Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > Monopoly - Zombies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 291 (291 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8453 comments Mod
I meant to announce this game next week to start on 1 April 2013 but I just realised that next weekend is Easter and all libraries will be closed! How are we to get our books if the libraries are closed?!?! So, here we are... a week early!

Btw, thanks to Darci, LynnB, and DG for the inspiration (well, it prompted me to search for a zombie like game anyway, this monopoly board is a result of the search) :)

message 2: by Tien (last edited Mar 21, 2013 10:18PM) (new)

message 3: by Tien (last edited Mar 24, 2013 03:31AM) (new)

Rules of the Challenge

(*) denotes ‘streets’ – Your choice: Do Task & earn points OR Skip Task & be fined points

(#) denotes Non-‘streets’: You MUST Do Task OR Be Fined Points points reflect fines only

If NO (*) or (#), then you must do task/s specified.

Do Not let your balance to reach Zero (0) OR you will have to re-start the game from GO

Roll 1 Dice and move a number of squares as per your rolls.

Start at "Go" and collect 200 points. So if you roll 3, you will land at "Alleway"

You may roll ahead & plan your reads up to the point where you reach Community Chest / Chance ("planned set"). Books may be read in any order BUT... all books must be completed before starting Community Chest / Chance Task.

When you start your task for Community Chest / Chance, then you may roll again for your next planned set. If your 'task' does not require you to read, you may roll as soon as you've started reading your last book for your last planned set.

Challenge opens WEF 1 April 2013 for 4 months and whoever completed the challenge at the end of 4 months with highest points "wins"! No Pressure!

Challenge is complete when you return / past "Go" point after cycle/s around the board. You may do more than one cycle and continue to accumulate points.

For example, you have collected 1,000 points and are at 'Toy Shop'. You rolled '4' which means that you will pass 'Go' and land in 'Graveyard'. Collect 200 points as you pass 'Go' (total of 1,200 points) and proceed with 'Graveyard' task.

Post your planned set in this thread. Update your post with you read and your next planned sets until you have completed a cycle on the board. If you wish to continue on to second cycle, set up another post for your next cycle.

message 4: by Tien (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:44PM) (new)

Go – Collect 200 points

*Graveyard: 60 points
Task: Read a book listed on Death shelf

COMMUNITY CHEST(Refer below)

*Alleyway: 60 points
Task: Read a Crime book where MC is police / forensic officer

#Medical Supplies: 200 points
Task: Read a book with either:
a. Medical things on cover (eg. Gauze, syringe, scalpel, etc); OR
b. Main Character who is a Medical professional (excluding forensics)

#Kings Cross Graveyard: 200 points
a. The word ‘cross’ in title; OR
b. A picture of a cross on cover; OR
c. An ‘x’ in title or author’s name

*Reality TV: 100 points
Task: Pick a reality TV Show and read book/s with the TV show’s title on book title. For example, if you chose ‘Big Brother’, you could read 1 book (Big Brother) or 2 books (The Big Sleep and My Brother Jack)

CHANCE (Refer below)

*Zombie Street: 100 points
Task: I would not like to walk down this street! Read a Horror book

*Zombie Fest: 120 points
Task: Definitely wouldn’t want to be in the middle of this! Read a Horror book that is not the first book of a series OR On the other hand, this Zombie Cocktail sounds yummy! Read a book with one of the following words in title: white, golden, dark, rum, apricot, brandy, pineapple, lime, juice (No variation allowed)

QUARANTINED / Just Visiting:
If you are Infected & are quarantined, Read a Zombie book.

If you wish to skip Zombie book, choose one of the following option:
1. Take chance and roll 2 die.
If you roll a double, then you have been miraculously healed and you can move on to the next square!
If you fail to roll a double, then unfortunately, you really do have to read a Zombie book to get out of Quarantine
OR
2. Pay 200 points (cost of Medical supplies) to move on to next square

If you are just visiting, Read a paranormal (non-Zombie) book.

*Public Toilet: 140 points
Task: Also called bathroom, restroom, latrine, comfort room, powder room, toilet room, washroom, water closet, W.C., public lavatory, convenience (Wikipedia). Read a book with author’s name with one of the following initials PT, CR, PR, TR, WC, PL.

#Zombie Movie Studio: 150 points
Task: Read a book which has been adapted to screen (ie. made into movies / series etc)

*Playground: 140 points
Task: Read 2 children books (Excludes picture books)
Guideline: books aimed at primary school ages and may be ‘shelved’ as ‘juvenile’

*Undead Dentist: 160 points
Task: Wow, a double whammy! Who likes going to the dentist and an Undead one at that?! Read a book which features something you are truly terrified of. For example, my colleague is absolutely terrified of spiders, then she’d have read a book about or featuring spiders, The Red Hourglass.

#Marylebone Graveyard: 200 points
Task: Read a book about angels OR a book with a sculpture on cover

*The Mall: 180 points
Task: Who doesn’t love a bit of shopping therapy? Read a book you most recently purchased (or if you like, go buy a new book & read it straight away!)If you are planning ahead, then this task will have to be TBA until the point that you reach this task to determine your newest purchase

COMMUNITY CHEST (Refer below)

*The Sauna: 180 points
Task: Read a Hot and Steamy book
Not necessarily erotica. If you don’t mind erotica, then feel free. If you’re not into erotica, then read whatever is ‘hot & steamy’ to you ;)

*The Bank: 220 points
Task: Hhhmm… shopping therapy usually means my bank account will not be doing too well…
Read any book you got without spending a cent (ie. borrowed from library / friend / family or won through giveaway etc). You may repeat this task up to 5 times; that is you can read up to 5 ‘free’ books and earn up to 1,100 points however you will have to read them all prior to moving to another square

ZOMBIE FREE ZONE: Read a book set in contemporary / modern time (that is a book set within the last 2-3 decades with no paranormal activity at all)

*Last Supper: 220 points
Task: Read a book with an ‘indulgent’ food on title / cover. indulgent could mean chocolate, choc chip cookies, chocolate-coated strawberries, ice cream, lush creamy cake, etc

CHANCE (Refer below)

*Paris: 220 points
Task: Read a book with ‘monsters’ on cover.
’monsters’ will have to look non-human / non-animal –ie. if a vampire, it will have to show some non-human features (eg. fangs, shiny eyes etc) or if shapeshifters, it cannot just show their animal shapes –maybe a wolf face with human torso / hands, etc

*Happy Forest: 240 points
Task: Read a book of fairy tales or a retelling of a fairy tale

#Fenchurch St Graveyard: 200 points
a. The word ‘grave’ or ‘church’ in title; OR
b. Picture of grave or church or gravestone on cover; OR
c. ‘grave’ or ‘church’ found intact in author’s name

*Hollywood: 260 points
Task: Read a book which has been adapted to screen (ie. made into movies / series etc) that is set in the US.

*Gore Lane: 260 points
d. The word ‘blood’ in title; OR
e. blood on cover, for example, The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Without Consent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #2) by Kathryn Fox

#Scary Movie Cinemas: 150 points
Task: Read a Spoof or Parody book

*Lonely House: 280 points
a. The word ‘house’ in title; OR
b. One house on cover -cover has to feature ONE building (can be house / castle etc) only)

INFECTED (Go To QUARANTINE)

*The Butchers: 300 points
Task: Read a book with an animal either in title or on cover BUT only those you can buy at the butchers. For example, you can buy kangaroo steaks at the butchers here in Australia so that’s acceptable for this task however I don’t think you can buy Tasmanian Devils so that won’t be acceptable.

*Zombie Lodge: 300 points
Task: Read an Undead book

COMMUNITY CHEST

*Escape Hatch: 320 points
a. The word ‘escape’ in title; OR
b. door on cover

#Liverpool St Graveyard: 200 points
Task: Read a book from BBC Top 200.

CHANCE (Refer below)

*Toy Shop: 350 points
Task: Read a book featuring a toy on cover

#Weapon Supplies: 100 points
a. The a weapon in title; OR
b. weapon on cover
excluding toy weapons but including explosives

*Zombieland: 400 points
Task: Read a Apocalyptic OR Post Apocalyptic book

message 5: by Tien (last edited Mar 21, 2013 10:20PM) (new)

COMMUNITY CHEST / CHANCE: Roll 2 Die and follow below tasks
2 - Read a book for PAS shelf of the month (this will have to be the month you are reading the book for -not when you are planning)
3 - Recommend a book for your PAS-pal (state whom & which book)
4 - Ask your fellow PAS who is participating in this challenge for a Task
5 - Read a book for another challenge (can be LOST, moving mountains, POTS, SRC, RwS, etc etc etc)
6 - Read a book that is an even number in the series (read book 2, 4, 6, etc)
7 - Read ANY book of your CHOICE
8 - Read a book for PAS shelf of the month (this will have to be the month you are reading the book for -not when you are planning)
9 - Ask your fellow PAS who is participating in this challenge for a Task
10 - Leave us a quote (can be in either the monthly book quotes / POTS - leave a link to your post)
11 - Read a book that is an odd number in the series (so you can read book 1, 3, 5, etc)
12 - Read a book which you have meant to read for a prior Shelf of the month which you didn't get to

Note: if you are required to request for recommendation / task, you may request it anytime but you cannot start reading until you have completed all other books in the planned set.

BUT if you have landed on CHANCE (NOT Community Chest) and have rolled a double (1/1, 2/2, etc) –then you have optional tasks as follows;
2 - You have suffered some injuries (lose 250 points)
4 - Retreat one square
6 - You have helped an injured person (receive 250 points)
8 - Retreat to nearest "non-streets" (denoted by "#")
10 - Advance one square
12 - Advance to nearest "non-streets" (denoted by "#")

message 6: by Tien (last edited Jun 20, 2013 03:10PM) (new)

First Cycle

Bea
Dee
D.G.
Ebony
Erika
Jennifer J
Lauren
Natasha
Sherri
Susan

Completed
1. LynnB 2,950 points
2. Amy / Amy2 2,740 points
3. Tea 2,620 points
4. Tien 2,100 points
5. Karen Bookworm 1,820 points
6. Coralie 1,430 points

message 7: by Tien (last edited Jul 03, 2013 04:35AM) (new)

Second Cycle

Amy
Lauren
Tea

Completed
1. LynnB 4,530
2. Tien 3,710 points
3. Karen / Karen2 3,360 points
4. Coralie 2,790 points

message 8: by Tien (last edited Jul 19, 2013 10:25PM) (new)

Third Cycle

Coralie
Karen
Tien

Completed
1. LynnB 6,460 points

message 9: by Ebony (new)

Ebony Taylor | 95 comments Zomg!! I haven't even read all the rules yet, but just needed to say that I LOVE MONOPOLY!!! I annoy all my friends trying to organise monopoly nights, I even play it on my iPhone by myself. Ok I'm off to read the rules now, I just hope I can fit in enough reading so I can play and not fall behind on uni stuff!

message 10: by Tien (new)

Ebony wrote: "Zomg!! I haven't even read all the rules yet, but just needed to say that I LOVE MONOPOLY!!! I annoy all my friends trying to organise monopoly nights, I even play it on my iPhone by myself. Ok I'..."

is there a monopoly game on iphone you can play by yourself?

Enjoy, Ebony! Hopefully uni wont be too busy ;p

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
Oh! Another GAME!!! Here I go planning to join in, without taking into account what I am already doing. Hahaha! I LOVE GAMES!

And, I love planning what to read almost as much as reading. Singing: Heaven... I'm in heaven, And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,...(from Cheek to Cheek by Irving Berlin for those of you too young to know it)

message 12: by Bea (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:32AM) (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
Tien, several of the links do not work.

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
Question: my first planning roll landed on Reality TV. If I chose Survivor, could I read Uneasy Survivors: Five Women Writers? Does the plural word count as a match?

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments What? The Zombies are taking over PaS? OMG!

Anyhow, you know I'm in, even though I haven't read the rules yet. :)

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Questions!

You may roll ahead & plan your reads up to the point where you reach Community Chest / Chance ("planned set").

Not sure I understand this. What happens if you skip the Community Chest/Chance with your rolls? For instance, I did my first roll for kicks and it turns out to be a 4, which skipped the first Community Chest.

message 16: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (lil_bookette) | 107 comments Good question, D.G. I was wondering that, too. After reading over it again, I assumed that meant when you land on those spaces, but don't take my word for it! I've only had half a cup of coffee this morning. :)

message 17: by Tien (new)

Yes, sorry, when you landed on those community chest / chance square

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1046 comments This is fantastic, Tien. You have done an amazing job planning it out. Cannot wait to start :0)

message 19: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments LOL, just my luck now that I'm reading a zombie book AND a book where the main character is a doctor!

message 20: by Tien (new)

D.G. wrote: "LOL, just my luck now that I'm reading a zombie book AND a book where the main character is a doctor!"

Ooh! Do tell! Was having a hard time fitting in medical supplies.

message 21: by Tien (new)

Bea wrote: "Tien, several of the links do not work."

Sorry, Bea. I realised that when i left off the PC and haven't had a chance to fix them yet. Its nearly 2am (been playing trivial pursuit of which i list miserably -real bad luck!) So I'm going to sleep and will fix first thing when i wake ;)

message 22: by Tien (new)

Bea wrote: "Question: my first planning roll landed on Reality TV. If I chose Survivor, could I read Uneasy Survivors: Five Women Writers? Does the plural word count as a match?"

Yep, plurals fine...

message 23: by Tien (new)

Lauren wrote: "This is fantastic, Tien. You have done an amazing job planning it out. Cannot wait to start :0)"

Thanks, Lauren. Enjoy :D

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments intriguing

message 25: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1600 comments Looks like a good game! I'm not sure why you put my name as inspiration for a zombie-like game as that is one of my least favorite reading subjects (maybe you meant Lyn?), but looking over the game I see that there are only about 3 spaces where zombie/paranormal-type books are required and therefore going to be tough for me (Quarantine, Paris & Zombie Lodge). I can only hope I miss those squares -- but based on my luck in Book-A-Fort's Pages Tower, I'm sure I will be landing on those :) and probably quite regularly, LOL! I'm looking forward to the game, though -- sounds fun!

message 26: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Mar 22, 2013 08:03AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments Monopoly?!?!
I love Monopoly!
(zombies not so much - I can hope to skip over those :) )

message 27: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1600 comments Tien wrote: "Rules of the Challenge
(*) denotes ‘streets’ – Your choice: Do Task & earn points OR Skip Task & be fined points
(#) denotes Non-‘streets’: You MUST Do Task OR Be Fined Points points reflect fin..."

Reading over the instructions, just for clarification, if I don't want to read the book for Zombie Lodge (for example), I can instead subtract 300 points and roll again? If so, do I count spaces for the second roll from Zombie Lodge or from the space I originally rolled from? Just checking as my luck with these games is so-so LOL!

message 28: by Erika (new)

Erika | 19 comments This looks like so much fun, I'm in!

Why do you make me participate in more challenges???!

I'll try :P

message 29: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments (#) denotes Non-‘streets’: You MUST Do Task OR Be Fined Points points reflect fines only

So does this mean that non-streets don't earn points?

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments how many rolls can we plan in advance? or did I miss that

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments duh - i'm an idiot!

message 32: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
Well, I love planning and, of course, I have already planned out my first stage. I hit chance on my 6th roll of the dice. At first, I thought that picking the books was going to be difficult and a real issue as I needed one for Reality TV (that was hard), horror genre, paranormal genre, angel/sculpture, and steamy/erotica. But, lo and behold, my challenge books contained books with the genre horror, paranormal, and erotica! And another book had a sculpture of an angel on the cover. Plus the chance book is "book of choice".

I am so excited as 5 of the 6 books at the start of this game cross with other challenges! Yippee! And, I bet I find a way to get that other book to fit in too.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments is this going to get its own folder or how are we going to do it? own thread to track points/books and a reporting thread

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments ok, so when you say in the community chest, ask your fellow PAS for a task - is it the person, I am paired with, anyone who is playing PAS? and what do you mean by task?

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments D.G. wrote: "Questions!

You may roll ahead & plan your reads up to the point where you reach Community Chest / Chance ("planned set").

Not sure I understand this. What happens if you skip the Community Chest..."

I figured I kept rolling until I landed on one (which was my third role) - which is what you would do in the game

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I'm in. I've rolled the dice until I landed on either Community Chest/ Chance - it was my eighth roll. Now to pick my books - always my favourite part of a challenge.

message 37: by Ebony (new)

Ebony Taylor | 95 comments So if my first roll is a 5, and I land on kings cross graveyard, i have to do the task, but i dont earn the 200 points, or i can skip the task and be fined 200 points, is that right?

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
What does WEF 1 April 2013 mean?

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1600 comments Bea wrote: "Well, I love planning and, of course, I have already planned out my first stage. I hit chance on my 6th roll of the dice. At first, I thought that picking the books was going to be difficult and ..."

I, of course, rolled a 2 and got Community Chest on the first roll, so I can't plan any more until April 1 and I start the first book :( sigh

message 40: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments I was lucky. :D Got my first Chance after second passing of GO :D Thirteenth roll.
And managed to skip zombie/horror books :D

Why I'm not so lucky in real monopoly? Usually in real game I visit every hotel on board!

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2547 comments dang Tea - i'm jealous!

message 42: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments Dee wrote: "dang Tea - i'm jealous!"

Want to borrow my dice? :D

message 43: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I got all non streets up to my first community chest so that's why I want to know if we don't get any points with them. If we don't get any points, then basically I HAVE to read them or get fined and go back to GO because I'll lose all the money.

I may decide to do that anyway because it's no fun to be halfway the board with barely $200!

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
Question about Public Toilet:
Do the initials have to be first & last name, or could WC be, for example, W. C. Fields? (I don't know if he even wrote anything, but it seemed an easy example of the question.)

message 45: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments D.G. wrote: "I got all non streets up to my first community chest so that's why I want to know if we don't get any points with them. If we don't get any points, then basically I HAVE to read them or get fined a..."

That's how I understand it. Non-streets no points, just fines.

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4410 comments Mod
oh, so I could actually skip the reality TV one and be fined 100 points! So here is my question...do we have to pass Go to get the 200 points? If so, I still have to do the reality TV one since I would have 0 points as I would not have PASSED Go but rather started on Go. Does my question make sense?

message 47: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 543 comments I think we are starting with 200 points.

Tien wrote: "Start at "Go" and collect 200 points."

message 48: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1588 comments Is there any penalty for not reading a book for the Zombie Free Zone? I don't like contemporary books without something paranormal.

message 49: by Tien (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:16PM) (new)

I shouldn't have gone to sleep... where do I start, hhhmm...

1. links are fixed! I can't seem to just copy and paste from word doc because something funny with the "" *shrugs*
2. LynnB, it was definitely you (I checked). I didn't say you read Zombie book - it was more of a banter ;) here
3. Am not a fan of zombies either but I will try to fit in 1 zombie book just to be in the spirit of the game :) (something tame-ish, hopefully)
4. If you decide not to do the task and be fined points, you would count your next roll from that square you landed on (which you're doing reading for)
5. Yes, Non-Streets do not earn any points. My rolls are similar to you, DG. Am landing on non-streets and then BAM, I landed on "The Bank" *does crazy dance*
6. This is meant to be one of our side-games so I wasn't going to set up a separate folder / thread. So do your plan here and update your thread up til you've completed one cycle. If you're continuing the round for a second time, post a separate thread. can't believe I forgot to include this in the rules, was sure I did!
7. @Dee (#35) re: asking for task, you'd be asking anyone who is playing Monopoly -Zombie so obviously, they'd have to be a PAS member first to join this thread :)
8. @Ebony (#38): yes, do task and don't earn any points OR skip task and be fined 200 points
9. Apologies for talking "shop" - I used WEF all the time at work, it's short for With Effect From (so basically challenge officially - you can read from - 1 April 2013)
10. @Susan (#45) - any order of initial would do as long as they're there
11. @Bea (#47) - Tea (#48) is correct (thanks, Tea)

message 50: by Tien (new)

sorry, be out most of the day too...
I still gotta do my planning :(

« previous 1 3 4 5 6