Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive promotions > Tate Publishing??? I need some input to make a decision.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 146 comments I've just gotten an acceptance letter from Tate Publishing. After doing some research I'm thinking of waiting to hear back from other publishers.

Has anyone had any experience with Tate Publishing? Good or bad I'd like to hear it.

message 2: by R. (new)

R. Patrick (goodreadscomuser_richardphughes) | 5 comments If you're uncomfortable with the publisher, I'd wait to hear from others. I know nothing about Tate, but I'd go slowly until you're sure.

message 3: by Jerri (new)

Jerri Aubry | 102 comments I know there are a few other authors around here that are published by them hopefully they can enlighten you about the company. If your gut says to wait than wait. You can always go to them later.

message 4: by A.L. (last edited Mar 20, 2013 05:13PM) (new)

A.L. Phillips (authoralphillips) | 17 comments Don't go with Tate. It's basically a very expensive self-publishing company. If you want to self-publish, there are better ways of going about it that will give you higher percentages of book sales and more control over what happens to your book.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Lesh (mclesh) You might want to check out the very lengthy thread about Tate Publishing here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/s...

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 146 comments Thank you everyone for your help. I have decided to wait and not sign with Tate Publishing. Hopefully I will get some more acceptance letters soon. Thanks again.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments Hey Jill, just some additional information for you on Tate Publishing from Preditors and Editors:

Tate Publishing: (Not Recommended) A subsidy publisher.

Some advice, you find a list of publishers, read into them get a good feel for what they offer and what they are about. If at anytime you see fees for basic things or stuff that doesn't seem right you back off, or just look them up on Absolute Write or P&E and if they are listed as bad just look to the next one.

Hope this helps

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 146 comments I did just speak with someone at Tate. These are some of the questions I had and didn't feel too easy about their answers.

1. I've spent a lot of time & effort on my book covers & image. These would go away & they would create new ones.

2. I've self published & have made Okay sales to date. He told me "You won't get any other publishers to sign you on." Then he told me all my "okay" Sales were friends & family. NOTE: No they aren't. I've had good sales in the UK, Germany, Canada & Australia as well as in the US. I don't know anyone outside the US. I've also had reviews from people I don't know.

3. I was talking to him about the $4k up front and was trying to say how I thought it was a shady practice for a publisher to ask for money upfront instead of taking from the first sales. He interrupted and told me he wouldn't sign any writer on that thought his company was shady and was telling me he would drop me if I signed on.

4. He said, oh well, your from Texas. (Like that's a bad thing.) Note: I've only lived in Texas the last 3 years. Originally from Washington state & Colorado. Like this matters... But, still, he was trying to tear me down.. Ummm. They are in Mustang OK!!!!!

5. I told him I just submitted to several publishers and some said they won't even look at my books for 3-6 months. His offer is only good for 10 days. He told me he could extend the offer for 30 days. This was nice, but not really helpful as it won't allow time to receive other offers.

Anyway, my husband & I have done enough research to know that I am officially passing on their offer.

Thanks to everyone who has given me input on this matter. I hope this will help others in their search for a publisher.

Good luck!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Good on you, Jill.

He sounds like a twat.