Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Predation
This topic is about Predation
Book Issues > Fix Author name on submitted books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Parkinson (sj_parkinson) | 9 comments Good Day,

I have three novels on Goodreads at the moment.

The Legionnaire: Origins
The Legionnaire: Mask of the Pharaoh
Predation

I just discovered that on two of those novels my name is entered in your system incorrectly.

The name I use for writing is SJ Parkinson (No dots) and not S.J. Parkinson as shown on two of the novels above. Can you
please change the author name to be consistent and ensure all three are under my author page.

Thanks in advance.

SJ Parkinson

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Goodreads convention is to use periods after initials, S.J. Parkinson is correct. I have edited the books for constancy though!

message 3: by Roberta (last edited Mar 20, 2013 04:22PM) (new)

Roberta  | 83 comments In the Librarians Manual it is just flat-out stated that initials are capitalized and have periods after them. It is not a "convention" because a convention is only the way something is usually done. If we are never allowed to do otherwise, it must be at least a "rule."

message 4: by Duane (new)

Duane Herdman (drherdman) | 1 comments If the author wants his/her name a certain way, that way should be the correct spelling.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) We don't make the rules, we just follow 'em.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
As we expect all librarians to do.

message 7: by Vicky (last edited Mar 20, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Robin wrote: "In the Librarians Manual it is just flat-out stated that initials are capitalized and have periods after them. It is not a "convention" because a convention is only the way something is usually don..."

Are we really nitpicking my use of the word convention? I feel like that's irrelevant to the issue.

But see Merriam-Webster:

1 d : a general agreement about basic principles or procedures; also : a principle or procedure accepted as true or correct by convention

3 b : a rule of conduct or behavior

3 d : an established technique, practice, or device

Pretty sure those all apply here.