Zombie Zombie question

Anyone else find this book very disturbing?
Michelle Michelle Mar 20, 2013 02:45PM
I am a huge JCO fan and have read a lot of her earlier work. But this book was sooooo creepy!!! It stuck with me...I couldn't get it out of my head. I can't get past the creepiness to decide if it's really good or not.

Thoughts?

Yes, most definitely...It was a good read but I felt strange for days afterwards...very creepy!

This was my first Oates book and I'm thinking maybe that's not such a good thing. The book seemed masterful on some levels, but -- or perhaps just and -- it totally creeped me out. I found myself thinking, I don't think I'd want to find myself alone in a room with this Oates woman. *gulp*

Because of what I'd heard, I expected the descriptions of the protagonist's crimes to be a bit creepier than they were. But his comments about his motives and general attitude really got to me sometimes, especially when he was talking about the kid he called "Squirrel." That was the creepiest part for me.

I am generally an Oates fan, although she can be very dark. This one though, I did not like. Just too...yuck.