52 weeks, 52 books discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
Week 13: The Life of Pi

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
This week's pick, an oldie but a goodie, sitting atop the TP list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0547...

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments I read this with my book group last fall - and I highly recommend the audio version, narrated by Jeff Goodman. The group had a terrific discussion of the book, especially about the theological issues it raises - and then we went to see the film, which I was afraid would be more about the adventure and less thought-provoking than the book but I was wrong.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam The movie was fantastic, however, I did not get the significance of (view spoiler)

andie (andiepaaants) This is one book that will forever plague me - I disliked reading it immensely, and certainly did not grow on my after finishing it, as some books do. It is so many of my friends' favourite book, and I'm looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts. Am I really the only person who couldn't stand the Life of Pi?

Andrea wrote: "This is one book that will forever plague me - I disliked reading it immensely, and certainly did not grow on my after finishing it, as some books do. It is so many of my friends' favourite book, a..."

Andrea, I went into the book thinking I was going to hate it -- I'd heard so many good things I was sceptical. But I really did end enjoying it. But no book is for everyone, so don't worry about it!

message 6: by Taughnee (new) - added it

Taughnee Golubović Looking forward to this, it's been on my TBR list for awhile. I'm strategizing airplane reading this week, have a 20+ hour trip coming up. Ugh! This seems like it could be a good companion so I will give it a whirl! I need a couple of options i know i will want to skink my teeth into. (I am anxiously awaiting feedback and the review about The Aviator's Wife before I go further with it, I really love the premise but wasn't sure about the writing style...)

Taughnee wrote: "Looking forward to this, it's been on my TBR list for awhile. I'm strategizing airplane reading this week, have a 20+ hour trip coming up. Ugh! This seems like it could be a good companion so I wil..."

Just sent you a book recc through FB message :)

message 8: by Taughnee (new) - added it

Taughnee Golubović Just sent you a book recc through FB message :) ..."

I'm on it, merci beaucoup! :)

Owen Thomas | 2 comments Catherine wrote: "Andrea wrote: "This is one book that will forever plague me - I disliked reading it immensely, and certainly did not grow on my after finishing it, as some books do. It is so many of my friends' fa..."

It can be so difficult to come to a book or a movie without any expectations so that we are free to experience it for whatever it is and however it may hit us without the rest of the world looking over our shoulders. It is frequently the case that I will read a book on the breathless recommendation of others and then come away disappointed and wondering if I would have actually enjoyed it more without those expectations in the way. Some of my favorite books are the ones I knew nothing about when I first picked them up. It so happens that Life of Pi was one of those books. I found it highly original and very engaging on a lot of levels. That said, I can definitely see that it is not going to hit everyone the same way. I have not seen the movie... everyone has said it is fantastic so, naturally, I'm a little concerned that I will be disappointed. :)

message 10: by Owen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Owen Thomas | 2 comments Catherine wrote: "Taughnee wrote: "Looking forward to this, it's been on my TBR list for awhile. I'm strategizing airplane reading this week, have a 20+ hour trip coming up. Ugh! This seems like it could be a good c..."

20 hours? Try Shantaram (if you haven't already). Before the movie comes out.

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments This book took me a long time to read when I first read it for a book club years ago. It was definately NOT an airplane book, even though I bought it at SeaTac! I really enjoyed the POV of a person who considered himself as belonging to 3 religions, but boy the ending when he's talking to the reporter/investigator really threw me. Still not sure what I think about this book, but glad I read it. Just don't want to reread it.

message 12: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (janarzooman) | 31 comments I loved this book and read it a few years ago. I agree there can be a trepidation about reading a book that has been widely praised. I try not to read too many reviews; I often don't even read the cover copy. What usually happens is, if it IS as good a book as critics have said, I lose myself in it and anything I might have read about it beforehand sort of goes away (does that make sense?). I WOULD like to read this again for the group list, but I'm so far behind right now it's ridiculous.

Donna Jo Atwood | 17 comments I read this when it first came out and didn't care for it at all. I'm debating whether to try it again, since sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by a book (biggest jump was Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, which on second reading became a favorite).

Elizabeth Campbell (booksbytheweek) | 5 comments Andrea wrote: "This is one book that will forever plague me - I disliked reading it immensely, and certainly did not grow on my after finishing it, as some books do. It is so many of my friends' favourite book, a..."

I really didn't like it either, I'd like to say that I'm normally very open to many different types of literature and storytelling. It really just didn't work out for me.

Kristen | 10 comments I have been putting off reading the Life of Pi for years. I even owned the book but never started it. I am glad it was chosen for this group and I ended up really enjoying the book. The story will stay with me for a long time. Now I need to see the movie!

Celine (celinefrazier) Andrea wrote: "This is one book that will forever plague me - I disliked reading it immensely, and certainly did not grow on my after finishing it, as some books do. It is so many of my friends' favourite book, a..."

So glad I am not the only one who disliked it! I was starting to think something might be wrong with me, lol!

Debra Hale-Shelton (debbye) I absolutely loved this book. Later I saw the movie and enjoyed it, too.