Victorian Romance Novel Fans discussion

Themes > Steampunk and Alternate History/Paranormal Victorian Setting

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Mar 30, 2013 05:55PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 739 comments Mod
This thread is to discuss books that feature an alternate reality version of the Victorian setting.

I added some Steampunk to the shelves. Feel free to add any that you come across, as well as other PNR Victorian/Alt History books.

I read The Iron Wyrm Affair a few weeks ago, and I think most readers who enjoy Victoriana but also appreciate supernatural elements will see the charm of Lilith Saintcrow's approach to Victorian England. While it wasn't a perfect book, I really liked these aspects of the books. It was as though the author took what she knew about Victorian times but gave it a supernatural viewpoint. Queen Victoria is called Victorix and she is the recent body of the ancient spirit of Britannia. The griffins are guardians of Brittania, which was another cool aspect. She mixes steampunk tech with sorcery in a very vivid and oftimes disturbing manner. I'd recommend checking this out.

I'm currently reading Scoundrel, which is more like paranormal historical romance with some light steampunk elements.

Meljean Brook has a great Steampunk/Alternate Victorian series called The Iron Seas as well.

The Iron Duke
Heart of Steel
Riveted
Mina Wentworth and the Invisible CityWild & SteamyTethered