Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2013 Challenge Archive > April Monthly Challenge – Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments April Monthly Challenge

This thread is for suggestions and questions for the various categories. The thread for participants is located HERE.

1. “A" is for April: Read a book that starts with 'A' or a book whose author's first or last name starts with 'A'.

2. Happy Birthday!: Read a book from a April birthday celebrant's GR bookshelf whose name/nickname starts with the same letter as yours OR match the date of your birthday (1-30) to a member on the RRRC April Birthday List. If no initials or dates match exactly, pick the next closest letter or date (above or below).

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, character or setting is from The Netherlands. OR, The Netherlands is known for its agricultural exports, including approximately 2/3 of the world’s fresh flowers and bulbs, and The Hague is known as “the world’s legal capital” – so, read a book that has a character or characters involved in agriculture (farming, ranching, gardening, etc), a book with flowers on the cover, or a book in which law enforcement or the legal profession play a part.

4. Fourth Month: Read a book that has a 4 word title, is 4th in a series, or has an average rating on GoodReads of 4.00 or higher.

5. National Humor Month: Read a funny book.

6. Titanic Remembrance Day (April 15): Read a book set on a ship, on or near the water, or involving a disaster (natural or man-made).

7. Blah Blah Blah Day (April 17): Read a book that someone else suggested you read, or a book that you have been hearing a lot of discussion about.

8. Kindergarten Day (April 21): Read a book involving a child, a teacher or student, or a YA book.

9. Take a Chance Day (April 23): Read a book that is by a new to you author, or part of a new to you series or genre.

10. Reader's Choice:

Challenge Duration: April 1 to April 30, 2012

You can choose 3, 5, 8 or all 10 categories depending on your reading speed, book availability and/or time commitment.

When posting your challenge progress, please make sure to put the date/s when you finished your book/s.

Please repost your progress as it helps when updating.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments If anyone has any suggestions of Dutch authors or books set in The Netherlands, I'm sure they would be greatly appreciated. I didn't find much, but here's what I did find:

Books set in The Netherlands

Books set in Amsterdam

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "If anyone has any suggestions of Dutch authors or books set in The Netherlands, I'm sure they would be greatly appreciated. I didn't find much, but here's what I did find:

Books set in The Nether..."

Fortunately the other choices for this category are pretty wide. Thanks Karen :)

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Fortunately the other choices for this category are pretty wide. Thanks Karen :)"

Yeah, I got nervous when I started looking for links, but once I figured out what I was going to do for the other options I was able to relax about it.

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19613 comments You did good! ;)

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Thanks! :)

message 7: by Lacy (last edited Mar 21, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1864 comments I'm reading Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) by Gayle Forman right now and the main male character is Dutch.

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Thanks, Lacy!

message 9: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1864 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Thanks, Lacy!"

Your welcome! I acutally just edited my post. The character says he is Dutch.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee Nicole | 175 comments Hey Karen, awesome categories this month!! Question: for #6, can I use a spaceship?

message 11: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Renee wrote: "Hey Karen, awesome categories this month!! Question: for #6, can I use a spaceship?"

Thanks, Renee! As far as I'm concerned a spaceship is perfectly fine - it doesn't say anything about what kind of ship, and I'm firm believer in interpreting the rules however you can to make them work for you! :D

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments This will be great!

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments I know that nearly every Betty Neels book has a Dutch doctor or they go to the Netherlands. If you've read one you've read them all. But at least they are pretty quick reads.

message 14: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments Dutch Treat Dutch Treat by Andrew Grey is an m/m book set in The Netherlands.

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Sandra wrote: "I know that nearly every Betty Neels book has a Dutch doctor or they go to the Netherlands. If you've read one you've read them all. But at least they are pretty quick reads."

Thanks Sandra, I'd forgotten about her...it's been well over 30 years since I've read anything by her, but back when I was in my early teens and just discovering romance novels, I loved her books!

Fran wrote: "Dutch TreatDutch Treat by Andrew Grey is an m/m book set in The Netherlands."

That one's definitely going on my wishlist - I've really enjoyed the few books I've read by Andrew Grey. Thanks, Fran!

message 16: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments karenH Wrote " so, read a book that has a character or characters involved in agriculture (farming, ranching, gardening, etc), a book with flowers on the cover, or a book in which law enforcement or the legal profession play a part. "

so i can read a book that is not From Netherlands, as long as it has the agricultural setting or it should still be in the Netherlands?

message 17: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments funny romantic book is okay?

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments Questian wrote: "karenH Wrote " so, read a book that has a character or characters involved in agriculture (farming, ranching, gardening, etc), a book with flowers on the cover, or a book in which law enforcement ..."

Yes, Questian, you can read any book you want that has to do with agriculture or has flowers on cover or law enforcement. Doesn't have to be from The Netherlands. Funny romantic is fine as well :)

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I know that nearly every Betty Neels book has a Dutch doctor or they go to the Netherlands. If you've read one you've read them all. But at least they are pretty quick reads."

Thank..."

You're welcome KarenH!

message 20: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments THank you so much
!!!!!!!!!!!!1

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments Questian wrote: "THank you so much
!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

You're welcome!

message 22: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments hehehehehe.. i'm listing the books that i will read for this challenge, so far, i have only 4 books...
how about for the #5, the book at made you laugh like so hard that would be okay too right?

message 23: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments Any book that you think would be funny works for #5 :)

message 24: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments okay,, thanks

message 25: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Thanks for answering while I was sleeping, Fran! :)

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10986 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Thanks for answering while I was sleeping, Fran! :)"

LOL, I did think about that when I answered :)

message 27: by Chris (last edited Apr 03, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments A is for April: Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham finished 04/03

Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1) by Marsha Canham

message 28: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Chris wrote: "A is for April: Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham finished 04/03

Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1) by Marsha Canham"

Great start, Chris - but you may want to post this in the Participants Thread - this thread is just for questions and suggestions. :) Enjoy the challenge!

message 29: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments 1. “A" is for April: Lawlor, Laurie Crossing Colorado Rockies

2. Happy Birthday!:
Read a book from a April birthday celebrant's GR bookshelf whose name/nickname starts with the same letter as yours OR match the date of your birthday (1-30) to a member on the RRRC April Birthday List. If no initials or dates match exactly, pick the next closest letter or date (above or below).

4. Fourth Month: Brunstetter, Wanda E. Goodbye to Yesterday

5. National Humor Month: Quinn, Spencer Thereby Hangs a Tail takjugb dig
Read a funny book.

6. Titanic Remembrance Day Kinkade. Thomas Cape Light

7. Blah Blah Blah Day Gardner, Lisa Touch & Go

8. Kindergarten DayL Copland, Lori Faith
9. Take a Chance Day: Copeland, Lori Faith Brides of West bk 1

message 30: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) | 260 comments here are mine:

1. “A" is for April: Lawlor, Laurie Crossing Colorado Rockies - An American Sisters Series

5. National Humor Month: Quinn, Spencer Thereby Hangs a Tail takjugb dig

6. Titanic Remembrance Day Kinkade. Thomas Cape Light
(April 15): Read a book set on a ship, on or near the water, or involving a
disaster (natural/not.

7. Blah Blah Blah Day Gardner, Lisa Touch & Go

8. Kindergarten DayL Copland, Lori June

9. Take a Chance Day: Copeland, Lori Faith Brides of West bk 1

10. Reader's Choice: Sala, Sharon Missing

message 31: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Lindy wrote: "here are mine:

1. “A" is for April: Lawlor, Laurie Crossing Colorado Rockies - An American Sisters Series

5. National Humor Mo..."

Hi Lindy,

This is the thread for suggestions and questions about the challenge - you might want to repost your list in the Participants' thread, here.

Hope you enjoyed this month's challenge!