THE WORLD WAR TWO GROUP discussion

The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines
This topic is about The Secret Rescue
ARCHIVED READS > 2013 - "The Secret Rescue" by Cate Lineberry

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments This book is open for a buddy read commencing in May 2013. Please join and discuss the book here:

The Secret Rescue An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines by Cate Lineberry by Cate Lineberry
Description:
The compelling untold story of a group of stranded U.S. Army nurses and medics fighting to escape Nazi-occupied Europe.

When 26 Army nurses and medics-part of the 807th Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron-boarded a cargo plane for transport in November 1943, they never anticipated the crash landing in Nazi-occupied Albania that would lead to their months-long struggle for survival. A drama that captured the attention of the American public, the group and its flight crew dodged bullets and battled blinding winter storms as they climbed mountains and fought to survive, aided by courageous villagers who risked death at Nazi hands to help them.

A mesmerizing tale of the courage and heroism of ordinary people, THE SECRET RESCUE tells not only a new story of struggle and endurance, but also one of the daring rescue attempts by clandestine American and British organizations amid the tumultuous landscape of the war.

message 2: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Thanks to Aussie Rick for setting up this thread! I am the author of "The Secret Rescue," which comes out on May 7. I would love to participate in the buddy read, and answer any readers questions. - Cate

message 3: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Thanks Cate for agreeing to join in, I am sure the members will really appreciate the opportunity to chat with you about your very interesting book.

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 157 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Thanks Cate for agreeing to join in, I am sure the members will really appreciate the opportunity to chat with you about your very interesting book."
Rick
I pre-ordered Cate' s book, looking forward to reading it.

Darcy (drokka) | 23 comments I too am looking forward to reading this book.

message 6: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Excellent news, you will have the author with you as you go and she will love to answer any questions you may have.

message 7: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Sowards | 500 comments It sounds like an amazing story. I've heard bits and pieces about what happened and I'm looking forward to reading a more complete version, and to discussing it with all of you!

message 8: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (cstarfire26) | 17 comments Oh, this book looks fascinating!! I can't wait to read it!

message 9: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Hopefully you can join the folks reading it sometime in May-June :)

Darcy (drokka) | 23 comments This arrived today. But I'll wait a bit until others have sourced theirs before starting.

message 11: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Good to hear your copy arrived OK D. Hopefully the others can join you shortly and you can get started, it sounds like a very interesting book.

message 12: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Thought I'd let the group know that I'll be answering questions about the book on Twitter this Tuesday (the book's pub date) at 1 pm EST. Little, Brown will moderate the chat. Thanks to everyone who is planning on reading The Secret Rescue! @littlebrown @catelineberry

message 13: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Sounds like an excellent opportunity to catch up with the author and ask some questions :)

message 14: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Has anyone started reading this book yet? If so what do you think of it so far?

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 157 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book yet? If so what do you think of it so far?"

Hoping to start it soon, but want to finish my "bulge" book first.

message 16: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Good to hear Laurel, no rush, enjoy your reading :)

Darcy (drokka) | 23 comments I'll be starting it on Monday if all goes well.

message 18: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Hope you like it. Happy to answer any questions you may have in the course of your reading.

Cate

message 19: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Sowards | 500 comments Laurel wrote: Hoping to start it soon, but want to finish my "bulge" book first."

Me too--still working (OK, barely starting) my bulge read. Maybe my kiddos will let me read a bunch over the weekend and I can start next week with Darcy?

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 86 comments Cate wrote: "Hope you like it. Happy to answer any questions you may have in the course of your reading.

Cate"

I was just going out to look for the book, but I would be interested to hear how you found out about this story.

message 21: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Hi John,

I discovered the story in a historic newspaper article while doing some other WW2 research. Once I found out one of the medics was still alive and willing to work with me exclusively and after doing some extensive research, I decided I had enough to tell the full story.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 86 comments Hi Cate

How fortunate to find one still alive! Every year there are less of that generation still around. Thank goodness you and others keep these stories alive.

John

message 23: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Thanks, John! Harold Hayes is 91 and has an incredible memory. I spent a lot of time interviewing him in person but he's also great on email! He's an amazing man.

message 24: by Geevee, Assisting Moderator British & Commonwealth Forces (new) - added it

Geevee | 3796 comments I missed this as I was reading other items but have added to my TBR as it looks very interesting. Good for you Cate to join in and answer people's questions too.

message 25: by Colin (last edited May 22, 2013 11:47AM) (new)

Colin Heaton (colin1962) | 1918 comments It is amazing that some of these guys have great memories. I have interviewed many in their 80s, 90s and a few over 100. I have three Luftwaffe pilots, 2 Me-262 jet pilots, over 90, still very mentally active.

message 26: by Darcy (last edited May 21, 2013 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Darcy (drokka) | 23 comments It struck me that Shumway was the de-facto leader on the plane, but once they were in Albania, leadership among the group isn't all that clear, at least not within the first 80 pages. I am amazed at (view spoiler)

ETA: if I'd just waited 2 more pages...

message 27: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Sowards | 500 comments I'm just starting the book. I enjoyed this story from chapter one:
(view spoiler)

message 28: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (last edited May 21, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments That's a great story from the book A.L., thanks for sharing.

message 29: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Hi Darcy: Yes, the leadership in the group was not clear. That may have been because Thrasher, the pilot and senior officer, was only 22 and the ages of the group ranged from 19-36. The co-pilot Baggs, who was 28 and had more experience, often seemed to step in as the leader, according to Harold Hayes. I too was amazed at how trusting the group was at the beginning but I don't think they felt they had any alternatives with the Germans close by and they were pretty shaken from the crash-landing.

A.L.: I loved that anecdote too. Can you imagine if the nurses had been in skirts while climbing mountains and facing blizzards?

If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer them.

message 30: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Hi Cate and thanks for those details, very interesting and thanks again for your offer to answer questions from those members reading your book.

message 31: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 86 comments In all the WW2 books I have read I don't know if I have ever heard of any mention of the MAETS group. This makes the book all the more interesting.

message 32: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 86 comments Just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. A well written, interesting story. Thanks Cate! Can't wait for your next book.

message 33: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Thanks for the feedback John, I'm sure Cate will be most pleased to hear you enjoyed her book.

message 34: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Thanks, John! Glad you liked it. I found the info on MAETS interesting too. I'd never heard of it before researching the book.

message 35: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Sowards | 500 comments I'm curious if anyone knows more about the BK. Did they have much in the way of central leadership? Or was each band free to work with whoever they wanted, as long they worked against the communists?

I was also amused by the nurses' habits of pulling their make-up out for a quick "freshen-up" before entering villages.

message 36: by Laurel (last edited Jun 08, 2013 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 157 comments I am a bit late finishing Cate's book, but I am really glad that I had the chance to read it. Like many others, I had never heard of MAETS, nor did I know much about Àlbania. It's amazing to think that they could endure such an ordeal and not lose a member of their group. When I started the book, I assumed that at least a few would be killed, or die from illness or exposure.

I was also surprised that it took such a long time for the details of their story to come to light. Cate has done an phenomenal job telling their story. I did learn a few other interesting items. For example, I had never heard about the sinking of the ship that resulted in the release of poison gases. Additionally, hearing about Sterling Heyden and Anthony Quayle was especially interesting. Ironically, while I was reading about the group hiking through the mountains, and not knowing which Albanians they could trust, reminded me of parts of "The Guns of Navarone", while they were hiking through the Greek countryside, hiding from the Germans.

It was helpful to have the evolution of medical evacuation by air transport, outlined in Cate's book. This was another area I was interested to learn about.

I think it is a little sad that these men and women never really got the public acclaim they deserved. I am so glad, for their sake and their families, that Cate has brought their story to light. My review of the book is here. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 37: by Colin (new)

Colin Heaton (colin1962) | 1918 comments Albania was really the forgotten front in the Balkans during WW I. King Zog and his collection of zealots were a real strange bunch. Ironically they did provide enough volunteers to create an Albanian Waffen SS regiment.

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 157 comments Colin wrote: "Albania was really the forgotten front in the Balkans during WW I. King Zog and his collection of zealots were a real strange bunch. Ironically they did provide enough volunteers to create an Alban..."

Hi. I just added my review of Cate's book to the post you just read. I had posted it elsewhere, but decided to add it here, too.

message 39: by Geevee, Assisting Moderator British & Commonwealth Forces (new) - added it

Geevee | 3796 comments Hi Laurel, This may interest you and others who enjoyed Cate's book as it cover's Britain's book Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Albania and also makse mention of Anthony Quayle The Wildest Province SOE in the Land of the Eagle by Roderick Bailey by Roderick Bailey

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 157 comments Geevee wrote: "Hi Laurel, This may interest you and others who enjoyed Cate's book as it cover's Britain's book Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Albania and also makse mention of Anthony Quayle [bookcover:Th..."

Thanks for the suggestion, Geevee. I will check it out.

message 41: by Colin (new)

Colin Heaton (colin1962) | 1918 comments Geevee wrote: "Hi Laurel, This may interest you and others who enjoyed Cate's book as it cover's Britain's book Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Albania and also makse mention of Anthony Quayle [bookcover:Th..."

My old book German Anti-Partisan Warfare in Europe also has a section on SOE in Albania, with reports from the declassified archives at Kew.

message 42: by happy (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

happy (happyone) | 2205 comments for those interested Cate was on BookTV last weekend

Here is a link to her speech/Q&A

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/31...

The program will be reaired this Sunday Jun 23 at 9 AM EDT

message 43: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Thanks for the link Happy.

message 44: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelineberry) Just wanted to let the group know that for today only "The Secret Rescue" is a Kindle Daily Deal - just $2.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...

message 45: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Excellent news Cate, fingers crossed a few members grab a copy at that price :)

message 46: by Mike, Assisting Moderator US Forces (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 2822 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Excellent news Cate, fingers crossed a few members grab a copy at that price :)"

I did!

message 47: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Should have figured!

:-)

message 48: by happy (last edited Feb 02, 2014 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

happy (happyone) | 2205 comments I finally got around reading this one and here are my thoughts

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 49: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17159 comments Another good review Happy, thanks for sharing.

message 50: by Mike, Assisting Moderator US Forces (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike | 2822 comments Like the review, happy.