Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Practical Pagan > Andromeda

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I haven't researched this topic myself, but a friend of mine goes on the Nasa website, and apparently there's a theory, that in forty thousand years, this solar system, will wind down, and the next solar system in line for being habitable, would be The Andromeda system. One of my friends is fond of saying, "don't bother me, I'm already in Andromeda."

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Forty thousand years is a long time in terms of life on Earth, but (I suppose) a mere blip in cosmic terms. Food for thought though, and the saying made me smile.

Years ago there was a very frightening drama series on BBC called A for Andromeda, which began with some sort of huge pod being uncovered by archaeologists (I think) with some unknown alien or other inside which one never got to see - at least not until I stopped watching. I was only a child at the time and it gave me nightmares.

message 3: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Mar 23, 2013 02:00AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Nell wrote: "Forty thousand years is a long time in terms of life on Earth..."

Nope.
It's a long time in terms of human life though.
400 million years ago we crawled from the oceans.
150 million years ago flowers (not plants - they were around for a while - but flowers!) appeared and mammals turn up.
7 million years ago we came out the trees.
30,000 years ago we start painting in caves.
10,000 years ago we start farming.

40,000 years is not much in terms of life on earth.

Would be interested to see a link to the idea that we only have 40k years of the solar system being habitable left.
Having said that...if us primates keep doing what we're doing the earth may be broken well before that...

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments I meant human life OB - I guess I should have made that clear...

message 5: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Mar 23, 2013 07:50AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Fair enough. Sorry if I offended.
I had no idea what your ref point was...there are xtians out there think the world is 6,000 years old...not that I'm implying you're a creationist...or a xtian...
I get sciency about that type of stuff.
:)

message 6: by Nell (last edited Mar 23, 2013 01:20PM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments No offence taken - I should have been specific. I'm usually fairly sciency myself but things are a bit chaotic here at the mo.

message 7: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "there are xtians out there" There are? Head for the hills! The hollow hills. Honestly, I thought they were extinct.

message 8: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments My dad wants to know if we think there will be high speed internet in Andromeda.

message 9: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Aaron wrote: "Honestly, I thought they were extinct..."

Not yet...not yet...mwah-ha-ha-ha!

message 10: by Aaron, Moderator (last edited Mar 23, 2013 02:56PM) (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Just to add in the Hindu two cents. There are Hindus out there who believe that human life started about five million years ago and that's only for this Kalpa.

My figures are not totally accurate, because I'm a terrible number person, but I'm ballparking.

Interesting that you mentioned crawling out of the ocean, Old Barbarossa, because the theory of evolution is actually illustrated in the Hindu perception of the Kalpas.

Each Kalpa is represented by an incarnation of Vishnu, the first one being the Fish. The second is the tortoise, (amphibious), and we are currently in Verehe Kalpa, which is the boar. Supposedly we have only reached the mammalian stage of spiritual evolution. The next Kalpa, (after the dissolution of Kaliyug, the Hindu apocolypse) is Narasimhakalpa, which is half man half beast. After that comes the dwarf, which is human, but still stunted in awareness. And so on and so forth.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to have to go and search for information about Andromeda before contributing. I'll admit I'm pretty gobsmacked that there are so many people who believe the world was formed in seven days, a mere 6k years ago, and that Adam and Eve played with T-Rexs in the Garden of Eden (apparently they were vegetarians before the fall :0)

There are some countries where evolution just never caught on, not naming anybody....

Going to have to look up the Hindu Kalpas too, Aaron. Hey can you add some of the Hindu terms to the glossary too? :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Excuse the fact that it's a wiki article (I like wikipedia but they are not the most reliable) but I though I'd post a link about the Andromeda Galaxy for anyone following the thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromed...

This is interesting:

"The Andromeda Galaxy is approaching the Milky Way at about 100 to 140 kilometres per second (62 to 87 mi/s) which is about 1.96 billion to 2.74 billion miles per year, making it one of the few blueshifted galaxies.

The Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are thus expected to collide in about 4.5 billion years, although the details are uncertain since Andromeda's tangential velocity with respect to the Milky Way is known to only within about a factor of two.

A likely outcome of the collision is that the galaxies will merge to form a giant elliptical galaxy.

Such events are frequent among the galaxies in galaxy groups. The fate of the Earth and the Solar System in the event of a collision is currently unknown.

If the galaxies do not merge, there is a small chance that the Solar System could be ejected from the Milky Way or join M31."

message 13: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Georgina wrote: "The Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are thus expected to collide in about 4.5 billion years..."

Ach, that's ages away. Nothing to worry about.
The solar system was formed roughly 4.5 billion years ago, so the same time again before the train wreck with Andromeda...loads of time to evolve into winged brains with tentacles.

message 14: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Hmmn, but if our sun goes supernova before four billion years is up, there wouldn't be much to collide with, or would there?

message 15: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Aaron wrote: "Hmmn, but if our sun goes supernova before four billion years is up, there wouldn't be much to collide with, or would there?"

The sun won't go supernova, doesn't have enough mass...and it has about 5 billion years worth of life before it starts to become a red giant...so after the Andromeda crash (which I'll have to look up as I don't remember anything on that...NB all my times are ballpark as I have no books in front of me).

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, our sun will become a Red Giant in time. My theory is that if we weather the next couple of hundred years (yes that's a climate change pun--get it...yeah, didn't say it was funny) we'll be long gone from our galaxy before any collisions, or fading sun, will happen. True too that that's an incredibly long period of time, evolution could have lead us anywhere. Winged brains with tentacles sounds pretty cool actually. I've always wanted wings...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It's hard to find anything on the subject due to the fact that there is a band called Andromeda and a game. So pages and pages of references to both of these. Found a few links worth looking at:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bad...

Andromeda's black hole: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow...

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow...
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bad...