Saturday Saturday discussion

Well...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Uranga (new)

Uranga How's this book coming along?

message 2: by Anuar (last edited Jun 14, 2008 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anuar Kassim finishd it but didn't really like it that much though. Reading "the name of the rose" at the moment

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I quit reading 'Saturday' about 40 pages into it; found it to be really bland. I liked McEwan's 'Amsterdam' - the plot was lean and mean and the first scene got you right into it. 'Saturday' just drifts, and the characters aren't interesting enough to sustain attention when there is no plot.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick I tried to read it last year but gave up halfway through. However I've recently decided to give it a second chance.

Henry Perowne thinks too much! If only it was based on his son's Saturday.

Anuar Kassim Haha.... cute. There was only one part of the book that made my heart raced furiously... but that was all that I got in from the book :)

Melissa I was disapointed. Someone called it the best book of 2007 (2006?).

Malvolio I just finished this book. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I really liked the flow of the writing. I was really enjoying the subtlety about the War protest. It seemed like a tale about apathy, and denial. It was coming along well for me, but then Mr. McEwan flipped the script, and just didn't carry water anymore. I'm not going to spoil anything in my review. It was a good read, but a letdown ultimately.

Nikki I thought the opposite, Malvolio, really. Granted, the developments later in the book weren't as plausible as the rest of the book, but the rest of the book was too plausible, too realistic, and therefore... boring.

Barbara I loved this book. It is political, so if you find that kind of thing boring, then you might not like it. However, McEwen's insight into Mr. Perowne's day kept me reading to the very end, and if the first half of the book was a little slow, the last 100 pages raced by. Perhaps certain aspects of the twist in the second part of the story were a bit contrived, but it was a great read. This is the only McEwen I've read. I saw the movie Atonement and thought it was a brilliant plot strategy. I'd like to read the book to see how it matches up.

Jennie Fields I agree with Barbara. I loved this book. It's exquisitely written, a portrait of an upper-middle class man and his privileged life contrasted with a have-not who threatens everything in that life. All in one day. A tour-de-force. And I didn't think it boring at all.

message 11: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Wonderful read. Exquisite prose, rounded, complex characters. What's not to love?

Sharon I like his books very much but remember Saturday as truly one of the very best. Loved it....

message 13: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Of all his books I truly love 'Black DOgs' - superb pschological study - gripping, absolutely mesmerising!

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen The first McEwan I read and I loved it. I loved the detail and the language most of all. I really did feel I was there. Raced out to get Atonement, not as good, but still an excellent read (the film sucked - keira knightley just dismal as usual). Then came Chesil Beach - this one I struggled to finish and when I did I vowed not to read McEwan again.

message 15: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Jen, I had a similar position on McEwan until I read 'Black Dogs' then I was hooked. Don't give up - it's worth the effort!

Sydney Jamesson Ian McEwan is a master craftsman and a wordsmith; he writes like no other and has an understated gift for detail and character development. Solar is one of the funniest books I have ever read - even though it's not intended to be comedic in the traditional sense. I nearly wet myself reading the snow ski scene. Oh to be able to write like that ... one can but try. Sydney Jamesson.

Sharon Sydney wrote: "Ian McEwan is a master craftsman and a wordsmith; he writes like no other and has an understated gift for detail and character development. Solar is one of the funniest books I have ever read - eve..."

Agree. Have Sweet Tooth to look forward too.

Mohammad Abu Shaban Really loved how the title of the novel reflects on the current phase of Henry Perowne's life at the end of his own "Saturday", right before the start of the final chapter: the "Sunday".