A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) A Dance with Dragons discussion

What about Arya? Thoughts...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Marie Arya is my favorite (besides Jon). I enjoy her character. She is clever and determined. I read her chapters and think she will be something great and a very serious part of this Game. I keep thinking that maybe she'll end up bumping into Dany, not sure how but I think it will happen. I wish the books would give more chapters. Feast of Crows I found a tad draggy because i would have to seat with a 100 pages of Cersei and Sansa to get like 5 pages of Arya. I also want Arya to find her wolf Nymeria or warg already or both. GRRM please hurry with books 6 & 7.

Trish Something made me think that Gendry would be a bigger part of her story, but he's gone off the radar, more or less.

I agree that Arya has something big ahead of her, or I hope so.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Arya is probably my favorite character,followed by Jon Snow.I think she has learned a lot and proven herself capable.Arya is very determined and smart.

Bryan Arya is rad! People have complained about her not doing enough in her chapters, but I've found the whole "little girl learning to be an assassin" storyline pretty fascinating. Also, I really doubt GRRM would go through the entire training scenario just to have her do nothing with her newfound skills, or get killed as soon as she gets back to Westeros or something. His plotting is more compelling than that.

Also, to any who may be interested, my profile pic is one taken this past Christmas of myself and my daughter Arya.

message 5: by Josh (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh this is purely speculation as i don't think there is anything in the texts to indicate the following, but i believe that arya is going to be hired to kill someone either, that she knows or at least is another viewpoint character. i keep thinking that she will be sent after jon snow (i don't believe he's dead yet) and there will be some sort of poetic elegance there as she sticks him with the pointy end.

just a thought.

Marie Trish wrote: "Something made me think that Gendry would be a bigger part of her story, but he's gone off the radar, more or less.

I agree that Arya has something big ahead of her, or I hope so."

I thought so too. maybe later... I hope. I thought she liked him. it could be an interesting ending maybe somehow he will be legitimized to be a Bartheon & would unite the houses.. maybe,, who knows

Marie Josh wrote: "this is purely speculation as i don't think there is anything in the texts to indicate the following, but i believe that arya is going to be hired to kill someone either, that she knows or at least..."

Hmm I think so to about her being sent to kill someone. I hope it is not Jon Snow. No way. But she will get someone if not several people with the pointy end. I;m not sure if everyone here read all the books yet or at least book 3, I would hope so since this thread is on Dance of Dragons but I always thought Arya would be the one to stick Joff with Needles. My dream was crushed.

message 8: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted I think Arya will save Jon's life sometime late in the series. It will be interesting to see how GRRM handles her character. Do we lose sight of her for a while once she's an assassin, a new character appears and murders someone and we discover afterward that it has been her all along? Or do we continue seeing her POV and building tension that way? Clearly she will kill someone important or GRRM wouldn't have had a child train up as an assassin. She's one of my favourites. We'll have to wait and see.

Mitali Marie wrote: "Feast of Crows I found a tad draggy because i would have to seat with a 100 pages of Cersei and Sansa to get like 5 pages of Arya."

Um, what? Arya has the same number of chapters in A Feast for Crows as Sansa - 3 chapters each. Arya also appears in one of Sam's chapters (a nice way to check up on her, I thought).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I telling you the girl's got game.

Mario Arya will do what she is praying for. Kill Cersei Lannister.

message 12: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh but arya doesn't exist anymore.

unless she goes rogue she is entirely at the service, and mercy, of the house of black and white. she would be obligated to fulfil any killing, and only said killings, with which she is explicitly tasked.

the only way she will kill cersei is if that service is purchased. and what would the price be on that contract i wonder?

message 13: by ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

ryan Arya is one of my favorite characters of the whole series. i think she is going to go rogue because she is already holding information back. In the end, i think, she will be the most deadly character of the series and a counterpoint to the mountain that moves.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I could she could definitely go rogue.She has already expressed interest in bow shooting.So she'll have distance weapons as well as melee.Her mind is made up as to who deserves to die.And let's be honest,what she has learned she's learned from the best.

message 15: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh I have to admit i do assume she will be going rogue at some point. though it seems as if she is learning humility and discipline at the house of black and white, there is that strong will of hers that makes me wonder. why have her get this far just to have arya's story end completely with no resolution? two things make me think there is something else for arya besides being a hired assassin:

1. needle is still hidden, she's maintained that last small part of her past and her desire for vengeance.
2. nymeria is still alive in the riverlands. i can only assume some sort of reunion at some point both with westeros and her direwolf.

i wonder how they handle rogue agents. i tend to think that jaqen may be a rogue agent, or else on a remarkably complex contract. i wonder if they will meet again at some point. or if she will be hired to take him out?

message 16: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Josh wrote: "I have to admit i do assume she will be going rogue at some point. though it seems as if she is learning humility and discipline at the house of black and white, there is that strong will of hers t..."

Good point Josh. Perhaps Arya being tasked to kill Jaqen will be the reason she goes rogue (aside from the whole 'you kill my father, prepare to die' thing).

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

That is interesting,will she kill,or will she ignore?

infael I think it'll be the commitment that'll cause Arya to go rogue. I mean, she'll probably be required to work as an assassin til she dies. That just won't work for her.

Kevin Marie wrote: "Josh wrote: "this is purely speculation as i don't think there is anything in the texts to indicate the following, but i believe that arya is going to be hired to kill someone either, that she know..."

At least he's gone!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

infael wrote: "I think it'll be the commitment that'll cause Arya to go rogue. I mean, she'll probably be required to work as an assassin til she dies. That just won't work for her."
You're probably right,this way she won't be bound.

message 21: by Ted (last edited Mar 31, 2013 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted And at some point she will tire of killing randomly-assigned targets and wish to start killing the surviving names on her prayer list. Perhaps she will return to Westeros at roughly the same time Sam has forged his maester chains?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe they could team up.

Denise4925 Josh wrote: "this is purely speculation as i don't think there is anything in the texts to indicate the following, but i believe that arya is going to be hired to kill someone either, that she knows or at least..."
I don't think GRRM kills off his POV characters. Name one he has killed off. If they do die, they come back, which is why I don't think that Jon is dead.

Denise4925 Josh wrote: "but arya doesn't exist anymore.

unless she goes rogue she is entirely at the service, and mercy, of the house of black and white. she would be obligated to fulfil any killing, and only said killi..."

I think she's just using them and playing along, learning as she goes.

Denise4925 Josh wrote: "I have to admit i do assume she will be going rogue at some point. though it seems as if she is learning humility and discipline at the house of black and white, there is that strong will of hers t..."

I've been wanting her to meet up with Jaqen again and see what will happen.

message 26: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh Denise4925 wrote: "I don't think GRRM kills off his POV characters. Name one he has killed off."

ned and catelyn spring to mind instantly. ned was beheaded; catelyn though returned from the dead through magic is no longer truly the same person, nor is she a POV character.

quentyn martell also was killed off, burned to death.

arys oakheart was killed as well.

also, i even said in that post that i don't believe he is dead.

Denise4925 Ned is the only exception.

Catelyn is not really dead. She was brought back to life, just like Dondarian. We don't know if she's the same person or whether she will have a POV chapter in the new books.

I'm only speaking of major POV characters. Arys and Quentyn are minor POV characters.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

(Spoiler)I would almost agree with Denise,but Robb is dead and he was a major contributor.But like Denise,I don't think Jon dies.

P.S. We're talking about the books and I know some people who are just following the shows.

Denise4925 Charlton wrote: "I would almost agree with Denise,but Robb is dead and he was a major contributor."

No Charlton, Robb wasn't a POV character.

Darth J I always liked Arya, and I like her arc as well. She's feisty as hell and I hope the author doesn't kill her off.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Arya is my favorite,very tomboyish,yet her mind is set,if not hardheaded and she is always learning and improving.I would like to see her become skilled with a bow in the future.

Eyehavenofilter I wanted more Arya as well. She and Tyrion are the center of the story for me. I can't put my finger on why I feel that way. I just do.
Arya is the female lead, and Tyrion is the male lead, not in the sense of being together, but even GRRM has said that Tyrion is his favorite child.
The way he writes about Arya it seems he feels the same way about her as well, there is a certain tenderness there.

Claire_D I hope Arya ends up getting the throne :-)

message 34: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon

I'm not trying to imply anything. I just like that pic :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

As much as I like Arya,I don't think she has a head for diplomacy just raw instinct.

Good picture by the way.

Eyehavenofilter Arya will be hand of the king! That's my vote.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed! Everyone needs some type of Secret Service.

Jdude81 I wonder when and how she will be reunited with Nymeria!?!?! I also wonder how the fact that she, Bran, and Jon now will come into play being wargs and if they may not some how team up with Deaenerys targaryan to better control/tame her dragons... 3 wargs/3 dragons? hmmmm... I hope the next book isn't too long in coming out!

Natalie Anyone notice that when someone's favorite character is Arya, they also love Jon (or vice versa)? Anyways, I think she might somehow meet Dany, maybe by being hired to kill someone? Also, I really think she will be reunited with Nymeria. GRRM left Nymeria alive for a reason (I hope.)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I could see the possibility of her uniting with Danerys.

message 41: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh i really don't see her aligning with anyone else in the series. she has grown up alone and has learned to fend for herself. she has quite literally taken charge of her own destiny, a destiny that until very recently involved deeply personal murder and retribution.

she is headstrong, driven and she is self-sufficient emotionally. she also has little care for authority or the kingdom of westeros.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that might be what she has in common with Danerys.

Jdude81 I can def see her aligning with Danerys... And I just can't help but feel there are 3 wargs in this story who have been totally pooed on by westeros and 3 wild dragons that belong to Danerys... Am I a complete loon or has anyone else thought about this possible connection?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Your right,the wargs got the raw end of the deal.As the dragons mature more attention is turned towards them.There definitely seems to be a connection.

Mitali Jdude81 wrote: "And I just can't help but feel there are 3 wargs in this story who have been totally pooed on by westeros and 3 wild dragons that belong to Danerys"

Not 3 wargs but 4 - everyone always forgets poor Rickon.

Jdude81 Has Rickon shown any signs of being a warg other than just having a wolf?

Mitali Yes, he controls Shaggydog just like Bran controls Summer. It's strongly implied in ACoK.

message 48: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh i think it's fairly safe to assume all the stark children are wargs. sansa probably lost lady before she was able to explore that connection.

Jdude81 Mitali wrote: "Yes, he controls Shaggydog just like Bran controls Summer. It's strongly implied in ACoK."

Do you know about where in ACoK this is implied? I'm not doubting you, I just want to go back and reread that part, cause I must have missed it... It seemed to me that Robb/Sansa/Rickon only ever had smart, well trained wolves. I don't really remember much about Robb or Rickon showing signs of being able to actually project themselves into their respective direwolves... But I never cared much for Robb or Rickons characters as they never seemed as though they would ever be main players.

Mitali Jdude81 wrote: "Mitali wrote: "Yes, he controls Shaggydog just like Bran controls Summer. It's strongly implied in ACoK."

Do you know about where in ACoK this is implied? I'm not doubting you, I just want to go ..."

I don't think it's in any specific place. It was basically an impression I got every time Rickon and/or Shaggydog were on the scene. They both seem to almost share a personality - i.e. fierce and uncontrollable - that it seems that they both are essentially one person in two bodies.

Of course, with the information we have, it's probably impossible to tell for certain whether or not Rickon really is a warg, as unlike Bran, Arya and Jon, he doesn't have a POV. But my personal assumption (and I know that people may disagree with me on this) is that all the Stark children were potential wargs, with Bran being the one who most consciously developed his ability. Sansa, obviously, can no longer be one, as Lady is dead. Robb might have been one - but like Rickon, we don't get his POV, so we can't say for sure. The way Grey Wind is described behaving in battle, it does seem like Robb managed to subconsciously control him, but didn't really understand what he was doing. Remember that Jon too isn't consciously aware that he is a warg - and that's despite personally knowing skinchangers among the wildlings. Robb may have been the same way, especially since, as far as he knew, being a warg was something out of myths, not a real thing.

« previous 1