Under a Flaming Sky: The Great Hinckley Firestorm of 1894 Under a Flaming Sky discussion

Hi Folks, I wrote this book...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Brown ...and I just came across this site and all these wonderful comments. Thanks so much!

I'd be glad to answer any questions about the book or the Hinckley Fire or about my new book if you care to post them here....

Thanks,
DJB

Roxanne Your second book on the Donner Party deserves the Nobel Prize. This is a truly amazing book and I am looking forward to reading this book. Your writing is deceptively simple, however it is eloquent in content. Your research and the way you presented the facts is ingenious - I use the term ingenious rather than genious on purpose. You are a writer who doesn't try to impress - you are the read deal. Thank you SO MUCH for your hard work and humility when writing this book. It almost seems as if the book was written "through" you rather than "from" you. Does that make sense?
Thank you.
Roxanne Cummings-Basey in Lake Oswego, Oregon

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Brown Roxanne wrote: "Your second book on the Donner Party deserves the Nobel Prize. This is a truly amazing book and I am looking forward to reading this book. Your writing is deceptively simple, however it is eloquent..."

Thanks, Roxanne, for your kind words about the book. And yes, I do understand what you mean by "written through you." There were times when I really felt a kind of spiritual connection with Sarah Graves and I very much felt impelled to tell her story in a way that would do justice to her suffering and her courage. At any rate, if you get a chance, come on down to Powell's in Portland on June 25 for my reading, and I can meet you and sign your book....

Caitlin O'Sullivan Hi Daniel!
I'm just starting "Under a Flaming Sky," and like Roxanne, I'm impressed by the way you've brought the eyewitness accounts to life. I'm curious: you've written with such compassion for the people of Hinckley, were there times when it became difficult for you to write, emotionally?
Caitlin
Mankato, Minnesota

Tracy Daniel,

I just found this thread and I read your book in 2009. You brought to life something I had no idea existed, let alone the scale of destruction. I also enjoyed the weather forecasting aspect of the book.

Thank you for documenting this story and bringing the heroes back to life.

Tracy
Clinton Twp, Mi

Karen Hi Daniel,

I originally read Under the Flamming Sky from the library, I loved it and had to own a copy. I'm a big fan of disaster books and yours is one of the best I've ever read. Books like yours give me a real appreciation for how good my life really is, despite the many hardships I've had to endure.

Thanks again for the incredible read!
Karen Harwood