Beyond Reality discussion

Goodreads tips > Changing Update Feeds/Librarian Info/Feeback Group/Adding items to GR/Quick shelf-building

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Sisimka wrote: " most of the time I'm remembering to click the Add to my Update Feed field off - which I think prevents the email thingy if you're adding the books manually, one by one (painfully, slowly and frustratingly!) :)"

There's a fix for this Sisimka (and anyone else that wants to cut down these feeds.)

At the top of your home page, right under "Hi Sisimka", hit the arrow, and choose to go into your Account.

There are a lot of things you can set up in here, like frequency of emails, etc., but on the 3rd tab: FEEDS, go into that and uncheck anything you don't want on your update feed (what is going to others.)

The very first item is "Add a book to your shelves". Uncheck that, and you'll only have to remember to check the field if you want something to be added. Much easier!

Also, just wanted to mention a couple of things to anyone new to GR:

--If seeing information on your books empty or wrong is one of your pet peeves, anyone can be a 'librarian' once they have at least 50 books on their shelves. It's easy to correct things as a librarian, and there is a lot to do, so if you want to join the crew, more librarians are always welcome! I think you can apply on your profile page, if not, go HERE and then take a minute to read the Librarian's Manual.

--If you see something way out of whack on a book or author page, and you're not a librarian, feel free to drop a note in the Goodreads Librarians group and someone will fix it.

--If you see a bug or have a suggestion, the Goodreads Feedback group is always open, leave a note or comment on any question being asked. The more opinions, the better! When someone asks for input on whether a specific suggestion is a good idea, weigh in, especially if you feel strongly about it.

--If you're putting books on your GR shelves and you want a particular cover to show, or the specific edition you read, scroll through the "more editions" sidebar to find it. Please don't enter an edition manually [meaning create a new db entry:] unless you are sure that it doesn't already exist in GR.

The method I used to build my shelves was the same thing Stefan did - find folks with lots of books with similar interests and rate the books. It then shuffles them right into your "Read" list and you can further rate, review and shelve them from there. I also went to the pages of authors that I particularly like and went down their bio, rating everything of theirs that I've read. It all takes a bit of time, but I think it's worth it in the end.

Hope this is helpful!
Have fun surfing GR!

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Thanks for this note. I applied to become a librarian, and have been having some nerdy fun getting editions of my books right, adding covers, fixing page counts and generally obsessing.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) And I'll add my thanks too. I'm about to start adding books from my 'read' shelves at home, so knowing how to turn off the update feed will be great for this week.

Do I have time to become a librarian, hm, 'nerdy fun' appeals!

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 20, 2009 06:08AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Glad it's helpful! I love being able to immediately correct something that I find is wrong - 'librarians of the world unite!'

Of course you have time to become a librarian Sisi! = ) There is no time requirement, you just do what you want when you can.