Blogger Lift discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Comment/Feedback Seekers > What are your feelings towards the "Follow for a Follow" phenomenon?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments So, it seems that EVERYONE is into this whole "Follow for a Follow" thing. Am I the only one who isn't a fan of it? I want people to follow me if they like my content, and I want to follow people if I like their content.

I can't be the only one with this mindset, right?

message 2: by Briana (new)

Briana | 63 comments I only follow blogs I'm actually interested in. I don't mind the postings because they introduce me to new blogs to check out; but if I don't actually want to follow them, I won't. I certainly wouldn't want people to feel as though they "have to" follow mine in return if they don't really care about the content.

message 3: by Summer (new)

Summer (gudetamas) I totally understand why you would dislike it. Its kind of like you're obligated to follow a blog if they follow you. Personally, I do occassionally use the "Follow for a Follow" thing, but I am not forceful about it. A lot of people are pretty forceful, which really bugs me, and I refrain from following them. But, it does gain followers and helps more people discover your blog, so that's pretty big. I guess its just a tecnique to publicize your blog more. To me, I don't think that having tons of followers is that important, the key is to get people interested in your posts. I agree, it is overused.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) I think it's sort of similar to the whole Twitter follow for a follow thing. For a while, it felt like there was this pressure to follow someone who started following your tweets. But when too many of those accounts were really just trying to sell me something and I knew they were ONLY following me so I'd follow them, I don't fall for it.

I feel the same for blogs. I'd love for more people to follow my blog, but I'd rather it be out of real interest (as well as the fact that I don't want my blog readers getting bogged down with a million blogs that I may not actually have wanted to follow in the first place). :P It comes off as so spammy.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica (Reading Kitten) I think it's useful when you just started your blog. You don't just get followers automatically if no one knows that your blog even exists.

message 6: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Summer {MissFictional} wrote: "I totally understand why you would dislike it. Its kind of like you're obligated to follow a blog if they follow you. Personally, I do occassionally use the "Follow for a Follow" thing, but I am not forceful about it. A lot of people are pretty forceful, which really bugs me, and I refrain from following them. But, it does gain followers and helps more people discover your blog, so that's pretty big. I guess its just a tecnique to publicize your blog more. To me, I don't think that having tons of followers is that important, the key is to get people interested in your posts. I agree, it is overused. "

Yeah, if people weren't so forceful about it I wouldn't mind as much. Couple days ago someone follows my blog, I tell them thanks. Little bit later they reply asking me if I've followed them yet because they couldn't find my name anywhere. They act as if it should just be natural for me to follow them. This is all after I explicitly say in my post that I will follow you if I like your content, and I would like you to do the same. This natural assumption that the practice breeds is what's bad. How people handle their audience is none of my business, but once you are involving me? Then there is a need for a talk.

It doesn't help that the "Follow for a Follow" is so tempting. Easy numbers? Why not! I'm regularly tempted by it, but in the end I'm not going for numbers. This is a hobby and I want people who'll interact with the content, not those who will just see it in a stream of other posts.

message 7: by Cain (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "I think it's sort of similar to the whole Twitter follow for a follow thing. For a while, it felt like there was this pressure to follow someone who started following your tweets. But when too many of those accounts were really just trying to sell me something and I knew they were ONLY following me so I'd follow them, I don't fall for it.

I feel the same for blogs. I'd love for more people to follow my blog, but I'd rather it be out of real interest (as well as the fact that I don't want my blog readers getting bogged down with a million blogs that I may not actually have wanted to follow in the first place). :P It comes off as so spammy.
"

More than spammy I think it comes across as almost insulting. What they're saying is "I want a lot of numbers!!! I don't care who you are, just as long as I get numbers!!!" While that is a giant generalization, I believe it's true that the practice can cheapen your name.

Why can't everyone instead post things like "New YA Book Blog! A strong focus on paranormal romance! Follow if you enjoy." While that is still shameless advertising, it isn't forcing everyone into an uncomfortable obligation. Personally, I love to check out random little blogs. However, if by looking, I am now bound to follow? Puts a real bad taste in my mouth.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) Cain wrote: "More than spammy I think it comes across as almost insulting. What they're saying is "I want a lot of numbers!!! I don't care who you are, just as long as I get numbers!!!" While that is a giant generalization, I believe it's true that the practice can cheapen your name.

Why can't everyone instead post things like "New YA Book Blog! A strong focus on paranormal romance! Follow if you enjoy." While that is still shameless advertising, it isn't forcing everyone into an uncomfortable obligation. Personally, I love to check out random little blogs. However, if I by looking I am no bound to follow? Puts a real bad taste in my mouth..."

I agree. I think it also discourages a certain level of discussion about the blog's topic, etc. It's a handshake with no introductions or subsequent conversation...

message 9: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "I agree. I think it also discourages a certain level of discussion about the blog's topic, etc. It's a handshake with no introductions or subsequent conversation... "

That's a great way to put it. "It's a handshake with no introductions or subsequent conversation..." If you don't mind, I may use that sometimes.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) You're definitely not the only one, Cain. I'd rather only have a handful of followers that are actually interested in my posts than a fleet of "empty" followers that are only there to boost numbers.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) Haha by all means feel free to use that analogy. :-)

message 12: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Marie wrote: "You're definitely not the only one, Cain. I'd rather only have a handful of followers that are actually interested in my posts than a fleet of "empty" followers that are only there to boost numbers."

Exactly. I started this as a hobby so I could get into discussion and because I wanted to advise people. Who starts this for the numbers? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have masses of followers, if they are there to actually follow me.

message 13: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Michelle wrote: "Haha by all means feel free to use that analogy. :-)"

Thanks. I always feel weird if I don't ask permission... But I've never been told no. Guess it's some weird pet-peeve.

message 14: by Cain (last edited Mar 22, 2013 02:58PM) (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Ruby wrote: "No, I agree with you. I don't mind 'share your blog links', as that just introduces you to blogs... But following blogs so you get something out of it is stupid..."

Sharing you blog is great! Your blog gets some attention, everyone else is introduced to a new source of content. When they throw in "Follow Me or I'll stalk and kill you"... Yeah. I love looking at random blogs, you never know what you'll find. It's nice when it's commitment free.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 48 comments Yeah........I mean, it's nice, but the only blogs on here are BOOK REVIEW BLOGS, and they all have the same reviews with the same books. I'm kinda hoping someone can dish something else out.

I run a soap/fragrance/anything cool review blog, and my more popular blog that's told from the view of my cat.

www.lerenifleurleopard.blogspot.com
www.purrfectlypickles.blogspot.com

message 16: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Julia wrote: "I run a soap/fragrance/anything cool review blog, and my more popular blog that's told from the view of my cat."

I've been considering doing something slightly similar to your cat's blog. (Does this cat have a name?) By that I mean, a blog driven from a point of view other than mine, though if I were to do it, it'd be a proper story. The entire story would already be written and I'd just have it go up a bit everyday, with the idea that the character is writing a blog post everyday and that's what you're reading. Sorta similar? Not very, is it?

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 48 comments My cat's name is Pickles. :)

Purrfectly Pickles is more of a day-to-day blog, where I post daily LOLs and stories.

The way you want to do it would work PERFECTLY too.

message 18: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Julia wrote: "My cat's name is Pickles. :)

Purrfectly Pickles is more of a day-to-day blog, where I post daily LOLs and stories.

The way you want to do it would work PERFECTLY too."

Pickles? More unique than anything I've ever given to a cat. Only cat I ever named was Rupert but two of my brothers have (or had) cats too, Reggie and Houdini I do believe.

I once ran into a great blog that was from the POV of an old, grumpy wiener dog. One of those hilarious things that you promise yourself to remember the name of, but never do. There's also the Henri videos on Youtube that are great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34z5d...

It's probably going to be one of those things that I never will get around to doing. Too many story ideas, to little time. Actually more than enough time, too much laziness. Even if I were to get around to it, I can't even guess when it would be. I have two fantasy novels I want to write, TONS of short stories (for some reason I got it into my head that I want to make a story for every song this one band does), and a blog that I would like to give some effort to. Can't complain about having lots of ideas though, can I?

message 19: by Amy, ~Bookworm Lift~ (last edited Apr 09, 2013 06:17AM) (new)

Amy (amy_bookworm) | 207 comments Mod
Ruby wrote: "No, I agree with you. I don't mind 'share your blog links', as that just introduces you to blogs... But following blogs so you get something out of it is stupid..."

Fixed! Thanks to Char ;) It isn't obligatory there anymore.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 32 comments I think it's good for building an initial following since it's really difficult to get your blog seen by people at first without being spammy, but after awhile it's time to put your follow-for-follow days behind you. I think that happened for me after 90 followers.

I also wish there would be a sort of etiquette to it. Like, I'd never even think of commenting with just "Followed your blog! Follow mine at ____!" because, no. At least read the post first.

I still make sure to check out all the links to blogs people leave on my comments and follow unless the content is just bad, but I completely ignore those comments that scream "I don't care about the time you spent to write this post! Follow my blog! Now let me go spam a hundred other bloggers!"

A blog with a couple hundred followers but no pageviews and comments is worth less than a blog with a dozen followers who actually read your posts and trust your opinions. A lot of the follow-for-follow fanatics are just in it for the free NetGalley books and ARCs.

message 21: by Char (new)

Char (CharmaineElaine) | 253 comments I used the Follow for Follow as a way to get followers when I first started blogging, and again after I came back from a long blogging hiatus because I'd been ill. They're a great way to just get your blog out there.

Now I have 286 (I think) followers and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm more interested in getting people to read my content now.

I do try to read the blogs of those that I follow but I don't have enough hours in the day.

One last thing, I do love the idea of button exchanges though. It's a nice way to get yourself out there without spamming people half to death.

I don't think it's fair to slam the idea of it though. I met Amy through F4F and now she's mah Blogger buddy!!

message 22: by Amy, ~Bookworm Lift~ (new)

I have a habit of doing that... If they aren't interested I'll unfollow & then they'll unfollow me. Luckily some bloggers are interested in communication.

message 23: by Reazi (new)

Reazi | 9 comments It's a technique with benefits (many aforementioned in this post). But if you want readers then I don't see it as very useful. Content should drive readers not he other way around.

message 24: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments MadauG wrote: "It's a technique with benefits (many aforementioned in this post). But if you want readers then I don't see it as very useful. Content should drive readers not he other way around."

But how can the content drive readers if no one knows it exists? The Follow 4 a Follow tactic is a valid way of getting mass attention, but it's shallow. However, no matter how shallow, some people will stick. There's a barrier one has to cross before your content can effectively drive traffic.

message 25: by Amy, ~Bookworm Lift~ (new)

Cain, now you're supporting it somewhat so I think your question has been answered! Must we continue (civilly pLease!) discussing this question or can I lock it?
Thanks,
The Blogger Lift Mods (:

message 26: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments Amy wrote: "Cain, now you're supporting it somewhat so I think your question has been answered! Must we continue (civilly pLease!) discussing this question or can I lock it?
Thanks,
The Blogger Lift Mods (:"

Feel free! I think just about every perspective has been shown and the conversation would only be artificially extended by me playing devil's advocate. The only way to add more to the conversation would be to write a full length article on it, and this is not the place for that.

message 27: by Amy, ~Bookworm Lift~ (new)

Glad we agree Cain! :D I'll only lock it as I think it's good for people to see & if they really wanted to participate they could tell me to unlock (nicely) ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.