The Kingmaker's Daughter The Kingmaker's Daughter discussion

Which view do you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen I have read all the books in the Cousins'War.

I loved the Kingmakers Daughter as I have loved all the others in the series. In this book I saw:

An adult Anne that had control of her realm, a strong woman, deeply loved her husband Richard and at odds with her mother and a devoted mother herself.

A Richard III who loved Anne, was compassionate and was portrayed as someone who was concerned about what the people thought of him - as was depectided when he found out that the princes in the Tower were missing. (It also added to my enjoyment of the book that during the time I was reading it the remains of Richard were located and confirmed as his buried in a car park in England)

George - Duke of Bedford as a softer, caring man who loved Isabel - Anne's sister.

Isabel - a good sister to Anne

Elizabeth Woodville (The White Queen) in a different light, she was someone the courtiers feared and seemed to have the capacity to do anything to ensure that her family (the Woodvilles) remained in power.

Before this book was published I read another book on Anne Neville - "The Virgin Widow".

In the Virgin Widow these characters were portrayed as almost the opposite. I have since re-read the Virgin Widow and would recommend the two books are read concurrently. Both books start at about the same time in the life of Anne - on board a ship on the way to Callais when Isabell gives birth to her first child. The child is noted as a boy in one and a girl in the other. I believe from my research it was a boy.

The Virgin Widow developes the characters of Anne, Richard and Isabell from childhood and then also concentrates on Anne's relationship with Edward of Lancaster after her father - the Earl of Warwick - turns coat and supports the Lacasters rather than the Yorks.

Kingmakers Daughter although it covers some of the childhood events is more concentrated on the life of Anne and Richard once they are married and he moves to his role as King of England.

Both novels are full of intrigue and political referrences. They both kept me reading till the end and then prompted me to do more research of my own.

I think in the end I prefer Kingmakers Daughter as Phillipa Gregory was able to drawn on the characters she had already written about in previous books in the series, so this provided a lot of continuity for me.

Joana Who´s the author of The Virgin Widow?

Karen The author of the Virgin Widow is Anne O'Brien.

She has a new book being released this month called The Forbidden Queen - it is about Katherine de Valois who married who marries Henry V of England and is widowed at 21. Can't wait to read this one.

Joana Thanks! I'm very interested in reading The Virgin Widow now..

Joana Well I'm not entirely sure which view I liked the best, but I do have to say that I've read all four books from the Cousin's War saga and so far I'm loving it. I especially liked The Lady of the Rivers.
I think that in the end, we're able to see a lot of sides of the same people because she gives us that chance, by writing several books of the same period. In my perspective, no one is entirely bad or good, but it depends a lot on what their interests were and what would suit each family the best.

Missy I liked seeing this story told from a completely different point of view and seeing Richard in a whole new light, not necessarily the villain he always is. I think I've probably read just about every book of this era now, and this was refreshingly different.

Karen Yes I definitely enjoyed the softer angle in which Richard was protrayed.

Can't wait to read The White Princess - the next book in the Cousins War series

Nora Missy wrote: "I liked seeing this story told from a completely different point of view and seeing Richard in a whole new light, not necessarily the villain he always is. I think I've probably read just about eve..."

You should read Sharon Kay Penman's "The Sunne In Splendour". It is about the York (King Edward VI, George and Richard) From their life as young men to adulthood, it is amazing read! :)

Lara PG has a unique way of portraying different peoples view point on the same issues and the variations really makes her sequels worth waiting for and reading. I cannot wait to read White Princess, I disliked her in TKMD but i get the feeling i will fall in love with her in the next book.Having read all the cousin's war books, it's hard to say whose view point i like the most... Red queen was totally selfishly obsessive, same goes for the white queen. I think Lady of the rivers is still the most objective character of all, plus, she was not motivated by ambition and power but by love ... she proved that in her love for the humble squire; Rivers. Even if she appeared ambitious for her daughter; Elizabeth, there were some advice she gave her in the "white queen" that shows she didnt consider money and power as the most important things in life.

message 10: by Kimber (last edited Sep 17, 2013 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimber Lara wrote: "PG has a unique way of portraying different peoples view point on the same issues and the variations really makes her sequels worth waiting for and reading. I cannot wait to read White Princess, I ..."

I know you will enjoy the White Princess. That and Lady of Rivers, were my two favorite books of this series. Elizabeth of York definitely does not have as much power at the female leads in the White Queen and The Red Queen but it is interesting to see how she handles the Queenship so differently from those that came before her. She ended up being my favorite over all and I am very much looking forward to the last book in the series. I have a feeling it will be written from the point of view of Lady Katherine Huntly, the niece of James I, King of Scotland but I am not sure. I can't wait!

Saxonjus I loved The Kingmakers Daughter yet found The White Queen disappointing! I really enjoyed Anne's character emerging slowly from quiet child to a strong woman.She protected her sister thou Isobel had sometimes forgot her loyalty to her sister.Ann loved Richard & her own frustration at having only one child and her sister having many was her only negativity to Isobel.
Did Anne die from a broken heart? Did she really give the silent nod to the Princes' plight? I have researched and read other Authors versions of accounts! I am leaning towards Henry and his mother as the silent yet deadly conspiritors against the Princes'. We will never know as Queen Elizabeth has not given consent to open the tomb and check the DNA.

Rachel Joana wrote: "In my perspective, no one is entirely bad or good, but it depends a lot on what their interests were and what would suit each family the best."

I definitely appreciate that about this series, and Lady of the Rivers was my favorite, too!

Lynsay I have read three of the cousins war books so far and The Kingmaker's Daughter is my favourite one so far. I loved how we meet a naive and sweet little girl who grows up to be strong and interesting. I have still to read Lady of the Rivers and The White Princess though.

Jeanette Yes, Keshena. Nobility at the top in these centuries almost always encourages ruthlessness. For survival issues alone- compassion to the point of not decimating any rivals for the challenges to points of power- it will usually end badly for the reigning family. I strongly second Penman's "The Sunne in Splendour" as well for much deeper take.

Saxonjus When Queen you have to watch your back & neck.Im sure over time with with the pressure to provide male heirs,ladies in waiting in the King's bed! Made life as a Queen intolerable
Ann's only child she constantly worried over his health.If he died she knew she would be vulnerable even cast aside so the King could have a male heir.She protected him & if this meant seeing off rivals then let it be so.She was her father's daughter & knew what was expected of her & also how to succeed at this, I felt sorry for Ann

Joana Saxonjus wrote: "When Queen you have to watch your back & neck.Im sure over time with with the pressure to provide male heirs,ladies in waiting in the King's bed! Made life as a Queen intolerable
Ann's only child s..."

I completely agree Saxonjus, Anne did what in her mind she had to do to fulfil her duty as queen. She was well aware of Richard's infatuation with Princess Elizabeth and she probably guessed that Elizabeth, like her mother and grandmother would be extremely fertile. To Anne, her son was her only and last chance.

message 17: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Keshena, I think your view of a stone hearted Queen Anne in TKMD is not accurate. I recall a guilt smitten Anne when she thought her own words might have been misinterpreted to mean she wanted the princes in the tower dead and her relief when she realized this was not the case. I see Anne as a rare woman for her times. She had a ratonale pretty much like her husbands; do what must be done for greater good... and like her husband, she still maintained a compassionate heart and soft side.