r/books discussion

Open Discussion > Where would you like to travel to? Why? Anyone living/from a destination spot, are welcome to post their insider's view.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
I would like to travel to Miami, Florida. Also Orlando. Maybe because I miss the warmth. Also I think partly because I've read the Dexter novels by Jeff Lindsay and follow the show, as well as Burn Notice.

Then there's the fact that I played GTA: Vice City in my high school days.

Now for the second part, I am from a destination's spot. I grew up in Las Vegas. The neon city. Here's a small info; outside the Las Vegas Boulevard, the city is really just a city. And no, no one lives in the hotels.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) That's such a tough question! There are too many places I want to travel to >_<. Name a place outside of the US and that's where I wanna go. Although Japan is high on my list because I especially want to see the Ghibli Museum.

I guess St. Louis is a destination spot. It's a great place for tourists because there is free entrance for a lot of cool stuff, like our seriously amazing zoo (we're in the top two in the US), the art museum, and the history museum.

There are a number of cute shopping districts, the Arch, the Missouri Botanical Gardens, AND we have the only freaking CITY MUSEUM designed and built by Bob Cassilly, It's pretty much the coolest place ever. If you come to STL you have to check it out.

message 3: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
I've travelled quite a bit around North America. I've been across Canada, from coast-to-coast, around the US and still exploring. I have family in France so I've visited them before and I've been to parts of Asia.

I really want to go to a few places... Some vacation destinations such as Hawaii, and Costa Rica. I do want to put in that my trip to Costa Rica is mostly to go to a coffee farm and not to tan out on a beach and drink alcohol. I want to open up my own coffee house someday!

I also would love to go to Japan and Korea to visit some of my friends who are from there or are teaching there.

New Zealand is also on my list, as is Australia.

Most of all I want to go to the Galapagos Islands as an educational trip for myself. I'd love to sit down and draw all the wildlife I see there and view things in the eyes of Darwin. Also, I'd love to say I just went to draw some Boobies as a joke.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:14AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Frank wrote: "As for insider views, I lived in Greece for a few months two summers ago. It is very hot. If anyone would like to know anything specific about it (I'm not an expert, but I know at least some things), ask away!"

I want to know about Greece! I don't care about what, anything!

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Mar 22, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Thanks for all of the insider info! I'm suprised that there isn't much to Sparta, not even a huge hole to pretend to kick your friends into? Haha.

I do hope to get to Greece someday, the history is simply amazing. And also it is a long time dream of mine to cruise around the Adriatic Sea, likely due to Porco Rosso.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments My next stop on my quest of visiting as much of the world as possible is going to be Barcelona or failing that probably Rome. I am currently working on both my Spanish and Italian skills so it will be nice to experience both of those cities in the near future. I recently went to Paris for a weekend and I would recommend it to everyone as it is simply one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

As far as insider tips, there is not much to say about England except that the weather is rubbish. I reside in Yorkshire but have been all over the country and can honestly say that the Yorkshire Dales is one place people from other countries should visit. To keep it book related I believe that the Yorkshire Dales provided some inspiration for the Shire from the LOTR series and I know for a fact that Whitby was an inspiration for Bram Stokers Dracula. I find that a lot of people who have visited England seem to neglect the north and lose out on a large part of the experience

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments Everywhere! If I have an opportunity I'll go. I have plans to go to Thailand in 2015 because a friend is renting a house there to visit her family. I also will hopefully get to travel to Ecuador with a friend who studied here and will be moving back soon. I like to meet up with locals and really get to know the culture

message 8: by Prajwalit (last edited Mar 25, 2013 03:43AM) (new)

Prajwalit | 16 comments Norway! Definitely. I'm thinking of visiting it next year.
Some awesome pics

message 9: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

@Prajwalit, the photo link is redirecting to this book discussion thread. Try to post it again, if not you can also add it to the photo link under our r/books table of contents at the top right. I look forward to seeing those pics!

message 10: by Prajwalit (new)

Prajwalit | 16 comments @Annie, whoops. Fixed it!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Prajwalit wrote: "Norway! Definitely. I'm thinking of visiting it next year.
Some awesome pics"

Wow, those are beautiful. I can't imagine seeing something like that with my own eyes.

message 12: by Eli (new)

Eli | 7 comments I go to Mexico fairly often to visit family so I think I know quite a bit about there.
Were I really want to do is to backpack across western Europe. Its on my bucket list!

message 13: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 7 comments Annie wrote: "I would like to travel to Miami, Florida. Also Orlando. Maybe because I miss the warmth. ..."

Be prepared for horrible traffic and hideous humidity. If you aren't used to this area, under no circumstances visit in the summer - generally defined as any time between May and October. You know all of those postcards showing sunny, clear blue skies? They're all taken in the fall and winter. It is not unusual for there to be torrential rain and severe thunderstorms nearly every afternoon here in the summer, but it doesn't really cool things off - it just adds to the humidity.

message 14: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

@J.D. Thanks for the tip! I would have never guess that. I'll make when I do get my frozen butt out there, it'll be in the middle of winter haha.

Any place you want to visit?

message 15: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
I would love to go to Israel and Greece. Unfortunately, I must admit though that the political climate scares me. I had a good friend pass away while visiting in Israel a long time ago, and I do know that Greece is also a hot bed of upheaval as well. I do not like to do the 'touristy' things so if I do go, I know I will get myself in trouble!! But, to me, that is the only real way to see and experience a country and its people.