The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old Contests > March on to April Contest Application.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 178 comments Mod
Please, read the rules first.

The prompt is:

Rebirth & entropy. Figurative or literal, from a zombie coming back to life to a tree sprite decaying. Whatever, or whenever, you wish, as long as it relates to the returning or the ending of life.

The format to enter is:

Name:
Title:
Submission:

If your entry is too long to fit in the comment section, post your story in the creative writing section of Goodreads and link to it here.

message 2: by Just Joe (new)

Just Joe (justjoe) Name: Joe or JJ
Title: Winter's Stay
Submission:
The ground laiden with snow, the bright sun shining on the sleeping trees covered with the ice of last nights freezing rain. The forest was dense with the deep brown, almost black trees and prickly, like a thorn bush, at the top. Today was the first day of spring, and yet spring had yet to surface beneath the cold harsh hand of winter.
As the sun lifted a bit more into the sky, turning it blue and bright, something seemed to appear in the tree trunks. Small lights sparkled in the small holes. Fluttering sounded throughout the forest, streaks of sparkles and soft hues of earth tones wizzing by. It was time.
A small face appeared. It was gentle and beautiful, a spriteling of the forest. They helped bring about the flowers and the grass for spring, making sure everything was nice and healthy. As the spriteling flew about all she could see was white and brown, white and brown. This was wrong! All wrong! Where was the grass? The new budding leaves on trees? Where were the flowers? The weeds? The chip muncks and squirrles? And the river?
She whooshed through the trees at lightning speed and scrambled to the river. She zigzagged and finally she relaxed a bit when she heard the flow of water. She stopped at the forest's edge and stared out at the wide river. It was deep and very dark, many said a grotesque monster lived within the depths.
Winter had taken its tole. The rim of the water was frozen other and there was ice covering the top in some parts further down. She leaned against a nearby tree and shook her head. She held her face softly, the cold starting to freeze her tiny arms and legs. She trembled as a harsh breeze drove her off the tree and into the snow bellow. It was sweetly cold. She stared up at the sky and wondered why. Why had spring not come yet? Why was there still snow and ice? This was a dangerous situation for the sprites.
She climbed out of the snow, her body almost as pail as the snow itself. She flew fast through the forset and back to her tree. The wind had picked up and was steadily pushing hr in the wrong direction. This was very bad. She tried to fight the wind but was only pushed further back and sometimes was sent tumbling in the snow. After a while she grew tired and sat in the snow, trembling. She dreamed of her nice warm tree, how it had protected her through the winter. How she missed that warm tree. She knew she had to leave the snow or she would fall the the icey grip of death like so many other had.
She had not the strength to move. She lay in the snow, again looking at the sky. She blinked slowly as her body began going numb. She was to far from her villaige to be noticed by anyone and so she lay there, exhausted and cold. She could hardly move as her breathing slowed and her blinking grew slower snd longer. She looked up at the sky, wishing she could live just a little longer to see her mother once more. She reached her fingers up to the sky, unable to lift anything else. She sighed one last time before her fingers dropped and her eyes closed. Thud Thud.........Thud Thud..................thud..thud.............................thud....................thud....th-.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments That's great Joe! It kind of reminds me of Fantasia.

message 4: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Can we post even if it is Unfinished ... I mean just chapter one ?

message 5: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Nice, Joe.

Augusti, yes it may be a first chapter, but it also must be able to stand on its own.

message 6: by Purvika (last edited Mar 23, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Ohk.... Then its fine ...umm sorry again ... Can I add picture too ?

message 7: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Augusti wrote: "Ohk.... Then its fine ...umm sorry again ... Can I add picture too ?"

So long as it meets the group rules, and isn't overlarge, I don't see why not.

message 8: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Wow Joe just read yours ... Its very nice...

message 9: by Just Joe (new)

Just Joe (justjoe) Thanks every one .^_^.

@Augusti thanks :D I like yours too :)

message 10: by Holly (last edited Mar 23, 2013 10:12AM) (new)

Holly | 69 comments It's been a while since I've been on, but I thought this could be fun.

Name: Holly
Title: Myth (or at least that's the title for now)
Submission: http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

Tell me what ya think:)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) @Frosty, NOW I'll have to read yours! Guess what I'll come by with XD

message 12: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments :p

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Think again xD I'm not coming with --> :b

message 14: by Purvika (last edited Apr 08, 2013 06:29AM) (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments ummmm.......I kinda edited few grammatical errors... So ... Here is my link ....... :)

Name : Purvika
Title : Your's For Eternity
Submission : I choose this because , for me sun and moon symbolize rebirth... Night and day ... For eternity......

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 15: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 11 comments Ok I'm entering this. In office now, so will submit later. Will go through the posted entries as of now ^^

Is it limited to one entry per person?

Btw I already read yours Purvika, it's great :)

message 16: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Thankkkzzz

message 17: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Yes, it is limited to one entry per person, but there isn't really a limit as to how long your entry can be.

message 18: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Iope it is okay to submit this for the contest because I already posted it in the discussion to write a short story, poem, whatever.
Name: Kylie
Title: "Near Death"
Submission:

Prologue

Sirens. That's the last thing I heard before I floated away. I feel strange, light. I have the sense that I am floating but I have no idea why. I can't see
Anything, I am just floating.

Chapter 1:

Those were my last thoughts and feelings seconds before I technically died for a minute and a half. Or so they told me, how was I supposed to know
how long I was dead for, I was dead! I still can't believe that I actually died, even for that short of a time. How scary is that? Talk about a wake up call.
Nothing motivates you to get healthy like a near death experience, right? I never knew I was so unhealthy, I mean I knew I was out of shape (walking up the
stairs without huffing and puffing is an foreign concept to me) but I had no idea it was so serious. The doctor said that I had I had stopped breathing in
the middle of the night, my airway had been constricted by fat in my neck (lovely). I was out for a few minutes before my mom came in and found me not
breathing, she freaked out (obviously) and quickly called 911. My mom started CPR right away, as per instructions from the 911 operator, and managed to keep
me breathing long enough for the professionals to get there and take over.

I decided then and there, after I woke up in the hospital (after being resuscitated) that I had to change. I had to take back control of my life and
get healthy so I could have the life that I was meant to have. Next Stop the gym! or Mcdonalds!

My mom picks me up from the hospital, insisting that I ride in a wheelchair to the car like an invalid. I have been in the hospital for a week, hooked
up to so many machines I felt like a real life computer. The doctors ran all sorts of tests on me to ensure that this kind of thing never happens again. The
results were typical of a heavier person, high this and high that (no not high as in drugs). My personal doctor through this whole experience was named
Dr. Jamie Collins, the most annoying person ever! She is so skinny that i'm not even sure there is a size that small, she looks swamped in her Doctor's coat.
She is actually really nice and I really like her, if I can stop thinking bad thoughts about feeding her doughnuts! She advised me to start moving and eating
healthier, as if this is the easiest thing in the world. This advice coming from a women who has probably never let a chesseburger cross her perfect lips and
runs marathons on the weekends. I snap back to reality, my mom is staring at me with a worried expression on her face, "Are you okay? Do I need to get the
nurse? Please sit down and let me help you!". Oh brother! I am not an 80 year old women who's bones are so frail they break when I sit up. If i'm ever going
to get healthier and avoid these hospital visits in the future, I need to start right away. I determidly get up from the wheelchair and take a step towards the
car. My mom shrieks and grabs my arm "Honey what are you doing? Dr. Collins insisted that you take it easy!". I roll my eyes in her direction "she said easy mom
not sedentary, I can certainly walk nice and slow to the car without spontaneouly combusting!". She clucks her tongue but stays silent and follows behind me
across the parking lot. As we reach the car, I start to reach for the door but she insists on opening it for me. This is going to be a longer process than I
realized. As we settle in the car, I am frusterated at being handled like a baby, I'm 23 for goodness sake, but I realize how insensitive I am being to my
mother. I take a deep breath and turn towards her "mom, im sorry for being so short with you, im just ready to put this experience behind me and start getting
stronger and healthier, it was important for me to walk to the car so that I don't go back to my old self. Besides everything happens for a reason, right?".
She sniffs and says quietly "Even someone you love dies?". Oh man, knife in my fat entombed heart. Talk about guilt, except for one thing, I DIDN'T DIE, I Lived!
And I intend to keep it that way *wink, wink*.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane (smallinabigworld) | 31 comments Jane
The Death of a Child
In the world where blackness seeps and shines, and the silver lining ducks and hides its eyes
The pain is so close and the light is so far, shining, flying, falling farther
Never coming back that any of us would know, Falling, falling farther like black bloodied snow
Writing on the window as I look into the sea, Blackest, deepest darkness trying to get a hold of me
Knives gnashing teeth , sharp cutting beauty, gems
Falling, trapped in space and time, nothing touching, nothing seeing, nothing caring, only bleeding
Of wounds that never close or seal, bleed till dry, only the dead feel
Just like you but never daring to cross the space, to spare the sparing,
to kill the live and contain the daring
To help the lazy and curse the helping
The backwards, upside-down to living, to be straightened out, to be bent in feeling
innocence like a child's young breathing
Then adult's, such twisted mind is seething, to take the life of such small child's sleeping
To steal the innocence it's keeping, and doom the life of it's mind and being
And rid the world of such irreplaceable wisdom
That lives in the heart
That replenish the soul
The child, the murderer
Heart, Mind, and Soul.

message 20: by Just Joe (new)

Just Joe (justjoe) Wow...Jane that was......there are no words.... I absolutely loved it...it's beautiful...

message 21: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Its beautiful... Hmmm ...

message 22: by Jane (new)

Jane (smallinabigworld) | 31 comments Augusti wrote: "Its beautiful... Hmmm ..."

Just Joe wrote: "Wow...Jane that was......there are no words.... I absolutely loved it...it's beautiful..."

Thank you both so much!

message 23: by ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (last edited Mar 30, 2013 10:56PM) (new)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) All of you are awesome =]
@frosty, excluding your writing xD i'll read Iton your profile "D

message 24: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (dciphoenix) | 9 comments Name: Rose
Title: Wesker's Wrath
Submission: www.fanfiction.net/s/9150873/1/Wesker...

Thank you! :)

message 25: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Some very nice entries so far everyone. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that entries must be written for this contest and may not be published elsewhere nor have been used in other contests.

message 26: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Ummm.... I must tell you... I haven't written my story with the sole reason of this contest... I started it before knowing about the contest... But yes... Haven't posted it elsewhere... And have no intention to also... So will it still be counted ... :)

message 27: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

No that's fine. I'm only reminding people so they don't enter with unreasonable submissions. We've had people try and enter fully published books in these contests, which sort of defeats the purpose.

message 28: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Ohk ok.. I get it ... :) thank you

message 29: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (dciphoenix) | 9 comments Mine just so happened to be a fanfiction piece so I uploaded it to fanfiction.net where I post most of my work anyway. I don't see mine unreasonable I merely wrote a piece about decay and rebirth in not nessacarily the sterotypical way. Without mentioning the 'z' word.

message 30: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Rosie wrote: "Mine just so happened to be a fanfiction piece so I uploaded it to fanfiction.net where I post most of my work anyway. I don't see mine unreasonable I merely wrote a piece about decay and rebirth i..."

Just to clear the record: If there is something wrong with your entry you'll get a PM from me explaining why I think it is objectionable. I won't just delete entries out of hand. Everyone in this thread has entered worthy pieces.

message 31: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Fuller (wwwgoodreadscomgaylordcat) | 1 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Some very nice entries so far everyone. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that entries must be written for this contest and may not be published elsewhere nor have been used ..."

Uh Oh! My entry has been published. My bad. I'll re-enter. Sorry.

message 32: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 39 comments I'll be joining this soon.

message 33: by May (new)

May | 10 comments Name: Sakura
Title: Floating

I'm floating.

It's so peaceful.

I remember...
The crash.
The squealing of wheels against the pavement.
The turning and seeing a car hurtling towards me, the panicked driver's white face.
Then... darkness.
Then floating.

Just floating. It's dark. Nice, but dark.

I can hear something.

"OH MY GOD!!!"
"Is she dead?!"
"SOMEBODY CALL 911!!!!!"
"Hello? Can you hear me??"
"Back away; she needs room to breathe!"
"Is she breathing??"

It's quiet. Good. Now I can-

"SHE'S NOT BREATHING!!!!" screams a panicked voice.

Shut up already! I'm trying to get some peace here!

Wait...

Am I dead?

If I was, I don't think I'd be thinking.

The darkness swirls around me. It's getting a little less dark, a little more...
grey.

I can see a pinprick of light, off in the distance. It seems to be dancing. Inviting me in.
I smile. Then I notice I have a body.
I'm wearing this short white dress. Pretty. It floats around, just like my long brown hair. Like I'm underwater.
Is it water? Am I breathing?

No. I'm not.

The voices are fading. Finally.

I drift towards the light. I can see... faces. Welcoming, happy faces, glowing. In the light.

I glide forward until I am right in front of the light. It is very big. It is very bright.
But it doesn't hurt my eyes.
I slip my hand through it. A sense of well-being spreads throughout my body.

A feeling of love.

Of compassion.

Of belonging.

Should I do this?

Yes, my body says. Yes, you should.
Yes, my mind says. It is time.
Time for what?

Time for a new beginning, my mind says.

Should I?

Yes, says my whole being. Yes.

And so I float in to the light.

And I'm home.

message 34: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (dciphoenix) | 9 comments Wow! Just wow! I loved every word! :)

message 35: by Holly (new)

Holly | 69 comments Me too, that was awesome, Sakura!

message 36: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Quick reminder guys: only three days left to enter! I'm liking what I see so far.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) At the brink
Comes I
To elaborate your shrink
A poem by
~ignore that~

Name: Numey
Title: The World to Me is Them
Submission:

When I thought that I had none
Came from a land of hope they
Across the moonlight, from the sun
Making me live for just another day
Each one of them, a humble human

Before, I knew not what was friendship
I never knew what was the belonging
Moving alongside each relationship
Aching hearts that feel the longing
Mutual among this little kinship

Had I a guardian, an angel in disguise
Then a King to rule my dear world
Seen as some being high to the eyes
And now my heart beats for two more unfurled
Bound by friendship, love, no lies

My heart had these four in it
The only four who I would die for
But now, slowly, bit by bit
Little souls knock at my door
Of my chambers, within my orbit

The minority mean the world to me
Oh why do I feel so guilty for the rest
Heartaches lead to mind ordeals, shall I flee
Back into oblivion, back in my cozy nest
Thinking this, I look at the vast blue sea

Been hurt before, dread I to be back there
Not a one to display my emotion, I conceal
Yet seek me those new souls, and they care
One day, out of this misery, I shall reveal
Till then I grieve, till I see my flare

Never before, had I been loved as much
Not in the new days, not in reminiscing
My heart's too vulnerable, I'll hide in my hutch
As have before, for I feel the knocking
And now I await that feather light touch

~~~~~~~~~~~*******~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Done! =)

message 38: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Last day guys!

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) The Raven wrote: "Ok I'm entering this. In office now, so will submit later. Will go through the posted entries as of now ^^

Is it limited to one entry per person?

Btw I already read yours Purvika, it's great :)"

Hear that Raven San? You never got the chance :b

message 40: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments :p his later got much later I guess...or he forgot his later :p

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Maybe xD Seen mine Frosty? =)

message 42: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Read :p

message 44: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Leave that overcoat of guilt in attic ...

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) I never felt guilt free. This not a thread to talk about it. Choose a chat one.

message 46: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments K

message 47: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

So apparently when I say evening, I mean the next day afternoon.

On to more pleasant topics though! I'm pleased to announce this month's winner and the runner-up. So without further ado, here they are:

Our judges were unanimous in their decision to award Sakura with "Floating" as our winner. And, for her entry "The Type of Summer", Kggelen has earned herself second place.

Congratulations to both our winners, and thanks to everyone who entered. It was a great pleasure to read all the entries.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) Congratulations to Sakura and Katie! =)

message 49: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 57 comments Congrats to both of you .... Your entries were really amazing....

☁ ℳisty ℳoonlit ℳemories ☾ (dreamsnitemarecrisis) | 17 comments Congratulations, guys. :D

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.