Theo's Group discussion

Current Book Discussion > Around the World in Eighty Days

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 86 comments Mod
I am just a few pages into the first chapter. It's interesting how he is describing the main character. Or who I assume is the main character. They have just introduced Passepart(something) and I am curious to see if he is going to shake things up.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

I've read into the 3rd and I think 4th chapter. I will say that I wasn't expecting it to be the boring guy to suddenly hop up and decide to go. I thought it was the butler that was going to encourage the trip

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

:D

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments I've had a hard time stopping each day. I think I've restrained myself to the first 12 chapters or so, but I enjoy the travelogue. Can't stand the way the MC won't see the sights as he goes!

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Jett wrote: "Still haven't started it. After I finish my homework I will dig into it for the duration."

I thought you had no school for a while.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments OK. Well this book is a fun read, I think.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Denise wrote: "OK. Well this book is a fun read, I think."

I don't like the way he's not stopping to look either. However, I also hate that his servant is slowing him down. Come on, they are being timed and some idiot detective is after him.

Speaking of which. When I first started reading the book and they described Mr. Foggs, I thought his habits makes him a prime suspect for being a burglar. However, when he started talking about it to his friends, I thought he wouldn't dare give a clue like that to them. Now I think he is innocent and have no idea if he is going to get away free.

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Passepartout will make that up in your eyes, I'm pretty sure.

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

It is maddening how calm Mr Foggs is through everything.

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments He would drive a wife nuts!

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

I'm not sure what would bother me more, Passpartout constantly worrying or Foggs constantly indifferent. I think Passpartout would get on my nerves and I'd throw him overboard. But Foggs makes me want to scream at him to get a reaction.

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

FYI, I have been out with the stomach flu.

Sometimes I feel like Passpartout and want to hurry Foggs out, other times I want him to relax because he's stressing me out.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments I finished this a few days ago. I've always liked it five stars worth before, and this time it was only four but still fun.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

I finished it too.

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Since it may have been only the three of us, what was your opinion of the ending? (Jett will finish when he finishes, much like his homework ;)

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

I liked it. I knew they were referring to the time his watch indicated several times for a reason. When they got there too late, I kept telling them to ask someone the freaking day! It's cool that he got the girl and the money.

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments he'd spent all the money already, lol, but I hope he'll be a good husband

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Ahh, I thought I was converting the money wrong. I thought he spent 7000 pounds. But he knew that he'd spend a lot, it was half his fortune. If he lost the bet, he'd have lost the other half of his fortune. At least he came out a little ahead and with a wife to boot.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 74 comments Denise wrote: "he'd spent all the money already, lol, but I hope he'll be a good husband"

I think he has a bunch left. He spent what he earned by the bet, but there's no indication he took everything out of his account to begin with, is there?

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

It said that he took out 20K pounds and that was half his fortune. So if he'd lost the bet, he'd have lost his other half. By winning, he broke even (gained a thousand pounds) and came out with a wife. Lol.