Ask Andrew Gross - Wednesday, April 3rd! discussion

Ask Andrew!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margo (last edited Mar 20, 2013 09:47AM) (new)

Margo (maothrockmorton) | 1 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Andrew will be answering questions on Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for Andrew or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie  | 1 comments I can't wait for your new book to come out. Thank you and Amazon for letting preorder it a discount. Your books keep me on the edge of my seat. Always a page turner!

message 3: by Merle (new)

Merle | 1 comments Hi Andy! I cant wait for my copy of No Way Back to arrive! As you know, I've read the first thirty pages and I know that this will be another thriller of a read! Several of your books include real life events and i'm wondering if there are any in No Way Back?

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (trayzee67) | 2 comments Hi Andrew,Gidday from Down Under! I have to admit I was introduced to ur writing with J Patterson.and SEveral others. I loved "The Blue Zone" and am about to start"RECKLESS". Im just curious what is it like to co author a book, do you make storylines and other co writer does the same? How does a collaboration like this work? Thank you Andrew and keep on writing those books.I love what I have read so far. Best wishes from Down Under!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 1 comments Hello. Love your books, thanks for the great edge of your seat entertainment.
I was just curious what kinds of things do you like to research for your stories?

message 6: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (roy99) | 2 comments I was going to pre-order No Way Back, but decided to wait & get it tomorrow so I can begin reading before hearing you speak at Cocoa Beach Library if you're still going to be there this coming Friday, 4-5-13. BTW, thanks for sharing the first chapter with us to get us started. If I order, it may not arrive in time so count me as another sale. Like Tracy, I began reading your work with you writing with Patterson and have read them all. You are definitely an awesome writer "on your own." Keep keeping on--look forward to every new book!

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 1 comments Hi Andrew, I'm a fan from way back when Harper Collins offered the "First Look" in novels when I read and reviewed your first solo novel The Blue Zone and was lucky enough to get The Dark Tide where you introduce us to your cop Ty and I've been hooked ever since. I can't wait to read your latest. Thanks for joining us for a chat here.
deb

message 8: by Carly (new)

Carly (carlybrown) Hi Andrew and fellow group members! I'd like to know which of your characters (any novel) did you love/enjoy writing about the most (or is that a bit like asking which of your children is your favourite?!)?

Thank you for joining us!

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon Currie | 1 comments Hello Andrew, firstly I want to thank you for all the great books so far. What I would like to know is if you have any plans to write any more Ty Hauck books?

Thanks

message 10: by Dina (new)

Dina Santorelli (dinasantorelli) | 1 comments Hey, Andrew! I am both a thriller reader and author. I became a fan of the genre about twenty years ago, when I was commuting back and forth from Queens to Manhattan, devouring novels written by Michael Crichton, James Patterson, and John Grisham, among others, while riding the subway. Now I write thrillers as well as read them. My question is this: WHY do you write thrillers? Why are you drawn to this genre instead of, say, sci-fi or romance or fantasy? I am asked this ALL the time, and my answer is usually something like this: "It's like asking me why I like vanilla ice cream instead of chocolate. Vanilla is just something that appeals to me. Just like thriller writing." I'm thinking maybe you have a better answer. :) Thank you for taking the time to visit here. All the best to you! --Dina

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Williams (amanda1972) I'm a newbe reader of your books and i have only read the one book so far which is the dark tide. It was an excellent read and I loved it. I noticed that there are 3 books with Ty Hauck in it. Are you planning on doing anymore to follow in this series?

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob Nielsen | 1 comments Andrew;

What is your writing process. Do you write a few pages a day, an entire chapter? How long does it typically take to write a novel?

message 13: by Ron (new)

Ron McManus | 1 comments I read your recent Facebook post regarding the acquisition of Goodreads by Amazon. As a NYT best-selling author, how do you see the publishing industry changing over the next 5-10 years? Do you believe the traditional publishing model will change, and if so, how? The author seems to be the one being squeezed while agents and publishers protect their profit margin.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Merle wrote: "Hi Andy! I cant wait for my copy of No Way Back to arrive! As you know, I've read the first thirty pages and I know that this will be another thriller of a read! Several of your books include real..."

Hey Merle. I do see u everywhere ont I? Looking forward to your read on NWB!

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Lisa wrote: "Hello. Love your books, thanks for the great edge of your seat entertainment.
I was just curious what kinds of things do you like to research for your stories?"

Thx Lisa. Let me know your thoughts. Should be hard to ditch once u start!

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Amanda wrote: "I'm a newbe reader of your books and i have only read the one book so far which is the dark tide. It was an excellent read and I loved it. I noticed that there are 3 books with Ty Hauck in it. Are ..."

I wrote in a separate post Amanda, he's cozy ing up to Naomi on some Carrbiean beach somewhere. I'd like to find a new book for him, and Zi will. But right now my pub keeps pushing these stand alones. Keep pushing neon arty trust me, I like him as much as you!

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Bob wrote: "Andrew;

What is your writing process. Do you write a few pages a day, an entire chapter? How long does it typically take to write a novel?"

I outline heavily, Bon, and my standard book is 80-90 chapters, say, three to five pages each. So I try to write a new chapter each day, six days a week. Then next morning I loop back and work on yesterday's chapter. Sometimes takes three, six, ten times to feel I've got it right.

Of course, things like book tours, which I'm starting this morning, have a way of interfering with that.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Andrew wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I'm a newbe reader of your books and i have only read the one book so far which is the dark tide. It was an excellent read and I loved it. I noticed that there are 3 books with Ty Ha..."

By the way, I love the dark tide, ESP Karen, but I promise you'll like No way Back just as much or more. And Blue Zone, no one ever said that wasn't a gripping read!

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Andrew wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hello. Love your books, thanks for the great edge of your seat entertainment.
I was just curious what kinds of things do you like to research for your stories?"

Thx Lisa. Let me know ..."

Ah research. As you know, I go for pace! Learned it from Patterson. I try and research enough to make my scenes believable and credible, but not so much that I'm providing information or hoeing off, which slows everything down. I do do location research, but more of my factual stuff is reading books on the subject or online. No way back has a lot of drug related stuff in it. Mostly gotten from articles and books. Not sure I want to go to jaurez myself right now!

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Got to scoot for now. Gate change!!! Catch up later.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Willms (michellewillms) Hi, Andrew. I love your work. I am curious about how you maintain consistency throughout your novels. Do you keep some kind of informational directory for each novel or do you rely on the proofreading or editorial process to catch any errors that you may have made? (I'm not sure if I've written this clearly enough for you to understand - I apologize for my "haziness.")

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (behindgreeneyes) | 1 comments Hi Andrew, I don't have a question, I just wanted to say I've only recently started reading your books and I've loved every one so far, looking forward to the new one!

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Sharon wrote: "Hi Andrew, I don't have a question, I just wanted to say I've only recently started reading your books and I've loved every one so far, looking forward to the new one!"

Thanks Sharon. That works for me!

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments I think I rely on my copy editors and fact checkers for that. But certain errors always creep thru. It seems every time I shoot off a gun in a book, I goof on something. Always have gun owners writing in to vet. And once I called the Kansas State football colors blue and white instead of purple and white. Got more responses on that one than there are people in Kansas!

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Ron wrote: "I read your recent Facebook post regarding the acquisition of Goodreads by Amazon. As a NYT best-selling author, how do you see the publishing industry changing over the next 5-10 years? Do you bel..."

Such an involved question Ron. It's changing by the day. The goodreads/amazon deal is an example of how fluid it all is. Let's just say, we push digital sales these days as much as print sales. And it's harder to market. Everyoneandvtheir brother is pushing a thriller online. If you're a branded author, and I'm probably in the lower rung of that, digital is accretive. In the lowest rung, it's everything. But for the vast majority of authors in the middle, I think thevmarket shifts have created alot of havoc in their lives.

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Kenny wrote: "Hi Andrew,

Good afternoon. And thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to answer questions from your loyal readers and fans here at Good Reads. I would like to ask the following thre..."

Hey Kenny, yes I write thrillers, whose main object is to create suspense, not justt solve a puzzle. And books that are generally trying to stop something from happening, something future oriented, rather than solve a crime. And yes, I think thrillers are the most relevant form of fiction today, as they best reflect the issues and crises affecting the world. Said that last night at mynNO WAY BACK debut at Barnes and Nobles in NY.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Jackie wrote: "I can't wait for your new book to come out. Thank you and Amazon for letting preorder it a discount. Your books keep me on the edge of my seat. Always a page turner!"

Very welcome Jackie. Lovevtonhear your reaction.

message 28: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Ramona wrote: "I was going to pre-order No Way Back, but decided to wait & get it tomorrow so I can begin reading before hearing you speak at Cocoa Beach Library if you're still going to be there this coming Frid..."

That's so nice Ramona. Try and pick one up so I can autograph it. See u there! ( Costco, SAMs, BN, etc.)

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Debbie wrote: "Hi Andrew, I'm a fan from way back when Harper Collins offered the "First Look" in novels when I read and reviewed your first solo novel The Blue Zone and was lucky enough to get The Dark Tide wher..."

Thank you Debbie. Love those early ones myself, even have just completed a BZ screenplay, but I think you'll find No Way Back richer and more intricately plotted. Hopefully! Thanks for being here.

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Carly wrote: "Hi Andrew and fellow group members! I'd like to know which of your characters (any novel) did you love/enjoy writing about the most (or is that a bit like asking which of your children is your favo..."

It's a good question, but it really is the latter Carly. There are things I like it all of them. I would say that the Blue Zone and EyesvWide Open are the strongest books for me emotionally. And Dark Tide had my favorite character. Karen. But I would say that this new one is my best. So there!

message 31: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 1 comments Hi Andrew,just like Sharon I've recently started reading your books and I loved every one.
What I wanted to say was that I once had an art teacher that used to say that a work of art (a book, a painting, etc.) is never truly finished, there's always something else you could do to it. Do you agree?

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Williams (amanda1972) Andrew wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I'm a newbe reader of your books and i have only read the one book so far which is the dark tide. It was an excellent read and I loved it. I noticed that there are 3 b..."

Thank-you for answering my question. I will be working my way though all your books :)

message 33: by Carly (new)

Carly (carlybrown) Andrew wrote: "Carly wrote: "Hi Andrew and fellow group members! I'd like to know which of your characters (any novel) did you love/enjoy writing about the most (or is that a bit like asking which of your childre..."

Thanks Andrew! Must agree that Blue Zone had me fully emotionally invested from page one. Can't wait to read No Way Back! :)

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Ashlee wrote: "Hi Andrew,just like Sharon I've recently started reading your books and I loved every one.
What I wanted to say was that I once had an art teacher that used to say that a work of art (a book, a pa..."

Ashlee wrote: "Hi Andrew,just like Sharon I've recently started reading your books and I loved every one.
What I wanted to say was that I once had an art teacher that used to say that a work of art (a book, a pa..."

Hi Ashlee,

There may be always more u could do to it, but when a book has to be out once a year, you better know how to get it done and turn it over! I honestly don't worry about books once they leave my desk. They're the readers problems then!

message 35: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Tracy wrote: "Hi Andrew,Gidday from Down Under! I have to admit I was introduced to ur writing with J Patterson.and SEveral others. I loved "The Blue Zone" and am about to start"RECKLESS". Im just curious what i..."

Hey Tracey. G'day back. One of my favorite places. Check out 15 Seconds and no way Back. I bet u love em more! Cheers

message 36: by Dana (new)

Dana | 2 comments Oh no I almost forgot about this! Hi Andy!! Dana from Alabama... My question is: Does Ty look more like Channing Tatum, Josh Duhamel or Tom Cruise ;) From your biggest fan in the South!

message 37: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gross | 19 comments Dennis Quaid.
Ten years ago.
Hey Dana!

message 38: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (roy99) | 2 comments Good choice for Ty. Still enjoy watching Dennis Quaid acting.

Picked up No Way Back yesterday at B&N--started today & loving it!

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (trayzee67) | 2 comments Andrew wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Hi Andrew,Gidday from Down Under! I have to admit I was introduced to ur writing with J Patterson.and SEveral others. I loved "The Blue Zone" and am about to start"RECKLESS". Im just ..."

Can't wait to read youre 2 suggested books, thanks Andrew.

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana | 2 comments Andrew wrote: "Dennis Quaid.
Ten years ago.
Hey Dana!"

That's a good one!!! :) Thanks!!

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1 comments Andrew how long have you been writing books?