Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Low Time in Arcadia
This topic is about Low Time in Arcadia
Book Issues > Access problems after book title change

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Willett (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Update*********I can access the reviews. But the Low Time in Arcadia edition still shows as the primary. The updated Raised by Hand and its cover should show first on my site. I'd like to have the old Low Time in Arcadia cover removed altogether to avoid confusion.

Since the title change to Raised by Hand... from Low Time in Arcadia, I've had problems with my page. A friend tried to post a quiz to my site, and says she can't see it. I couldn't see it either, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right area.

Thanks.
Willett

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments 1. Rivka/Supers - in this instance is it acceptable to swap the primary author? I suspect the problem is because the primary author is not his author account.

2. We do not remove previously valid covers, no.

message 3: by Willett (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Emy wrote: "1. Rivka/Supers - in this instance is it acceptable to swap the primary author? I suspect the problem is because the primary author is not his author account.

2. We do not remove previously valid ..."

Okay. I don't understand what your saying. I am the primary author, I just using my real name and not a pen name. So why can't I have my real name first?

Second, if you can't remove the old cover, can the new cover at least be the one seen first on my account, since the old one has out dated information? It's my fault, I know. But it is causing confusion.

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments 1. It's GR policy usually to put the name of the author as on the cover in the first position, then variants can be added for clarity. This isn't an issue for you, just getting confirmation for me from the supers that this is acceptable as it's not general practice :)

2. Authors and GR staff (i.e. not volunteer librarians) can set specified editions as 'primary' so that they show first. In the absence of consensus I will set your GR profile as primary author for now, as it is easy to swap back if the PTB say so. Once I've done that, you can go into the "edit book" page for the edition you want to show first and there is an option for you on the right to 'make this edition primary', or words to that effect. Click that and save (and wait for the caching to clear). Voila

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Emy wrote: "1. It's GR policy usually to put the name of the author as on the cover in the first position, then variants can be added for clarity. This isn't an issue for you, just getting confirmation for me ..."

Thanks!

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Okay, wonderful. Now, how do I get the Raised by Hand cover set as the primary cover, and not the Low Time one. I see the new cover has been uploaded, but it doesn't show on my page.

message 7: by Emy (last edited Mar 22, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Here's the direct link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17....

In future though, you can just click on the old title or cover, then click on either the cover or "Other Editions" towards the upper right side of the screen. When you have selected the copy you wish to make primary, click on edit details. On the right hand side, below the big "Upload an ebook" button is "Set this button as primary" - click and save.

NB - don't change titles or other data on the old editions as that will get you into trouble with the PTB ;)

This image may help:

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Willett wrote: "Okay, wonderful. Now, how do I get the Raised by Hand cover set as the primary cover, and not the Low Time one. I see the new cover has been uploaded, but it doesn't show on my page."

Thanks. Have a great day!

message 9: by Willett (last edited Mar 22, 2013 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Emy wrote: "1. It's GR policy usually to put the name of the author as on the cover in the first position, then variants can be added for clarity. This isn't an issue for you, just getting confirmation for me ..."

Okay, an hour ago everything looked fine. Raised by Hand was listed on my page first along with the right cover. Now, it's back to Low Time as if nothing was changed. I don't know what I supposed to do on my side to put only my novel by only me, up on my page by its new title, Raised by Hand, with its cover that matches. Can someone just do this for me? And, yes, I did refresh the caches, to make sure I'm not looking at the old page.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 11: by Emy (last edited Mar 22, 2013 03:14PM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Willett wrote: "Emy wrote: "1. It's GR policy usually to put the name of the author as on the cover in the first position, then variants can be added for clarity. This isn't an issue for you, just getting confirma..."

That was because you had changed the details on the old edition Willett, which is not allowed. You need to set the new one as Primary instead of altering the details on the old one :) Regardless, it's showing the right one as primary now, so it's done.

Willett Thomas | 17 comments Emy wrote: "Willett wrote: "Emy wrote: "1. It's GR policy usually to put the name of the author as on the cover in the first position, then variants can be added for clarity. This isn't an issue for you, just ..."

Sounds good. Will never touch again. Thanks!