Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) Days of Blood & Starlight discussion

Better than the first book?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lena I HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK YET so no spoilers please. I'm having a debate with myself on whether or not I should buy the sequel to daughter of smoke and bone. I loved the first book, but I rated it four stars. Is this one better than the first book? Should I buy it?

Anka I think I ended up rating it a little higher than the first one. It still wasn't in 5 star territory, because I had definite issues with both, but I'd say it and book 1 are at least equal. But maybe you could borrow it from the library just to be sure?

Lena are there anymore chapters about Karou's past as Madrigal? I found those parts pretty boring...

Anka They talk about Karou as Madrigal, but iirc, it's just mentioned, so it's not like in the first book, where so many chapters were dedicated to Madrigal's POV, if that helps.

Sofia I was actually surprised, usually the first book is better than the rest of a series, but i have too say Days of Blood and Starlight surpassed daughter of smoke and bone.

Jennifer I think the second book would make more sense if you read the first book first. The first book ends as "to be continued" and the second book pretty much picks up where it left off. I thoroughly enjoyed both books but they are both very different in storyline/intensity.

Nicole The second book was darker than the first which I really liked. I thought the second was better than the first. If you liked the first one, why not continue through the cliffhanger?

Kahlan I loved both the books. This series is easily the best I've read. The second book is darker and a bit heartbreaking. I think the second book is better. You get to see more of Eretz.

Sorrel The second book is definitely darker, it really was heartbreaking like Kahlan said. I would recommend you read it. However, if you enjoy lighter reads then maybe you should just get it out of the library...?

message 10: by Cari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cari I liked the second book better than the first. Madrigal is mentioned often, but as a point of contrast with Karou and to help better understand Karou's choices.
Also, from the romantic perspective, it serves the purpose of highlighting that Akiva and Karou have, in many senses, a completely different love story.

Jenelle I liked the first book way way more than the second. Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I couldn't put it down.
That was NOT my experience with the sequel. I felt like I was forcing myself to read, I kept checking to see how many pages were left.
Its not as tho the story is BAD, it just gets really really slow in the middle.

I thought you deserved an alternative opinion, as everyone else seemed to love the second book.

That being said, why on earth are you debating it? It's a series, you really liked the first. You'll probably be interested in the third. I am, even though I didn't especially like Days of Blood and Starlight.

Go read it.

message 12: by P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P. Kirby I preferred the second book, but I think that's because it doesn't have the job of setting up the series, and therefore, moves a bit faster. It is more action-oriented and also starts to dig into the darker thematic stuff that I really like, with less emphasis on the romance.

But.. mileage definitely will vary.

Charlie Lena wrote: "I HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK YET so no spoilers please. I'm having a debate with myself on whether or not I should buy the sequel to daughter of smoke and bone. I loved the first book, but I rated it f..."
I would get it from the library. That is what I did but the second book is better than the first.

Lilac I liked this one better than the first because it was less romance-centered and not much about it was about Karou's normal every day life (though it's not about her as Madrigal either).

message 15: by Laura Elizabeth (last edited May 13, 2013 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Elizabeth I am the minority here. I loved the first book but thought the second was not as good. Still I liked it. When I think about other books that are a trilogy though, the "middle child" book often is the guts of the trilogy and usually not as interesting since it's the middle story building up to the finale.
I would say buy it... it's a good book. The author develops more of the contributing characters in this book. But maybe do a re-read on Daughter of Smoke and Bone beforehand since it was so long between books. ( I forgot some of it and had to go back) Unless you just recently got into this series and it's fresh in your mind.

Natty I loved both books however this one was way better than the first book I can read it twenty time over and still love it

Teresa Yes, the second book was better. The writing style seemed so different, almost like the first and second were written by two different people. The first was good though. Read them both, they are enjoyable.

Nicole D. Yes I loved the second book better.The first one was only 4 stars and the second was 5 to me.I can't wait for book 3.

Hailie I really liked both of the books.... I could not choose which one was my favorite....

Karou Honestly, I think it was just as mind blowing as the first, if not a bit more.

message 21: by Chester (new) - added it

Chester Lucian Baldwin Personally I couldn't get in to this one. I really liked the first one more.

message 22: by Zoey (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoey no i hated this book

Sorrel Zoey wrote: "no i hated this book"
what did you hate about it? Did you like the first one?

message 24: by Lena (last edited Jun 14, 2013 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena wow i posted this discussion three months ago and only just got the library book two weeks ago due to the massive number of people on hold for this book.

Anyways i finally finished it yesterday and OH MY GOD! I personally think it's much better than than the first. Now we have to wait for the third book to be released :'(

Nicole D. Lena wrote: "wow i posted this discussion three months ago and only just got the library book two weeks ago due to the massive number of people on hold for this book.

Anyways i finally finished it yesterday an..."

I know.It doesn't come intil next year :(

Diana Braxton Lena wrote: "I HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK YET so no spoilers please. I'm having a debate with myself on whether or not I should buy the sequel to daughter of smoke and bone. I loved the first book, but I rated it f..."

I think you should get it from the library if you are unsure about it!