SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Unknown (Outcast Season, #2)
This topic is about Unknown
Archive: 2013 Buddy Reads > April Buddy Read - Unknown by Rachel Caine

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Continuing on from our Outcast Season buddy read, we'll be reading the 2nd in the series on April 15th.

Go! :D

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Yay!!

message 3: by Lis (new) - added it

Lis | 3607 comments I'm in.... And will try to hold off until the 15th. But I'm really tempted to keep on going now.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments If you're in the mood, Lis, you should keep going. Just put all your thoughts in spoilers, and we can all discuss when we catch up.

message 5: by Lis (new) - added it

Lis | 3607 comments I should be good, next week is like march madness for me with 7 new releases in series that I'm following. I'll have plenty to read...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah, I totally know that feeling Lis! But having it later in the month always makes me look forward to it :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments We ready to pick this up soonish?

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Yep. I'm ready whenever y'all are.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I started this one but had to stop after 80 pages. Sorry! I just didn't like it as much as the first one. It started to seem more like what I didn't like about the Weather Warden series. (Sorry to be vague, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.) I'll wait until you get to where I stopped and then I'll chime in.

message 10: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Apr 14, 2013 09:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Oh no Jean! That's a shame! I'm nearly finished my current book, will be ready for this one soon.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Oh no Jean that sucks. I was hopping that this one would be better for you.

Jeann I'll be ready to start tomorrow.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I'm not sure why I'm not feeling Ms. Caine's books. Usually our book tastes are so similar, Jeann.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I know, there's few authors that I fangirl over and Caine is one of them.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments I finished this tonight, couldn't put it down once I got home from work. I can't wait to see what it was that made you stop Jean.

These all have general book spoilers so I'd say stay away until you're done just in case. If I could read slower I would have been able to separate my thoughts based on the part of the book they're in. Now it's all just jumbled in my head.

Ma'at (view spoiler)

Cass (view spoiler)

Cass and Luis (view spoiler)

Time frame (view spoiler)

So great (view spoiler)

Dire Straits (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Finally finished my other book and about to get down to this one. Wow, must have been great for you to read all of that quickly!

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments It doesn't help that I that every time I'm about to stop is when it's getting good. There were probably moments I could have put the book down, but I kept going cause I was at work and had nothing else to do. It's a good read though. Can't wait until you get through it.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Page 150 - (view spoiler)

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Jeann that was exactly how I felt about both of those situations. Cass is badass for sure.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Alright, I've just finished the book and unfortunately it didn't have the same spark to me as the weather warden series, and the first series itself. Even though the whole cruise ship scenario was random at best, maybe it's my love for David and Jo that made that book a better one for me.

I think it's just Ms Caine's love for conspiracy and the huge world-ending scenarios. Because the previous book was on a lower scale than the whole apocalypse thing, I think that's what made it better than this one. But as you said Paris, it's becoming the whole 'impossible situation' thing again.

Kids (view spoiler)

I sorely missed Jo and David in this one, and even Lewis that self-serving bastard lol.

Ma'at (view spoiler)

Cass (view spoiler)

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments You're right about it being intense from beginning to end. This series doesn't have the lightness that Jo brought to the Weather Warden series. Plus, the whole thing with the kids just makes it even darker. I don't like this series as much as the Weather Wardens, but I'll definitely keep reading cause I'm curious as to how things will work out.

And yes you're correct about the Ma'at and where they came from.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awesome, did you want to schedule the next book in? I have a super busy month next month, so we may have to make it in June?

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments June works for me. I'm having surgery next month so I don't know if I'd be able to get to it.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Oh no, I hope it's not anything serious and that you'll recover soon.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments I'm having my tonsils removed finally. It's about a 2 week recovery or so. Hopefully. lol

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Oooh, does that mean you get to stay home and rest? (and read). I hope your surgery goes well!

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Yep. Two weeks off of work Yay! I have a ton of books to read and audiobooks if I can't seem to pick up a physical book or my Kindle. I'm all set.

Thanks!

message 27: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy I never got into this series like I did the Weather Warden one. I don't know what it was that didn't draw me in like Rachel Caine's books usually do.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah, the first book started off well but then this one I wasn't so sure about either. HEre's my review on it: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 29: by Sami (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:01PM) (new)

Sami | 3 comments Is this group going to do any more buddy reads? I notice there isn't one for May or June?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yup, we're going to read Unseen (Outcast Season, #3) by Rachel Caine on June 24th. However if you're interested in doing a buddy read feel free to post in the http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... thread to see if anyone wants to team up!

message 31: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1732 comments I liked this one much better than the first one. More violence & brutality. Yum! Agree with the whole "end of the world" thing, Jeann. It reminds me of the scene from Mummy II where the Magi tells the others that the Mummy will try to take over the world & Jonathan says: oh yeah, the ol' wipe out the world ploy, eh? hehehe

message 32: by Sami (last edited Jun 15, 2013 07:10PM) (new)

Sami | 3 comments Jeann wrote: "Yup, we're going to read Unseen (Outcast Season, #3) by Rachel Caine on June 24th. However if you're interested in doing a buddy read feel free to post in the http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8......"

Ahh cool thank you :D I noticed the June thread today! (sorry for going off topic)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unseen (other topics)