What's 811 Reading? discussion

March > Spring Break, 3/22-4/2

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 49 comments Mod
You may answer any question you would like, as long as you follow the RAFTAT strategy.

Feeling stuck? Here are some sample questions:

1.) Connect a character in your book with another character from a text or person

2.) Choose a significant quote and explain what it shows about him/her.

3.) If you had to choose a symbol for your character, what would it be and why?

R: Restate
A: Answer
F: For example...
T: This shows/proves/etc....
A: Another example
T: This shows/proves...

message 2: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 50 comments Sophie and Josh Newman need to hurry up and gain power because if they don't bad stuff will happen to the world. For example Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel will die. These are one of the main character, who tell Sophie and Josh who they really are. They are slowly dying and they need the codex. The codex is the book everyone wants, it will keep everyone alive. Another example is how Dee wants to use the codex and destroy the world. This means the only way to save the world is to train Josh and Sophie Newman to become the greatest magicians in the world.

message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 41 comments One symbol that I think would fit for KJ is that he's as cold as stone. For example, he is as cold as stone because he broke up with Jayd because she won't give up her cookies. This shows that KJ is as cold as stone because he just grabbed Jayd like she was garbage and threw her out of his life, and that's how curl he is to her. Another example of KJ being as cold as stone is that after he dumped Jayd he went on to another girl name Trecee and decides to forget about Jayd. This shows that KJ is as cold as stone because the moment he got himself a new girlfriend he forgot all about Jayd, but Jayd does not care about that.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Chen | 44 comments The quote, "Because I wasn't going to be in the same class with Penelope wnd Tillie, I started shivering and anxiety occurred. I became cold, anxious, and dizzy. My heart was palpitating rapidly and I was biting and ripping my nails. I've never became like this before until now", shows the trait that best describes Cass would be agitated. One example that shows Cass is an agitated person is when she realize that Penelope and Tillie won't be in the same class as her in 8th grade, she became very anxious. In addition, Cass is a person who gets easily nervous because she lacks confidence towards others. Another example that shows Cass is an agitated person is when she once got out of her house to go to school in the morning, she heard footsteps and a gang of people with black hoods on. She immediately took action and nervously rushed to the train station, so she can't let them find her. This shows Cass is an agitated person because she is easily frightened by strangers having unusual equipments or strange clothing.

message 5: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 29 comments The symbol that best fits my protagonist Brian is that he's always happy even if he loses a baseball game. For example he is always happy because his dad tought him to his dad tought him how to be happy by showing him even if the worst thing happens to you you still have to have a little happiness. This shows that Brian is always happy even if the littlest bad thing happens to him he still happy. Another example is that Brian had lost a game and he wasn't mad at all he was calm. This shows that Brian is always happy.

message 6: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 13 comments The symbol that really best fits my charcter soda is a cloud because he just goes with the floow and shrikes when he needs to. For example he ran to protect ponyboy at the same time he can shrike his enemys down. This shows how much he is dangerous and protective at the same time. Another example is he calms down his two brothers and keeps them together. This shows how much he tries to be a teen while being supportive to his brothers.

message 7: by Kenjo (new)

Kenjo | 41 comments The quote in the book, Shaq Uncut, by Shaquille o'Neal, "Brenden's a teenager now, still growing. It's tough for him. I still send him clothes all the time. He's kind of cool now because he's friends with Shaq but no kid should ever suffer like that," shows that he is a sympathetic person. For example, after finding out about a kid name Brenden who can't stop growing, he flew him out to the 2009 all star game in Phoenix, gave him a pair of his dunk man sneakers, took him out to eat and got him a custom wardrobe. This shows that Shaq is sympathetic towards people who have disabilities and is willing to spend time with them to make them feel accepted. In this instance, he does a lot for this child who is bullied and not accepted, because he wants to help him feel better and more accepted. Another example is when during Christmas Shaq bought over 100 bicycles, and many other toys to give out to kids who were staying at an adoption center. He would dress up as Santa and give out toys. He would also spend time talking with the kids. This shows another instance where Shaq shows sympathy to those who don't have as great of a childhood compared to most kids.

message 8: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mok (SydneyMok) | 43 comments In the book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green the protagonist, Hazel, can be symbolized with a flower that will fit her. I think a flower best symbolizes Hazel because during a sunny day a flower is standing tall and happy but when it's a rainy day, the flower will wilt and look gloomy. Hazel is like this. For example, " I liked Augutus Waters. I really, really,really liked him. I liked the way his story ended with someone else. I liked his voice" (31). This quote shows that Hazel like thisboy which she met at Suppor Group. Whenever Hazel talks to him she feels happy and her whole day brightens up like a flower in the sun. Another example is "Mom:You're going to Support Group. Me:UGGGGG. Mom: Hazel, You deserve a life. That shut me up, although I failed to see how Support Group met definition of life" (7). This quote shows that Hazel doesn't want to go to Support Group which is a place where teens with cancer get together. Hazel's mom thinks she is depressed bcause she doesnt't try to make friends or go outside like a regula teen. Hazel is sad how she can't be lik a regular teen. This shows that she is like a glower when it's a rainy day.

message 9: by Jamilah (last edited Apr 03, 2013 07:45PM) (new)

Jamilah B | 37 comments In the fiction novel, Defriended, by Ruth Baron, a symbol that best describes one of my characters, Lacey, is skull and bones [R][A]. For example, Jason looked Lacey up on Google and found many results of her being dead, and skull and bones usually represent death [F]. Therefore skull and bones is a symbol that represents Lacey because she's no longer living in the real world [T]. Another example is that Lacey has been acting suspicious when Jason asks to meet up with her in real life [A]. Therefore this shows that Lacey is dead and skull and bones is a symbol that represents her [T].

message 10: by Yamil (new)

Yamil Cifuentes | 40 comments In Katherine Paterson's realistic fiction book, Bridge to Terabithia, one symbol that best describes Jesse (protagonist) is brave, tough, and heartbroken (restate and answer). For example, when Leslie (antagonist) died, Jesse strong about it and nonchalant and decided to go to Leslie's funeral to show his respects (For example). This shows that how Jesse is a good friend and shows how much he cares for Leslie (This shows/proves/etc). Another example, when a female bully fell on the bus, she told the bus driver that it was Jesse and Jesse got kicked out. The next day, Jesse was brave enough to do a prank back to the bully because the bully was tough. Jesse put a forged note saying, "I like you from Whether Hues," and when the bully went to Whether Hues, she got rejected and it crushed her feelings. Jesse felt revenge is always the answer (For example), This shows that no one should mess with Jesse (This shows/proves/etc).

message 11: by Yamil (new)

Yamil Cifuentes | 40 comments In Katherine Paterson's realistic fiction book, Bridge to Terabithia, one symbol that best describes Jesse (protagonist) is brave, tough, and heartbroken (restate and answer). For example, when Leslie (antagonist) died, Jesse strong about it and nonchalant and decided to go to Leslie's funeral to show his respects (For example). This shows that how Jesse is a good friend and shows how much he cares for Leslie (This shows/proves/etc). Another example, when a female bully fell on the bus, she told the bus driver that it was Jesse and Jesse got kicked out. The next day, Jesse was brave enough to do a prank back to the bully because the bully was tough. Jesse put a forged note saying, "I like you from Whether Hues," and when the bully went to Whether Hues, she got rejected and it crushed her feelings. Jesse felt revenge is always the answer (For example), This shows that no one should mess with Jesse (This shows/proves/etc).

message 12: by Corey (new)

Corey | 43 comments In C.S.Lewis fiction book, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" the symbol that best describe Caspian is a tiger. For example, Caspian fights and rescue his friends from the slave deal.This shows that Caspian's symbol could be a tiger since he shows it. Another example is that Caspian goes though the cave where the dragon is dead and finds treasure. This shows that the symbol can be a tiger. Therefore, a symbol that best describe Caspiam is a tiger.