100 Books Challenge discussion

How do you source or get your books?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Just out of interest how do you all get your books?
For example do you buy, borrow and if so where or who from or do you buy online, use ereaders or second hand shops?

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise I'm a hoarder so unless I *know* it's a book I don't have that much interest in and only want to read once I like to buy, and I like to buy in brick and mortar shops. Otherwise I borrow from the library. Oddly I browse a lot and am always impulse buying in bookshops, but only go to the library for specific books that I've been recommended/looked up (and those I always reserve in advance), never go in just to browse - the shelving is just too ugly and depressing.

I don't own an ereader and have no intention of owning one until/if I do any travelling so it's all physical books for me as well.

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Ah well long ago I was a librarian so I have a soft spot for them.
Like you though I am or was a hoarder and own about 3500 books hence the shelves overflowing and I have run out of room (3 kids too and they have books).
My husband bought me a sony ereader a few years ago but I could not get used to it. It was too heavy, too expensive to buy books and needed computer expertise.
Last year however he got me a kindle and I love it. It is small, light and simple to use and download plus you can get loads of free classics and cheap books. Most newly released hardbacks are lots cheaper in kindle format. Plus I get to share some with my daughter and my hubby on the same account but different readers.
I do like dead tree books but space is an issue and so is price. Second hand books are ok but often are tatty and smelly.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise It's not so much that I don't like libraries (I'd love to be a librarian!) but that I don't like my library. It's not bad, but it has no feels to it.

The childrens/teen section is alright for a browse, but the rest of the place feels kinda soulless. All metal shelves arranged in that annoying zigzag way for maximum bumping into other people as you browse. I just want to find my book and get out of there as quick as I can.

No second hand bookshops left where I am either apart from the charity one that only ever has 90s chick-lit. I always do a little explore of them when I'm in Oxford but I normally tend to buy books new. Will wait for paperbacks normally though. Hardbacks are a pain to carry around in my bag.

message 5: by Frozenwaffle (new)

Frozenwaffle Bev wrote: "I do like dead tree books but space is an issue and so is price. Second hand books are ok but often are tatty and smelly. "

I agree! I'm also a kindle owner and very happy with it. As a college student/part time worker, money is really tight and I can't afford buying all the books I need to keep my mind fed.

In the beginning I felt like I was cheating my love of paper books, but really there is enough room in my heart for both. <3

I keep a list of the books I enjoyed so I can buy them when I can or ask for them as B-day/Xmas gifts.

message 6: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Frozenwaffle wrote: "Bev wrote: "I do like dead tree books but space is an issue and so is price. Second hand books are ok but often are tatty and smelly. "

I agree! I'm also a kindle owner and very happy with it. As ..."

As a mum of 3 I cant always buy what I want any more or I feel guilty :(

message 7: by Martha (last edited Mar 20, 2013 05:19AM) (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 857 comments Mod
I have at least 1000 books in my small house. I also have a Kindle and love it. Got a Kobo Touch, too, as my husband will occasionally read a book on one of the ereaders. We both prefer DTBs, but the larger ones are so hard to hold. The ereaders are so handy to take when we camp and it's raining out which keeps us inside reading. :-) I am getting back to using the library some, but always feel guilty about not reading and purging books here. I donate the ones I don't plan to keep or trade at the local used book store or on paperbackswap.com. Most of the books I get are in decent shape.

message 8: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "I have at least 1000 books in my small house. I also have a Kindle and love it. Got a Kobo Touch, too, as my husband will occasionally read a book on one of the ereaders. We both prefer DTBs, but t..."
One of my pet hates is buying a second hand book online in supposed good condition only to find it dropping to bits. I have had books over 20 years that are in better condition.

message 9: by Martha (new)

I know what you mean. I'm ok with a little wear, but not with smelly, ratty ones. One person did message me to tell me that while the book I requested technically met PBS's standards, it had a lot of wear on it. I really wanted this book so had her send it, but will not put it back in the system. Most of the books I send are in new or like new condition. I got one this week that has to be brand new. I don't believe it's been read. That's such a treat! :-)

message 10: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Martha wrote: "I know what you mean. I'm ok with a little wear, but not with smelly, ratty ones. One person did message me to tell me that while the book I requested technically met PBS's standards, it had a lot ..."

I dont mind a bit of wear on old out of print paperbacks but some people will sell any old rubbish.

message 11: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
I do a bit of everything really. I love to buy new from a range of places, my favourite being the local bookshop but I also do a bit of online shopping and occasionally buy a book from ASDA. I also buy quite a bit in charity shops, but only ones in really good condition and for a reasonable price. I find a lot of charity shops charge so much that I can't believe it. I know it is charity and all that but they got the items for nothing, they can't expect to get £3 for a paperback which is used and cost £5.99 new.

I am also a big library user, but trying to make a dent in my owned books so haven't visited lately. I tend to go there for group reads if I don't own them.

message 12: by Bev (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Yes charity shops are often overpriced gone are the days when you could pick up good books for 10p.
Although mu local coffee shop has set up a book exchange where you can get a book for 25 - 50p.

message 13: by Nicolle (new)

Oh how fantastic. I wish I had a coffee shop around here like that!

message 14: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments It has not been here long but it is very convenient. They just leave piles of books on the window sill and ask for donations of books or small coins. Money goes to charity.

message 15: by Nicolle (new)

All cafes should do that.

message 16: by Martha (new)

No kidding! Our library used to have a giveaway cart. Bring in a book and trade. Maybe we need to start that up again ... although we sell some pretty cheaply ... 25-50 cents.

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) | 36 comments Source of Books:
Mules swallow the books, are given airline tickets... then fly over the boarder... past customs to the final destination. They come from as faraway as South America and China. The books are laundered and sold through Amazon.com and B&N's all across the country.

message 18: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 137 comments Joseph (Millennium Man) wrote: "Source of Books:
Mules swallow the books, are given airline tickets... then fly over the boarder... past customs to the final destination. They come from as faraway as South America and China. The..."

Oh Joseph.... chuckle

message 19: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (last edited Mar 27, 2013 01:49AM) (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
Library for sure! Although I now have a library set up in my house! I would love to own my own used bookstore someday! I don't buy books unless I LOVE the author...OR it's a book that is hyped up!

message 20: by Teri-lynn, bOoKaHoLiC (new)

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) | 184 comments Mod
sooo excited!!! just got home from yhe library with some books for my holidays!!! I only got 5 so it wont keep me reading the whole time but not to worry I have my kobo as well!!!